• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2023 8:52 am
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 28, 2009
330 posts
116 upvotes

Unwarranted Roaming fees

I only use my cell for emailing on hotspots while travelling abroad. On occasion as I enter a new hotspot area some texts will roll in even though I haven't accepted any roaming services. The last time it occurred, I replied but within a minute the service was shut down as expected.

A month later my bill arrives and sure enough, Roger charged me $12 for essentially one minute of service (one text) even though I never agreed to any roaming service.

This has occurred a few times now and always seems to happen when I enter a new hotspot so I'm just curious why/how?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
4028 posts
1319 upvotes
when you say hotspot, is that just a local wifi connection? do you have roaming turned off? it wouldn't cost anything off the wifi for data and it wouldn't cost anything if you don't answer the incoming call or text. You are only billed the $12 the minute you answer the call or reply to the text. i'm not aware you have to "accept" the roaming service. i understand it's part your agreement and so, only pay when you use it.
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
Rogers EPP - $40 Canada/USA-wide + 6GB
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
2634 posts
2809 upvotes
Very likely that you have "Roam like home" enabled in your Rogers account.
Receiving SMS abroad is free with Rogers, but if you reply to an SMS (or send an SMS, or use 1kb of data or 1 second of cellular voice) while you are abroad, that triggers the $12 daily charge for the "Roam like home".
Jul 22, 2006
713 posts
1402 upvotes
Ninja15 wrote: I only use my cell for emailing on hotspots while travelling abroad. On occasion as I enter a new hotspot area some texts will roll in even though I haven't accepted any roaming services. The last time it occurred, I replied but within a minute the service was shut down as expected.

A month later my bill arrives and sure enough, Roger charged me $12 for essentially one minute of service (one text) even though I never agreed to any roaming service.

This has occurred a few times now and always seems to happen when I enter a new hotspot so I'm just curious why/how?
Set your phone so you can't roam while using data before crossing the border and don't reply to texts unless you're on wifi and have your phone in airplane mode. This is extremely important if you receive MMS and not an SMS message as MMS uses data.

I've done that on multiple trips to the US and never incurred a roaming charge.
[OP]
Dec 28, 2009
330 posts
116 upvotes
CrazyJo82 wrote: when you say hotspot, is that just a local wifi connection? do you have roaming turned off? it wouldn't cost anything off the wifi for data and it wouldn't cost anything if you don't answer the incoming call or text. You are only billed the $12 the minute you answer the call or reply to the text. i'm not aware you have to "accept" the roaming service. i understand it's part your agreement and so, only pay when you use it.
Yes... local wifi. Here's the thing.... I never accepted their roaming policy so as quickly as I replied they turned my texting capability off.

ahoroba wrote: Very likely that you have "Roam like home" enabled in your Rogers account.
Receiving SMS abroad is free with Rogers, but if you reply to an SMS (or send an SMS, or use 1kb of data or 1 second of cellular voice) while you are abroad, that triggers the $12 daily charge for the "Roam like home".
Not familiar with the 'Roam like Home' setting... will look into it. If the $12 fee is being triggered.... shouldn't it stay active for the remainder of the day though?

canlabman wrote: Set your phone so you can't roam while using data before crossing the border and don't reply to texts unless you're on wifi and have your phone in airplane mode. This is extremely important if you receive MMS and not an SMS message as MMS uses data.
I would have to keep toggling the airplane mode off to access my e-mails.

Rogers did ultimately reverse the charge but I now know not to reply, even if I'm not agreeing to the roaming terms.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
5969 posts
4514 upvotes
LaLaLand
Ninja15 wrote: Yes... local wifi. Here's the thing.... I never accepted their roaming policy so as quickly as I replied they turned my texting capability off.

Not familiar with the 'Roam like Home' setting... will look into it. If the $12 fee is being triggered.... shouldn't it stay active for the remainder of the day though?

Rogers did ultimately reverse the charge but I now know not to reply, even if I'm not agreeing to the roaming terms.
If you never want to connect to a mobile network outside of Canada, manually select the Rogers network instead of automatic. It will search for Rogers but never find it and it will be on SOS.

Why do you need to turn off airplane mode to check email? You can turn wifi on/off and then connect to a wifi network.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
2428 posts
1803 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Ninja15 wrote: Yes... local wifi. Here's the thing.... I never accepted their roaming policy so as quickly as I replied they turned my texting capability off.

"Roam like home" is automatically included/activated with some cellphone packages (at least it is with Roger's sister company Fido). By having that package, you are agreeing to it. Back when it was ~$7/day or so for US, I activated my mobile hotspot for a few days during my vacation and it cost me and ~$35+tax. You do receive an incoming SMS informing you about it.

I believe that incoming SMS with Rogers and Fido is free anywhere in the world (but you of course pay for outgoing SMS). Sounds like you paid to send your SMS informing them that you don't want it.

In terms of having to toggle airplane mode off to access your emails, you shouldn't have to do this. Airplane mode can be on/activated on your cellphone and you can activate the WiFi of your cellphone after turning on airplane mode and you should have no problems connecting to WiFi and browsing the internet or getting your email. Airplane mode just turns off all radio signals and WiFi on the device but you can then turn each one on independently one by one. Of course, it is no longer technically on airplane mode if you manually turn on WiFi or Bluetooth but that doesn't exclude the fact that the airplane mode icon is on/activated and you can still activate and use WiFi or Bluetooth as long as you activate these features individually AFTER you've activated airplane mode.

I have a few cellphones with me when I travel (US cellphone and an older BlackBerry phone that I use for email only). My older BlackBerry phone is always on airplane mode and the WiFi is always on. It doesn't have an active SIM card in it but that is beside the point and wouldn't make any difference.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23437 posts
4909 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Why would you reply?

Just turn data roaming off, don't reply to any texts or answer any phone calls and your fine.

or disable your sim, or just remove your sim.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
2031 posts
1890 upvotes
Canada

Remove roam like home.

Use a local sim / eSim on second line wherever you are and you’ll never get bill shock.

Easier to deal with a $1 or so of charge for any incidents than a full $12 charge (soon to be $13 I think for USA and even more for international)

I’m on telus but I removed easy roam.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
5969 posts
4514 upvotes
LaLaLand
Samshares wrote: Remove roam like home.

Use a local sim / eSim on second line wherever you are and you’ll never get bill shock.

Easier to deal with a $1 or so of charge for any incidents than a full $12 charge (soon to be $13 I think for USA and even more for international)

I’m on telus but I removed easy roam.
Just read this, https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/teleco ... -1.6762955
Starting March 8, Telus will charge customers $14 a day when they roam on their devices in the United States, and $16 a day when they do so internationally. That's an increase from $12 and $15, respectively. Customers of the Telus-owned discount brand Koodo will see a similar fee hike.

Rival Bell is making a similar move starting the following day, raising its U.S. roaming rate from $12 to $13, and going from $15 to $16 internationally. Those increases will also be in effect at Bell-owned subsidiaries including Virgin Mobile.
Rogers has not raised their fees...yet.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
2031 posts
1890 upvotes
Canada
batcave wrote: Just read this, https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/teleco ... -1.6762955

Rogers has not raised their fees...yet.
Well if you feel $12 is worth paying for then go ahead.

For me that is too much as is.

Also Rogers will follow through just a matter of few months, ever since the blackout, they have been waiting several months post the other two rather than joining them hand in hand to make changes.