*** The unofficial RBC Direct Investing thread ***

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2021 5:52 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1054 posts
484 upvotes
Torontario
Only Scotia is tempting but for various reasons I am tethered to RBC overall.

If want to make moves in investments, in my view it's a combination of
A. Direct-investing capabilities (order-entry, tools, margining, research/info, quotes)
B. Cash-management capabilities (EFT movements, LoC, HELOC) to support your investment moves from banking side
C. Full-service brokerage - like WM (Dominion Securities / Trust) - where you might can part of the portfolio to be separately managed

So RBC is mid-pack for me as a combo of these three.

I saw a few comments in other threads having challenges with moving around funds in CIBC and TD. National can't say
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54392 posts
19228 upvotes
Can we buy US securities in RESPs? I know there isn't a USD side for RESPs but wondering if we can use CAD balance to buy US securities.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
5250 posts
2866 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: Can we buy US securities in RESPs? I know there isn't a USD side for RESPs but wondering if we can use CAD balance to buy US securities.
I could do that with TDDI so I assume RBC DI is the same, you have call and get the trade washed if you don't want to convert the currency back and forth. Anyway, you should call them to confirm
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54392 posts
19228 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: Can we buy US securities in RESPs? I know there isn't a USD side for RESPs but wondering if we can use CAD balance to buy US securities.
Called before placing an order.

We can buy US Securities but will always be dinged 1.5% FX fee.

Overbought and had to sell two shares to get rid of the negative cash balance lol.
Jan 15, 2004
388 posts
27 upvotes
Calgary
How long do you find it takes for the different account views to synchronize and show the same value amounts?

I transfered money between my CAD and USD trading account on RBC and it shows in the transactions but show's the right amount in one screen but in the other portfolio screen it's not there.

Also, I tranferred money from my savings account to my Direct Investing account (shows withdrawn from my savings account right away) and then deposited it into my CAD account. I then took a portion of that and transferred it to the USD account. It shows the right amount in the USD account but doesn't show the right amount in the CAD account.

I waited on hold for 30 mins to have the service agent tell me that the reason it's not showing in the CAD side is because I got charged foreign exchange commission. I indicated that I transferred 20k from savings to CAD account and then 15K CAD from the CAD account to the USD account. If they are charging me 5k commission on a 15k trade then we have an issues. They were adamant that everything looked correct on their end. I've asked for it to be escalated to someone else who can help out.

It is common for things to take a few days to settle in the accounts and show up correctly?