• Last Updated:
  • Jun 28th, 2010 1:44 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
1151 posts
53 upvotes
Mistro wrote: Very disgusting, but seems kinda smart. They're photographing and processing everyone in there. They can cross reference with the thousands (millions?) of photos yesterday.

Of course there's now gonna be questions about democratic rights etc etc etc... But you can't say they weren't warned to "leave or you will be arrested".

What's ironic is the blac bloc on the bikes had long left the scene. The people left seem to be mainly media and rubber neckers hanging around taking photos.
How do you leave if you are boxed in. Yesterday at Novotel hotel apparently the protestors were boxed first and they asked to leave...either the officers were insane or trying to justify arresting peaceful protestors.
Sep 9, 2009
265 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
I think out of this whole event I've come away with a profound disgust for those in charge of the police force at G20.

It seems like their main strategy is to surround the entire protest, bystanders and media included, fence them in, then arrest anyone who wants or attempts to leave. The black bloc *******s are usually the first to realize that this is happening, and distance themselves from the group to cause mayhem elsewhere. It's a terrible strategy that only frustrates.

[IMG]http://images.scribblelive.com/2010/6/2 ... fe20f2.jpg[/IMG]

Several peaceful gatherings were forced into these human pens today... a bunch of them were just bystanders and pedestrians hanging out.

And what about the protest zone in Queens Park!? How could they even justify that rush in last night. They designated that to be a safe/free speech area, and then shut it all down by surrounding and arresting those within the park.
What about those van drivers running red lights and blowing by stopped streetcars... honking as they drive through... unbelievable.

I understand that the policemen and women are only taking orders and are here doing their jobs, but as someone visiting from another country, I am appalled.
Apr 10, 2009
691 posts
113 upvotes
dealstime wrote: How do you leave if you are boxed in. Yesterday at Novotel hotel apparently the protestors were boxed first and they asked to leave...either the officers were insane or trying to justify arresting peaceful protestors.
Sorry guess the reply came before I edited :) They were actually told to leave and given warnings about 5 minutes before they became boxed in. I guess people took it as a bluff and decided to hang out. Funny thing is, the real instigators were long gone...

What confuses me as well is all those times the cops continued to tell people to leave AFTER they had blocked in; similar to what you mentioned at the Novotel hotel, and a few other places like at Soho.

It would make more sense to say something like "Sorry, you didn't leave. You're screwed now"
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14059 posts
2505 upvotes
Toronto
Cops told people to leave because they know something is gonna happen. If the people are too stubborn or want to challenge them then they gonna get hurt.

I don't get these guys. They complain that they get caught by police and hurt, and then when the cops tell them to leave they go "oh our rights". So yes you have rights but anyone with a brain would think "hmmm tons of cops in riot gear asking us to leave.. maybe we should leave".

I think these protesters are really stubborn and stupid people. Perhaps they need to get belted with rubber bullets, the boots and the sticks to the heads and then some sense will be knocked into them.

Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
1151 posts
53 upvotes
hightech wrote: Cops told people to leave because they know something is gonna happen. If the people are too stubborn or want to challenge them then they gonna get hurt.

I don't get these guys. They complain that they get caught by police and hurt, and then when the cops tell them to leave they go "oh our rights". So yes you have rights but anyone with a brain would think "hmmm tons of cops in riot gear asking us to leave.. maybe we should leave".

I think these protesters are really stubborn and stupid people. Perhaps they need to get belted with rubber bullets, the boots and the sticks to the heads and then some sense will be knocked into them.
The last time I checked peaceful protests were legal in this country. Unless some secret law was passed overnight it still stands.

Acc. to the star
Live Blog: Sunday June 27, 6:30p.m.

7:32 p.m. Eastern Ave. Protesters Detained

Star photographer Lucas Oleniuk reports that Toronto police are detaining everyone left in front of the detention centre.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30519 posts
1482 upvotes
Fernando Poo
hightech wrote: Cops told people to leave because they know something is gonna happen. If the people are too stubborn or want to challenge them then they gonna get hurt.

Well, here's a guy who will defend our "freedoms".
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
1806 posts
50 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada
I'm very worried that one of my favourite stores along Queen Street (apart from Starbucks) has been vandalised.....

my favourite stores along Queen Street West are:
  • Neon
  • So Hip It Hurts
  • GetOutside
I wonder how will the lads down at MuchMusic HQ are adjusting their post-G20 stress syndromes...
Less Negativeness, More Positiveness
Moins des négativités, Plus de positivités
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17563 posts
1115 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
FYI, Here's actually what was decided at the summit - i.e. the whole point of this thread ;)
toronto star blog wrote: 7:41 p.m. Toronto G20 Summit Accomplishments

The world’s leaders emerged from the G20 Summit with an agreement for advanced economies to cut their deficits in half by 2013 and stabilize their debt loads by 2016, according to Canadian Press.

Other key measures agreed to include:

— Setting up a working group on international development issues, the first time the G20 has given itself a formalized a role in helping poor countries.

— Reaffirming some of the countries’ support for the Copenhagen Accord to control greenhouse gas emissions.

— Continue developing strategies to cut fossil fuel subsidies.

— Speeding up reform of the IMF so that emerging markets have more say.

— Launching a food security program.

— Reiterating support for the Doha round of global free trade talks.
Jun 20, 2010
60 posts
GTA
Mistro wrote: Very disgusting, but seems kinda smart. They're photographing and processing everyone in there. They can cross reference with the thousands (millions?) of photos yesterday.

Of course there's now gonna be questions about democratic rights etc etc etc... But you can't say they weren't warned to "leave or you will be arrested".

What's ironic is the blac bloc on the bikes had long left the scene. The people left seem to be mainly media and rubber neckers hanging around taking photos.
actually how can they ensure who they caught is the person that claims who they are (especially if they dont have ID). so one can claim john smith and then what? especially with >600 arrested now, this will take days to completely finish no?
Apr 11, 2008
281 posts
hagbard wrote: Of course its completely expected.
If they really wanted to get together to decide issues (no real purpose, such decisions are not made by the figure heads of state), they could do so in remote areas. I've suggested Antarctica, no protesters will go there. And we have the benefit of turning the heat off when they arrive. :twisted:
Fact is, the protests are expected and desired by those in power to create an image.
+1
Someone mentioned that they could have had the meeting in the middle of Lake Ontario on a luxury liner.
But no, they want to get close to you and me :( They want to show us just how hard they are working at their jobs, just so that we know who to vote for in the next election ;)
Apr 10, 2009
691 posts
113 upvotes
Watching this further, it seems like something bigger is going on. The cops seem pretty tight lipped about it. Maybe there's something going on that they're being quiet about for a reason :confused:

Earlier on there were quite a few ETF officers hanging around further behind the bike cops with real guns (vs. bean bag and tear gas guns) right before the riot cops closed in on everyone.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2010
1375 posts
97 upvotes
neonshaun wrote: I think out of this whole event I've come away with a profound disgust for those in charge of the police force at G20.

It seems like their main strategy is to surround the entire protest, bystanders and media included, fence them in, then arrest anyone who wants or attempts to leave. The black bloc *******s are usually the first to realize that this is happening, and distance themselves from the group to cause mayhem elsewhere. It's a terrible strategy that only frustrates.

[IMG]http://images.scribblelive.com/2010/6/2 ... fe20f2.jpg[/IMG]

Several peaceful gatherings were forced into these human pens today... a bunch of them were just bystanders and pedestrians hanging out.

And what about the protest zone in Queens Park!? How could they even justify that rush in last night. They designated that to be a safe/free speech area, and then shut it all down by surrounding and arresting those within the park.
What about those van drivers running red lights and blowing by stopped streetcars... honking as they drive through... unbelievable.

I understand that the policemen and women are only taking orders and are here doing their jobs, but as someone visiting from another country, I am appalled.

That's quite a funny picture. :lol:
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2005
3903 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
Quote from the star:
"A few dozen die-hards are hanging on, still facing police at Queen St. W. and Spadina. A few of those danced on roller blades, wearing skimpy women’s lingerie. They are performing in front of police, as the crowd cheers them on. Traffic is starting to move north on Spadina Ave.

It looks like the standoff has come to a soggy end."

Wow so protesting for your cause is only worth it on sunny days. Losers all of them.
You say get high, I say hello!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
42570 posts
5945 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
wasserware wrote:I have a few friends who were ex military (one ex spec op) and they are all die hard airsoft fans with tons of authentic looking rifles made up of the same materials as the real deal except it fires pellets complete with scope, night vision googles, red dot sight and full military fatigue. They are thinking of organizing together as a CPPU (Civilian and Police Protection Unit) and roam around in downtown to scare away those black bloc F**** destroying everything and setting things on fire. After they learned that ETF forces guys with real guns are going to be around, they decided to call it off :D
I'm not sure about that... I doubt guys in the military @ such a high level would bother playing air soft... they do that enough in their real occupation.
Guys who are "spec ops" are almost always career military professionals.

I know many soldiers don't do 'soldier' things in their spare time...
I only know of 1... he owns AR15s and enjoys going to the shooting range... all of his military buddies think he's a pyscho because he has them outside of work... lol
Aug 20, 2009
888 posts
119 upvotes
As I keep watching the news, the more I feel that the commanders and those in change of tactical coordination are complete morons. It makes a lot of sense to box in peaceful protesters because they think it will turn violent? Therefore, by this logic, no protests are allowed.

Either they are morons or just wanting to prove that the 1 billion isn't a total blunder. Well thats what you get for hosting an event like this is a dense city...Human boxes? wtf? :confused:
Warning: Hereinabove may contain traces of irony and/or sarcasm!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)