Investing

*** The unofficial RBC Direct Investing thread ***

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2020 11:02 am
Member
Jul 6, 2018
410 posts
724 upvotes
gyu138 wrote: I'm fairly new to RBC Direct Investing - is it possible to day trade with it? I noticed that when I buy something, the average price I bought it for isn't updated until the next business day.
Yes. Use the "trading dashboard".
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
5065 posts
2287 upvotes
Vancouver
Does RBC DI accurately track ACB for tax purposes? I have my RRSP/TFSA setup for DRIP, but have avoided using it for my unregistered account as I didn't want to hassle of calculating ACB with the DRIP shares. But if RBC DI keeps track of this as well, I might enable it for my unregistered account too.
Newbie
Nov 21, 2019
62 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
How do you enable options trading in a TFSA on RBC-DI? I'd hate to call in and have them start questioning me about it.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 14, 2015
1151 posts
772 upvotes
brogatta wrote: How do you enable options trading in a TFSA on RBC-DI? I'd hate to call in and have them start questioning me about it.
Under the Place an Order tab, select Options

Click Option Order Entry FAQ

option order.png

Sign and submit the required document.
Once your account is approved for option trading, place your first order.

Not sure if it's still this way, but when I placed my first order years ago,
a pop-up appeared saying I had to phone them to approve my first order.
After that, no phone call required.
Member
Nov 17, 2015
343 posts
72 upvotes
Resolute, NU
I have an Select Conservative investment with RBC and I'd like to temporarily move it to a safer fund while we're going through these turbulent times. What would be my best option? Would a Money Market Fund be suitable for this situation?
Sr. Member
Jan 6, 2015
725 posts
185 upvotes
open RBC in promotion, everything set, but confirmation email does not show up.
emailed RBC 4 days ago, no reply. I guess they have trouble to give me one year 25 trades free now. Market in dumping mode, they may want something else?
Sr. Member
Jan 6, 2015
725 posts
185 upvotes
DurtyNelly wrote: Check your spam folders.
losing faith on RBC, no reply, too many on the phone.
open Practice account to try for RBC direct investing functions and tools, they gave me expired status on market order? Really? I put 7 market order on monday/ tuesday, none of them executed ? Practice accounts is the same function as the real one?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 13, 2012
1110 posts
48 upvotes
Sudbury
reps001 wrote: losing faith on RBC, no reply, too many on the phone.
open Practice account to try for RBC direct investing functions and tools, they gave me expired status on market order? Really? I put 7 market order on monday/ tuesday, none of them executed ? Practice accounts is the same function as the real one?

Are you trying to trade options in the practice account? It doesn't allow options.


DurtyNelly wrote: I have an Select Conservative investment with RBC and I'd like to temporarily move it to a safer fund while we're going through these turbulent times. What would be my best option? Would a Money Market Fund be suitable for this situation?
The only thing "safe" is cash.

The only thing "ultra safe" is physical, precious metals, that you hold in your hand (gold, silver).
Sr. Member
Jan 6, 2015
725 posts
185 upvotes
fuelmizercowboy wrote: Are you trying to trade options in the practice account? It doesn't allow options.
no, no idea about option. only stock and ETF.
Using real dollar account buy a CSE stock because CSE offer some level2 on their web, but nothing appears on CSE website, my order seems it does not send to CSE at all.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
54013 posts
18958 upvotes
I got this email but still don't see L2 quotes lol


Free Real-Time Level 2 Quotes1 on TSX, TSX-V

Now more than ever, it’s crucial to get as much real-time data as possible to inform your trading decisions. In addition to free real-time streaming2 quotes, you now have free real-time level 2 quotes for stocks and ETFs listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange and TSX Venture Exchange.

Level 2 quotes are a powerful tool that will give you up-to-date information on the depth of the market behind a quote, such as the number of shares for the top 10 bid and ask prices.

The Real-Time Level 2 Quote Advantage

An extra line of sight – Get insight into the price action behind a quote’s best bid/ask price to get a feel for market activity.

No minimum balance or trading activity required – RBC Direct Investing® offers free real-time level 2 and real-time streaming quotes to all clients for stocks and ETFs without requiring a minimum balance or trading activity.

About exchange agreements – No exchange agreements required for real-time level 2 quotes for TSX and TSX Venture-listed stocks and ETFs.

====
Update: I see the L2 Quotes in the trading dashboard but not on the regular platform as per this link:
https://www6.royalbank.com/en/di/hubs/i ... l/k72137pd?
Member
Jun 8, 2019
240 posts
339 upvotes
Does RBC DI have an API I can use to create a program to buy/sell without their interface?
I own a service with Public Mobile and with Fido. [removed solicitation]
Newbie
Jan 29, 2018
3 posts
Good you found the Level 2.
Are you finding the RBC trading dashboard extremely slow?
I am finding that it takes at least one to 2 second per mouse click or when entering a sell price. This is very frustrating and I have missed out on adjusting an order this morning. All other webpages are normal and work fast.
Member
Jul 6, 2018
410 posts
724 upvotes
greenwavemf wrote: Good you found the Level 2.
Are you finding the RBC trading dashboard extremely slow?
I am finding that it takes at least one to 2 second per mouse click or when entering a sell price. This is very frustrating and I have missed out on adjusting an order this morning. All other webpages are normal and work fast.
Yes. Ever since the beginning of this spike in volatility, the trading dashboard has been slow and glitchy. Very frustrating.
Jr. Member
Apr 13, 2019
112 posts
11 upvotes
With oil low, I was looking to buy into a mutual fund mainly in oil. Any ideas?

Top