*** The unofficial RBC Direct Investing thread ***

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2020 11:02 am
Apr 13, 2020
9 posts
1 upvote
alanbrenton wrote: I got this email but still don't see L2 quotes lol

Free Real-Time Level 2 Quotes1 on TSX, TSX-V

Now more than ever, it’s crucial to get as much real-time data as possible to inform your trading decisions. In addition to free real-time streaming2 quotes, you now have free real-time level 2 quotes for stocks and ETFs listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange and TSX Venture Exchange.

Level 2 quotes are a powerful tool that will give you up-to-date information on the depth of the market behind a quote, such as the number of shares for the top 10 bid and ask prices.

The Real-Time Level 2 Quote Advantage

An extra line of sight – Get insight into the price action behind a quote’s best bid/ask price to get a feel for market activity.

No minimum balance or trading activity required – RBC Direct Investing® offers free real-time level 2 and real-time streaming quotes to all clients for stocks and ETFs without requiring a minimum balance or trading activity.

About exchange agreements – No exchange agreements required for real-time level 2 quotes for TSX and TSX Venture-listed stocks and ETFs.

====
Update: I see the L2 Quotes in the trading dashboard but not on the regular platform as per this link:
https://www6.royalbank.com/en/di/hubs/i ... l/k72137pd?
Any luck finding it in the RBC App? If I log in through the desktop website login I can see level 2 quotes show up under the summary within a particular stock but the RBC App seems to be broken. When I was considered an "active trader" 3 months ago I had access to the level 2 quotes through the app so I know it used to work with it. I've since lost priveledges but now that the level 2 being offered to all RBC clients as of April 1st it should work right?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54024 posts
18972 upvotes
Brendo1 wrote: Any luck finding it in the RBC App? If I log in through the desktop website login I can see level 2 quotes show up under the summary within a particular stock but the RBC App seems to be broken. When I was considered an "active trader" 3 months ago I had access to the level 2 quotes through the app so I know it used to work with it. I've since lost priveledges but now that the level 2 being offered to all RBC clients as of April 1st it should work right?
I don't use RBCDI mobile, sorry.
Jan 12, 2017
58 posts
67 upvotes
Using RBC direct investing for mutual funds and some basic CDN stocks.

Decided to play with options a bit. Opened paper practice margin account.

And wondering how does this work.

Bought 10 call options on AMZN stock.

Once value went up 200 %.

I went sell and entered sell to close. Sold 10.

Now in the practice account.

AMZN 10 call options is still listed and there is also now AMZN -10.

Is this because its practice account? Or am I missing something.
Jan 6, 2015
731 posts
186 upvotes
bosanac12 wrote: Using RBC direct investing for mutual funds and some basic CDN stocks.

Decided to play with options a bit. Opened paper practice margin account.

And wondering how does this work.

Bought 10 call options on AMZN stock.

Once value went up 200 %.

I went sell and entered sell to close. Sold 10.

Now in the practice account.

AMZN 10 call options is still listed and there is also now AMZN -10.

Is this because its practice account? Or am I missing something.
my practice account never works after oil collapse, function none.
Jan 12, 2017
58 posts
67 upvotes
I am just hoping someone can tell me RBC software is not this buggy with real option moves.

Process is simple...buy to open....sell to close. Not sure why its falling apart.

Seems like TD bank think or swim is 100 times better than RBC direct investing crappy website.
Jul 6, 2018
410 posts
724 upvotes
bosanac12 wrote: I am just hoping someone can tell me RBC software is not this buggy with real option moves.

Process is simple...buy to open....sell to close. Not sure why its falling apart.

Seems like TD bank think or swim is 100 times better than RBC direct investing crappy website.
I've been having so many issues since the spike in volatility started. The trading dashboard was basically dead for like the first hour of the trading today. Holdings have not been updating.

RBC is fine for buy-and-hold investing, rebalancing. Stuff like that. Not great for options, day trading, etc. They don't allow most options strategies anyway. So we're not really their target market.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
4935 posts
945 upvotes
Montreal
Does RBC DI allow both CAD and USD in its registered accounts? Is there a format for CAD and another one for USD?
Thanks.
Apr 1, 2011
47 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
bosanac12 wrote: I am just hoping someone can tell me RBC software is not this buggy with real option moves.

I do use the RBC DI interface for BASIC options for registered accounts. Writing calls, naked calls/puts. It is "OK". It's not buggy perse .... I stick with the main web interface. The Trading dashboard interface is OK for those basic options trades I mentioned, but lately the interface just times out too frequently to be useful (even though I'm in the middle of using it, executing limit orders etc). So take it for what it's worth. But it's NOT "Buggy" in that you get phantom trades, or that data is incorrect!
Jan 12, 2017
58 posts
67 upvotes
Thanks for feedback.

I called them and lets just say the wait time is forever to get hold of someone, will try again tmmrw.

Gonna ask to enable option trading.

Moved enough into RBC DI that should enable it but can't find option on the website to enable.

Seems it requires phone call.
Jul 6, 2018
410 posts
724 upvotes
bosanac12 wrote: Thanks for feedback.

I called them and lets just say the wait time is forever to get hold of someone, will try again tmmrw.

Gonna ask to enable option trading.

Moved enough into RBC DI that should enable it but can't find option on the website to enable.

Seems it requires phone call.
Please let me know what was required for them to enable options trading.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)