• May 10th, 2021 5:24 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal

unsafe USB plug charger?

Sometimes when I plug various things into it to charge, it would either charge normally or heat up like crazy to the pt of being very hot to the touch and the device is not charged. What is causing this...?
USB plug.png
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
8 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
It's junk. Throw it out, and buy a good quality name brand one.

Not only could this one damage your equipment, it could kill you via a fire or electrocution.
Feb 9, 2008
409 posts
332 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
It could be causing a short due to quality issues. You should get rid of it before it catches fire.
Test your cable with another adapter as well, since those can also heat up if the wires are damaged inside.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8555 upvotes
GTA
Is it a Dollarama or some no name Amazon/AliBaba brand?
If it's causing those issues then it's definitely junk, throw it out before one of the issues mentioned (fire, damage, electrocution) happens.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Tx guys. It's a Logiix (probably no-name) and I got it free in one of those special offers when I got my phone+plan at The Source many years ago. It doesn't overheat when I charge my wireless keyboard but it potentially gets hot when I'm trying to charge my battery packs.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8555 upvotes
GTA
tranquility922 wrote: Tx guys. It's a Logiix (probably no-name) and I got it free in one of those special offers when I got my phone+plan at The Source many years ago. It doesn't overheat when I charge my wireless keyboard but it potentially gets hot when I'm trying to charge my battery packs.
Ah. Could be the draw of the battery packs that is making it overheat I guess. If you don't have a decent alternative charger, I would avoid using it on devices that draw a lot of power, it's obviously an old charger meant for smaller devices. Of you have an abundance of chargers, dump it to be safe.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
BernardRyder wrote: Ah. Could be the draw of the battery packs that is making it overheat I guess. If you don't have a decent alternative charger, I would avoid using it on devices that draw a lot of power, it's obviously an old charger meant for smaller devices. Of you have an abundance of chargers, dump it to be safe.
Tx, that makes sense. I just realized it myself since I'm nowhere near a techie...maybe it's the battery pack causing it?
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
3474 posts
2697 upvotes
Vancouver
Buy a good 4-6 port charger and use those. There is a difference in "voltage quality", as these devices are essentially converting an AC voltage (sine wave) to DC voltage (flat steady voltage). The cheaper ones donot have good enough filtering and so provide a noisy/dirty voltage to the device. Which can impact the device life & charging
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)