Investing

*** The unofficial RBC Direct Investing thread ***

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2024 1:29 pm
Sep 28, 2011
818 posts
1481 upvotes
Winnipeg
notenoughsleep wrote: Looks like they updated the interface. Not a huge fan...it's nice it shows your ACB next to the current price, but they got rid of showing the dividend from the dropdown menu which sucks.
Just click on the drop down and then on events. Otherwise, I agree. I like the ACB placement, but I wish they'd update their UI.
Images
  • RBCDI Div.jpg
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1451 posts
811 upvotes
Torontario
notenoughsleep wrote: Looks like they updated the interface. Not a huge fan...it's nice it shows your ACB next to the current price, but they got rid of showing the dividend from the dropdown menu which sucks.
What a unmitigated disaster is the new UI of the Trading Dashboard.
Jan 29, 2018
9 posts
7 upvotes
I'm also having trouble liking this new RBC trading dashboard. It seems very awkward. I can not easily bring up watchlists or change workspaces without several clicks. Why not make watchlists as tabs with one click access? I am constantly changing charts back to my preferred settings and the drawing tools are useless. It has promise but needs a lot of work. For now I will chart using Webull, monitor stocks with yahoo, and analysis with Koyfin. They are much better platforms.

PS the platform has crashed several times on me in my first hour.

Ok after, further testing.... its a big useless mess. I can not fit in a combinations of widgets on a single page to make a useful screen. This problem doesn't happen with other platforms. I wonder if stock traders or investors tested this platform before release.

Please keep old dashboard. Its bad but easy to use with watchlists.
Nov 10, 2014
97 posts
40 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I'm annoyed that RBC has been rejecting my sell limits of 5 digits+. Regardless of what side of the meme stock situation you're on, I find it ridiculous that they are basically telling me that I cannot put a certain price I want to sell for.

I called them and the agent said "Just put an alert for when/if the stock reaches that price and put in sell order at market price". If I have no faith in the system before we get there, how can I trust it will let me do it once it happens. Honestly I just want to vent cause it is frustrating.
Dec 9, 2019
242 posts
71 upvotes
RBC wrongly charged me interest for doing a norberts gambit and when i called they said they would refund it. Its been nearly 6 days now and still nothing in my account. Does anyone know if rbc is ever gonna refund ? how much longer do i gotta wait?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
Anyone else have RBCDI credit the wrong dividend amount?

I hold an ADR and the dividend that they credited me is less than is reported.

When I contacted them they brushed me off with a spiel about withholding taxes but they credited the wrong amount BEFORE withholding taxes. The "gross dividend" was wrong.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay, AF $0
MBNA RWE 5.4% grocery/resto
Bank: EQ (1.5%)
Dec 9, 2019
242 posts
71 upvotes
i recently got my margin account approved but when i check the margin excess it shows $0 and its saying i dont have enough "margin excess" to make a purchase when i try to put up an order despite me having cash in the account and never borrowed on margin before. Anyone know how to fix this?
Jun 6, 2014
317 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto, ON
topkekbro wrote: i recently got my margin account approved but when i check the margin excess it shows $0 and its saying i dont have enough "margin excess" to make a purchase when i try to put up an order despite me having cash in the account and never borrowed on margin before. Anyone know how to fix this?
Margin should be based on stock and not cash. I think you need to make your first purchase with the cash your currently have and then they will show you margin to buy more.
IMO, if you have less than 50k cash, you shouldn't go over cash by more than 10% because if your stock drops, you will get margin called.
Dec 9, 2019
242 posts
71 upvotes
icedtea365 wrote: Margin should be based on stock and not cash. I think you need to make your first purchase with the cash your currently have and then they will show you margin to buy more.
IMO, if you have less than 50k cash, you shouldn't go over cash by more than 10% because if your stock drops, you will get margin called.
Forgot to mention that I have stocks already on my account so not sure why it’s still showing $0 ? Maybe it only updates during market hours ?
Jun 6, 2014
317 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto, ON
topkekbro wrote: Forgot to mention that I have stocks already on my account so not sure why it’s still showing $0 ? Maybe it only updates during market hours ?
Then you might want to call to confirm your margin has been approved.
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
9325 posts
6385 upvotes
Vancouver
WTF? RBC DI is showing my investment account is $200k higher than it was on Friday? But my intraday change is showing only +$14k? Some sort of calculation error? Have to print screen and go over my holdings later tonight, but just weird... when I first saw the balance I thought one of my small caps had exploded, but everything looks normal.

edit: STC.V reverse split, haha
Nov 13, 2021
1 posts
Hello everyone. I want to ask if this has happened to anyone else here. I checked my DI account yesterday when they were doing maintenance on it and I looked and it said my margin excess is $-16,000. I even put in $270 into this account too. Is this a glitch in the system or something? Did this happen to anyone else here?
Dec 14, 2017
26 posts
15 upvotes
Is there any remote indication that RBC is considering getting rid of trading commissions?
Penalty Box
Jul 6, 2018
1044 posts
1990 upvotes
nitrous228 wrote: Is there any remote indication that RBC is considering getting rid of trading commissions?
If they ever do, they'd probably be the last Canadian bank to do so.
Dec 14, 2017
26 posts
15 upvotes
If I recall correctly RBC was one of the first major banks to lower trading fees years ago.
Dec 15, 2007
462 posts
136 upvotes
Quebec City
Is there a way to transfer out USD without doing norbert gambit or conversion? To questrade or even USD RBC bank account?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
m5love wrote: Is there a way to transfer out USD without doing norbert gambit or conversion? To questrade or even USD RBC bank account?
Transfer Cash & Foreign Exchange. You can move it to your USD account.
Dec 15, 2007
462 posts
136 upvotes
Quebec City
alanbrenton wrote: Transfer Cash & Foreign Exchange. You can move it to your USD account.
Tried. Under To: dropdown menu it only shows CAD investment account.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
m5love wrote: Tried. Under To: dropdown menu it only shows CAD investment account.
Margin USD to Bank USD works for my account.
Images
  • rbcdi1.JPG

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)