Investing

*** The unofficial RBC Direct Investing thread ***

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2020 11:02 am
Jun 8, 2020
58 posts
78 upvotes
Hello,

I really liked level 2 quotes and didn't have much problems since COVID started. But since last week, I have a lot of stability issues. The quotes aren't the same as other sources I look at. Looked at BMO and LSPD stocks and RBC DI trading dashboard values were different from other sources.
Level 2 quotes aren't updating anymore...
Can't connect to my account most of the time.

Anyone else having more problems lately? Do you know the cause of these stability problems?
Feb 15, 2013
735 posts
220 upvotes
Toronto
Hello,

do anyone know if RBC DI will allow Premarket or Afterhours buy/sell... any experience? will there is additional charge apart from 10$ commission.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
5059 posts
2683 upvotes
Anyone knows if we can deposit USD cheque directly into the USD DI account now at the branch? It was a few years back and they told me they were working on that. Last year I tried and they told me they couldn't and wanted to hold my cheque in the USD chequing account for 15 days before I could move it into DI account. I left and told told them I could do that with TDDI for many years now and the money would be available for me immediately, no hold.
Dec 15, 2007
276 posts
95 upvotes
Quebec City
What a mistake going with RDI. Shit interface. Will be withdrawing.
Nov 22, 2015
23 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
RBC DI makes profit out of your investment. You can never sell at market price. It is always behind for a few cents if not a dollar. Always set a limit buy and sell for your shares. What a rip off. They would still charge you commission even if you have more than 100k worth investment. There is not real-time stock pricing. It is just a rip off.

I am assume it is the same for all Canadian banks. When are we gonna reach the level of the US brokerage firms?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
5059 posts
2683 upvotes
They have this stupid rule on naked PUT where you need to have at least $50K in your portfolio before they allow you to sell naked PUT. I told them unlike naked CALL, naked PUT is limited loss. Why do I need $50K if my naked PUT only say $10K and I have more than $10K cash in my account? I don't think TDDI has such rule
Feb 5, 2017
5 posts
1 upvote
aerodynamic wrote: There is not real-time stock pricing. It is just a rip off.
There are real-time stocks pricing at RBCDI. You just need to figure out how to get it when you are on you PC or mobile app (I verified it with other real time stock pricing sources). Also level 2 quotes for free (not available on mobile app) and you can find how to get it searching this thread. I have no regrets being with RBCDI.
Nov 22, 2015
23 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
TonyNew wrote: There are real-time stocks pricing at RBCDI. You just need to figure out how to get it when you are on you PC or mobile app (I verified it with other real time stock pricing sources). Also level 2 quotes for free (not available on mobile app) and you can find how to get it searching this thread. I have no regrets being with RBCDI.
It comes with conditions like having a min of $250k in RBCDI accounts or making more than 30 trades per quarter etc. I am asking why it has to be conditional on the stated examples. Please share if you have anything outside of what I said.
Feb 5, 2017
5 posts
1 upvote
aerodynamic wrote: It comes with conditions like having a min of $250k in RBCDI accounts or making more than 30 trades per quarter etc. I am asking why it has to be conditional on the stated examples. Please share if you have anything outside of what I said.
I got email from RBCDI in April that real-time level 2 quotes streaming now is free and no minimum balance required, and here is one of their pages: https://www.rbcdirectinvesting.com/inve ... sions.html

From your PC go to "My Portfolio" -> "Place an Order" and then Launch Trading Dashboard, enter your ticker and you should be able to see live streaming. I didn't figured out how to get it from mobile app. Probably it is not available.
Nov 22, 2015
23 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
TonyNew wrote: I got email from RBCDI in April that real-time level 2 quotes streaming now is free and no minimum balance required, and here is one of their pages: https://www.rbcdirectinvesting.com/inve ... sions.html

From your PC go to "My Portfolio" -> "Place an Order" and then Launch Trading Dashboard, enter your ticker and you should be able to see live streaming. I didn't figured out how to get it from mobile app. Probably it is not available.
Thanks. I see now.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54002 posts
18947 upvotes
L2 quotes are available for Canadian equities but it seems lacking for US equities.

Not a huge concern for me at the moment as I only have Canadian shares.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54002 posts
18947 upvotes
L2 is now appearing under the Detailed Quote page. :)
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
1147 posts
762 upvotes
Is it possible to buy warrants at RBC DI?

I know I've sold warrants there, because they were issued by a company that I owned,
but I'm not able to find the location that warrants are available to buy.

Thanks
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54002 posts
18947 upvotes
In the Trading Dashboard, any way to remove some recent quotes? Mine has like 50 on it already (when it says 15 Recent Searches) and if I click on each, I'm only given the option to "trade".