Home & Garden

UPDATE $5,000 Canada Greener Homes Retrofits grant program now announced!

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2021 11:26 am
Oct 9, 2012
149 posts
47 upvotes
SK
I’ve already purchased a two ceiling head cassette mini split system and it’s on the approved companies list but my question is, are the ceiling cassette costs covered in the grant?

At this rate it’ll probably be November at the earliest before it gets installed if I go the rebate route otherwise I can pay a contractor now and get it installed within couple weeks and be out the grant?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4099 posts
1114 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
Federal home retrofit program swamped by NWT demand August 13, 2021

https://www.nnsl.com/news/federal-home- ... wt-demand/

the Arctic Energy Alliance (AEA) — is dealing with overwhelming demand for audits. As of Aug. 5, the AEA was facing a backlog of 95 homes awaiting an energy evaluation within city limits and 53 homes outside municipal boundaries.

“We have seen a substantial increase in demand for home energy evaluations since the announcement of the Canada Greener Homes Grant program, which has compounded the increase in wait times for these evaluations,” explained Mark Heyck, executive director with the AEA in an Aug. 5 email. “We currently estimate the wait time to be six months to a year for an evaluation.”

“For a single home, that could involve up to 20 hours of staff time from an AEA residential energy adviser, who visits the home and assesses all aspects of a home’s energy efficiency then assembles a comprehensive report and recommendations,” Heyck said.
Nov 30, 2018
17 posts
5 upvotes
Edmonton
I applied on August 1st with a preexisting Energy assessment suggesting heat pump to replace/support electric baseboards. No reply yet, of course.

Has someone being able to start the project with a preexisting Energy assessment? It looks like the system doesn't discriminate on its own as it still says "if you are deemed eligible, an energy advisor who works for a service organization will contact you to schedule a pre-retrofit''
Jan 27, 2019
15 posts
2 upvotes
I apologize if this has already been covered but does the government cover the entire cost of the pre and post energy audit or up to a certain amount, for example $600 dollars. What type of fees are people finding energy auditors are charging in the GTA. I've seen people being quoted pre $550 and post $375. Therefore if the gov't only covered $600, the money you spend would take away from the eventual rebate you get. Thank you
Aug 11, 2011
541 posts
621 upvotes
Toronto
Gill905 wrote: I apologize if this has already been covered but does the government cover the entire cost of the pre and post energy audit or up to a certain amount, for example $600 dollars. What type of fees are people finding energy auditors are charging in the GTA. I've seen people being quoted pre $550 and post $375. Therefore if the gov't only covered $600, the money you spend would take away from the eventual rebate you get. Thank you
It's 600 plus 5k so total 5600.
Sep 8, 2021
3 posts
Applied June 3rd- no approval yet
Anyone else apply around that time? Wondering if anyone has been approved yet
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7113 posts
166 upvotes
Nepean
Registered in early May
Approved in late June
Pre-retrofit Assessment completed in late July, showed up as completed on nrcan in late Aug

I got the reports from the company but still waiting for nrcan to update my application to see what I am officially approved for

this process has been painful to say the least ...

Hope this timeline helps people ...
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
21436 posts
2920 upvotes
Out west
TenzoR wrote: Registered in early May
Approved in late June
Pre-retrofit Assessment completed in late July, showed up as completed on nrcan in late Aug

I got the reports from the company but still waiting for nrcan to update my application to see what I am officially approved for

this process has been painful to say the least ...

Hope this timeline helps people ...
Registered the day it came out, have applied to be assesed twice, nothing. Guess the project I wanted to do will have to wait until spring

What would be nice is at least acknowledgment they received your info etc. But nothng
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7113 posts
166 upvotes
Nepean
WikkiWikki wrote: Registered the day it came out, have applied to be assesed twice, nothing. Guess the project I wanted to do will have to wait until spring

What would be nice is at least acknowledgment they received your info etc. But nothng
You get an email when your application is created. You get an another email indicating it's approved. Maybe check your spam?

The first email title regarding your application creation should be: New message for <Application ID> from the Greener homes program \\ Nouveau message pour <Application ID> du Programme maisons plus écoénergétiques

The approval email title is: Welcome to the Canada Greener Homes Grant!

Hope this helps ... TBH it's moving at a snails pace .. maybe the next non-liberal government will just kill it off
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
21436 posts
2920 upvotes
Out west
TenzoR wrote: You get an email when your application is created. You get an another email indicating it's approved. Maybe check your spam?

The first email title regarding your application creation should be: New message for <Application ID> from the Greener homes program \\ Nouveau message pour <Application ID> du Programme maisons plus écoénergétiques

The approval email title is: Welcome to the Canada Greener Homes Grant!

Hope this helps ... TBH it's moving at a snails pace .. maybe the next non-liberal government will just kill it off
All the online stuff has been done, but I havent heard a word from any assesment place. And while I imagine they are busy, an email saying we received your info would be nice. Do I just apply at all the local ones and see who responds first.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7113 posts
166 upvotes
Nepean
WikkiWikki wrote: All the online stuff has been done, but I havent heard a word from any assesment place. And while I imagine they are busy, an email saying we received your info would be nice. Do I just apply at all the local ones and see who responds first.
If you got the approval email you can contact the service provider yourself. You can use a different one and they will be able update your application to themselves after the assessment is done. When I first signed up there were no service provider close to me so I chose a random one. In the end, the company I went with was able to update my application. I am just waiting for the final reports to show up.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11995 posts
1769 upvotes
I applied at the end of May, 2 weeks later they asked me to resubmit as I didn't include proof of ownership. End of June I was approved.

It took me a while to get the energy auditor scheduled (my laziness), but it's all done now.

My main goal is attic insulation. Inspector says I have r20. To increase to r50 gov provides $600.

Now looking into DIY vs getting someone to do it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4099 posts
1114 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
slowtyper wrote: I applied at the end of May, 2 weeks later they asked me to resubmit as I didn't include proof of ownership. End of June I was approved.

It took me a while to get the energy auditor scheduled (my laziness), but it's all done now.

My main goal is attic insulation. Inspector says I have r20. To increase to r50 gov provides $600.

Now looking into DIY vs getting someone to do it.
For anyone wondering that's "up to" the applicable grant dollar figure. If you spend less on supplies (and labour if applicable) then you will only be reimbursed for the actual amount spent.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12441 posts
7032 upvotes
Brampton
You guys reminded me to check the site. Lo and behold when I checked It said eligibility confirmed. But I never got a call or email.

I just scheduled my Energy Audit for the coming tuesday.
Oct 16, 2013
107 posts
25 upvotes
FREDERICTON
I applied on August 26th and haven't got the approval email. However my application status shows "Eligibility confirmed" - Is my application approved or not ?
Oct 16, 2013
107 posts
25 upvotes
FREDERICTON
tebore wrote: You guys reminded me to check the site. Lo and behold when I checked It said eligibility confirmed. But I never got a call or email.

I just scheduled my Energy Audit for the coming tuesday.
Not so fast. I called the 1-800 and the rep said "eligibility confirmed" =/= "approved". I did the same as you did and the auditor supposed to come tomorrow. Guess I have to cancel.
Oct 7, 2003
413 posts
208 upvotes
Gees I’m still stuck in registration completed
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12441 posts
7032 upvotes
Brampton
FreddieNB wrote: Not so fast. I called the 1-800 and the rep said "eligibility confirmed" =/= "approved". I did the same as you did and the auditor supposed to come tomorrow. Guess I have to cancel.
So I called them as well to confirm my confirmation.

And Confirmed doesn't mean confirmed.

I also had to cancel my auditor. My Auditor doesn't have access to the back end apparently so...

Back to limbo.

I noticed all my uploaded documents disappeared too.