• Jan 18th, 2020 4:52 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
3964 posts
1932 upvotes

UofT Lecturer Requires Students to Follow him on Instagram for Marks

LINK

SMH. Sounds like a shyster and now he's going to do more harm to his name. His "good deeds" on Instagram come across so incredibly fake too. Maybe he'll pull, "it's a joke/social experiment bro" angle.
14 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19240 posts
3361 upvotes
Toronto
He's just following Jordan Peterson's example on how to start an online cult and make money scamming people.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1235 posts
1242 upvotes
Absolutely disgusting.

If anyone deserves to get decimated on social media by the social media mob it's him. I hope this story gains momentum and he regrets ever considering such complete bs
Jan 15, 2017
295 posts
146 upvotes
Vancouver
Buying a physical copy of the latest edition of Huynh's book, Dumb Money, is listed as being worth 1 per cent.
What the actual f***? In what universe is this anything resembling OK?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
6972 posts
958 upvotes
Ottawa
digger314 wrote: What the actual f***? In what universe is this anything resembling OK?
Yeah, that's pretty horrible. As far as I'm concerned, it's basically a requirement students to give him money for the mark. I've seen courses where the textbook being used was written by the professor (and thus they receive a cut), but even then there was no official requirement for each student to buy it (for example, a group of students could buy one copy between themselves and share it, which not not violate copyright laws unless they photocopy it or something similar)..
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3735 posts
2622 upvotes
Toronto
Piro21 wrote: He's just following Jordan Peterson's example on how to start an online cult and make money scamming people.
Awwww, discrediting Jordan Peterson because you don't agree with his views. Cute. He has never done anything of the kind. Keep making things up I guess.
FreezingCanada wrote: We voted him in as God of RFD last month. Where were you during elections...?
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19240 posts
3361 upvotes
Toronto
CoolDudeClan wrote: Awwww, discrediting Jordan Peterson because you don't agree with his views. Cute. He has never done anything of the kind. Keep making things up I guess.
Totally not a cult
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11666 posts
6231 upvotes
Brampton
It's not new.

But this guy is just shameless.

I still remember when I went to school the professors would say YOU MUST BUY THIS BOOK to pass, all the material you will need to know is in it. IT MUST BE THE LATEST EDITION. The book was $100-120 (Professional Program)
Reality was the professor was the Author or co-author of the book. You needed like 30% of the book if even that.
They told you needed the study guide which was always another $20-30
They would kick kids out of class for having copied books claiming copyrights.
It's a huge racket.

University is a huge scam money maker for the profs and the school. You go in as a number and you come out as a number. What ever happens in between that's all on you. The school, the profs they don't give a crap about you.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4899 upvotes
Here 'n There
Horrible. The fact you can click on a smartphone to follow someone and hand over a few bucks for a book does not mean you understand the course any better than the next person. This guy should be fired.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4027 posts
1173 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
what about the people who are *NOT* on face book or Instagram or twitter? WE EXIST. Some People think everyone's on social media, they then say "hey did u see the pics from last nite" and I will reply "what pics?" and they will say, "You know, the pics I took from last nites bowling" and I reply and said no you never sent them to me, duh! and the guy has the nerve to say "oh they're on face book" and I reply by saying "not everyone's on face book you moron" and he then says "oh your right, im gonna email them to you now" and i reply "thats right B**ch"
Hi
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1298 posts
303 upvotes
That’s it? That’s all your response is.

Um yeah, I don’t know what you’re talking about. by the definition of a “cult”... not a cult.

Lol
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13241 posts
2580 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Why has UT gone from an academic institution for cdn elites to a liberal snowflake boiling room?? Pathetic what it has become. #fact
Last edited by aznnorth on Jan 18th, 2020 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3254 posts
1086 upvotes
Woodbridge
"Huynh's website describes him as a sessional lecturer at U of T, a director at a wealth management firm, a condo developer and the host of two financial TV shows. His website also includes several extremely positive student testimonials. "

He probably doesn't need this job and is using this gimmick to grow his profile and exposure.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
195 upvotes
Markham, ON
Free marks is free marks.
Those are some pretty easy free mark to get.
I could follow him on a device I don't use in an account I log into and still get participation marks.

What he requested his student to do may make sense depending on what the course is about since there is so much online communication these days. Distance learning and all.

Remember offline communication still exist and is still around!