Personal Finance

Unsecured LOC rates and credit limit increase (currently CIBC)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2020 6:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2008
1523 posts
510 upvotes
ON

Unsecured LOC rates and credit limit increase (currently CIBC)

Currently have unsecured LOC at CIBC (had for about 11 years) with $25,500 limit and prime + 3.5%. I've been basically using it as a free chequing account and overdraft. Is that a decent amount/rate?

What's the potential of increasing the credit limit and/or asking for a better rate? What would the process typically be? I don't really want to go through a whole application process/proof of employment or whatever, but if it could automatically qualify like how my credit cards offer increases each year or so would be nice.
1 reply
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1614 posts
1137 upvotes
Montreal, QC
sprdave wrote: Currently have unsecured LOC at CIBC (had for about 11 years) with $25,500 limit and prime + 3.5%. I've been basically using it as a free chequing account and overdraft. Is that a decent amount/rate?

What's the potential of increasing the credit limit and/or asking for a better rate? What would the process typically be? I don't really want to go through a whole application process/proof of employment or whatever, but if it could automatically qualify like how my credit cards offer increases each year or so would be nice.
I would say that your rate is "decent" (not great but I wouldn't classify it as bad either).

You can refer to please-share-your-unsecured-line-credit ... s-1834473/ for examples of rates that others have gotten at other institutions.

I can only speak for myself and my lines of credit have not been increased nor has the interest rate changed for the positive without me speaking with the institution. I got all my unsecured lines of credit as a pre-approvals (I didn't ask any of the institutions who gave it to me for a line of credit) but after getting it, nothing changed in terms of an increase in credit limit or a lowering of the interest rate unless I asked for it and then was subjected to the standard credit application/check process.

During these times (of Covid-19), it is probably more difficult to get a credit limit increase or a decrease in the interest rate so I haven't tried it but I have done it in the past and was successful (with my unsecured line of credit with TD Canada Trust). I haven't tried it with my other 2 lines of credits at the other 2 financial institutions but would assume that the process and granting process (or declining process) is the same.