Food & Drink

"Unusual" restaurants in GTA?

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2018 5:59 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2158 posts
538 upvotes
In Hiding

"Unusual" restaurants in GTA?

Getting bored with food in general except when really hungry. Spring is coming, so want to try something different.
What are the most unusual restaurants you've been to in the GTA? Can be cheap or not, any ethnicity, preferably with parking nearby ...
25 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
45820 posts
8822 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
SO food being of a different ethnicity or type is unusual now?

I know you didnt mean to give off a bad vibe. You probably put it in quotes bc you just didnt know how to describe it. But best to watch how you say that. It just invokes images of ignorant people screaming bloody horror at the animal cruelty of pigs hanging in china town windows (meanwhile they had bacon and sausage for breakfast).


For something different... try ethopian food. Theyve been popping up a lot more especially along danforth.

Lots of spicy savoury and sauce dishes meant to be eaten with a type of flat bread and/or rice.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2158 posts
538 upvotes
In Hiding
Oh didn't know it came out that way. I've just had for lunch - squid tentacles salad, cold tofu in Szechuan marinade and small gizzards, fish paste stuffed in peppers, which I found at T&T - and have eaten lots of ethnic foods with Indian being my favourite when I can get to Gerrard Street. I was more thinking of something like the Spice Route with fusion food and decor/atmosphere.

Thanks, will look at Ethiopian on Danforth, any ideas for good Moroccan and Egyptian?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
45820 posts
8822 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Catnippy wrote: Oh didn't know it came out that way. I've just had for lunch - squid tentacles salad, cold tofu in Szechuan marinade and small gizzards, fish paste stuffed in peppers, which I found at T&T - and have eaten lots of ethnic foods with Indian being my favourite when I can get to Gerrard Street. I was more thinking of something like the Spice Route with fusion food and decor/atmosphere.

Thanks, will look at Ethiopian on Danforth, any ideas for good Moroccan and Egyptian?
Ahh... So you're looking for a more upscale dining experience?

http://www.lamesafilipinokitchen.com/
Filipino food with a more polished and upscale twist. Its not a big loungey experience like SPice Route. IT's a small venue. But its nice and quaint. Its nice enough for a date.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1073 upvotes
medieval times was a unusual dining experience....

Honestly korean bbq, that restaurant that brings you slabs of meat on a stick at cuts it for you (forget the name)
are the most unusual restaurants I've been to.

In terms of unusual, do you meat food, setup(the way you get the food), entertainment?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2158 posts
538 upvotes
In Hiding
Lamesa looks good, sure beats Jesse Jr. Prefer Markham/Scarborough/RH though ...

I eat anything and everything. And no, it doesn't have to be upscale, also liked Brars on Islington for atmosphere.
Had hotpots, churrascarias, Korean and Mongolian bbq, middle Eastern, Mexican. Now that I'm being asked, I think I'm looking for the atmosphere first, then the food.
Nepalese sounds interesting as long as not Chinese-like, no burgers/steaks/ribs/sports bars/pasta/salad (had too much of that doing business travel with some conservative eaters).
Somewhere with good rollmops with a hot breadroll and butter is also okay!
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
527 upvotes
What about the place where you eat in total darkness? Never been, but it seemed like a neat concept to try out.

Place is called O.Noir
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
45820 posts
8822 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
I had porchette & co. Interesting to see porchetta get its own restaurant , it was on king w.

Portions... a bit small. But i guess thats to get with in $10.95 on an expensive real estate part of dt.
It was what looked to be 5oz of porchetta & 3 pieces of skin crackling. It came with one side of coleslaw, fries, or beans. $2 upcharge for kale or poutine.
I thought it was good. Tried it through ritual's $15 off king st resto promo.
Search "food is king"

With the $15 off promo i wasnt afraid to throw in 2 sauces for an upcharge of $0.75 each.
I had cheese sauce which was a very creamy nacho/mac n cheese style sauce. It had a mild cheddar taste and went well with the leaner pieces of porchetta and fries.
Also had the porchetta gravy which was a nice consistency. It reminds me of the kfc consistency but with a pork flavor.

My partner had the fried chicken with beans. Also $10.95 for the protein+side. It was okay. But passable boneless fried chicken. A bit of white and dark meat.

Down side of this place is the portions.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
13960 posts
9044 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Tiolet restaurant and Maid Cafe.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2017
1264 posts
1246 upvotes
Naan x kabob
Kub khao Thai eatery
Ravi soups
Gyu gyu ya
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 9, 2006
12064 posts
2671 upvotes
Catnippy wrote: Lamesa looks good, sure beats Jesse Jr. Prefer Markham/Scarborough/RH though ...

I eat anything and everything. And no, it doesn't have to be upscale, also liked Brars on Islington for atmosphere.
Had hotpots, churrascarias, Korean and Mongolian bbq, middle Eastern, Mexican. Now that I'm being asked, I think I'm looking for the atmosphere first, then the food.
Nepalese sounds interesting as long as not Chinese-like, no burgers/steaks/ribs/sports bars/pasta/salad (had too much of that doing business travel with some conservative eaters).
Somewhere with good rollmops with a hot breadroll and butter is also okay!
notfromqc wrote: What about the place where you eat in total darkness? Never been, but it seemed like a neat concept to try out.

Place is called O.Noir
O.Noir is definitely atmosphere (or lack of one) first and food a distant second.

What about those Brazilian steakhouses at Copacabana or Red Violin? Tasty meats and entertainment as well. Izakaya is fun (it's like tapas). The atmosphere is very loud. Recently went to Zakkushi and thought it was good food.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1073 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote: O.Noir is definitely atmosphere (or lack of one) first and food a distant second.

What about those Brazilian steakhouses at Copacabana or Red Violin? Tasty meats and entertainment as well. Izakaya is fun (it's like tapas). The atmosphere is very loud. Recently went to Zakkushi and thought it was good food.
thats what I meant
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8517 posts
5390 upvotes
Toronto
Omakase wrote: Kub khao Thai eatery
What's unusual about Kub Khao? I love that place but it's just regular Thai imo. I prefer Eat BKK over it though.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16823 posts
3962 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote: What about those Brazilian steakhouses at Copacabana or Red Violin?
Sadly, Red violin is no more. Thankfully Roh day oh (Rodeo) took it's place and is doing quite well.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2017
1264 posts
1246 upvotes
ReeGee wrote: What's unusual about Kub Khao? I love that place but it's just regular Thai imo. I prefer Eat BKK over it though.
It’s location, it’s two different dining areas with different artwork and atmosphere
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8517 posts
5390 upvotes
Toronto
Omakase wrote: It’s location, it’s two different dining areas with different artwork and atmosphere
Ohh ok I see what you mean but I was thinking OP was asking for actual unusual food which aside maybe from the "Shrimp Donut" Kub Khao is pretty standard Thai.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 29, 2005
8666 posts
2595 upvotes
Mississauga
PAI. Not unusual, but great food, great vibe, great atmosphere. This place is always busy.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8517 posts
5390 upvotes
Toronto
A few recommendations

Eat BKK - Specifically the Night market and Bangkok fusion menus. Their regular thai menu is excellent as well and my favorite Thai in the city.

Chris Jerk for their Jerk Shwarma which is amazing. Allwyns for their Jerk Chicken on Cocobread Sandwhich or one of a kind patties which are staples in my neighborhood.

Momofuku noodle bar. Gourmet style ramen in a trendier bigger dining space than most ramen spots in the city. Pricey but worth it if you're looking for a unique dining experience.

Lees - The Singapore slaw they're known for is unreal. Very pricey place as well but again worth it if you're looking for good unique dining.

Top