Home & Garden

UPDATE $5,000 Canada Greener Homes Retrofits grant program now announced!

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2021 10:10 pm
Jan 19, 2013
57 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
enwhyRFD wrote: If it's retroactive to Dec 2020, but before renovations start the audit has to happen, how does that even work?
There's two audits, the initial one before the upgrades, and then the audit after the upgrades.

So I had some guy come and take pics, look in my basement and attic and do an air-seal test and provide a report. And then he'll come back and do it all again to confirm I did my upgrades.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4093 posts
1109 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
I got through to the point where I could pick a company for the energy audit. Never heard of any of them and with the website down can't bring up details of the program itself. Disappointed Face

It seems like the whole nrcan.gc.ca website is down.

Edit: And so it is all down!

Government of Canada / Gouvernement du Canada

Error - Erreur
www.nrcan.gc.ca is experiencing very high traffic today. We apologize for the outage and hope to be back online soon.

www.rncan.gc.ca expérience un flux de trafic très important aujourd'hui. Nous nous excusons pour la panne occasionnée et nous espérons être de retour en ligne bientôt.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3718 posts
5291 upvotes
Canada
Thanks all, I successfully registered.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
21405 posts
2913 upvotes
Out west
moneybagsdupe wrote: There's two audits, the initial one before the upgrades, and then the audit after the upgrades.

So I had some guy come and take pics, look in my basement and attic and do an air-seal test and provide a report. And then he'll come back and do it all again to confirm I did my upgrades.
What he meant was, how can you have an original audit if its retroactive to Dec 2020. I just an HE furnace installed end of April. so thats in the time line, but I didnt get an energy audit
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10680 posts
5983 upvotes
Paris
fergy wrote: I got through to the point where I could pick a company for the energy audit. Never heard of any of them and with the website down can't bring up details of the program itself. Disappointed Face

It seems like the whole nrcan.gc.ca website is down.

Edit: And so it is all down!

Government of Canada / Gouvernement du Canada

Error - Erreur
www.nrcan.gc.ca is experiencing very high traffic today. We apologize for the outage and hope to be back online soon.

www.rncan.gc.ca expérience un flux de trafic très important aujourd'hui. Nous nous excusons pour la panne occasionnée et nous espérons être de retour en ligne bientôt.
I know the guys who run Energuy and they do referrals I think.
May 9, 2006
892 posts
190 upvotes
Mississauga
seagle wrote: Does anyone have any suggestions on which organization to choose for the Energy Audit?
Canada Energy Audit Ltd.
ecoGEO Energy Inc.
Ecofitt Corporation
AmeriSpec of Canada
EnerTest Corporation
All Season Inspection Inc
Barrier Sciences Group
EnerSolution Inc
The Home Inspectors Group Inc.
Energuy Holdings Ltd
EnerQuality Corporation
BEST Energy and Sustainability Inc
Eco Advantage Energy Advisors Inc
NRGwise Consulting
Pro Home Building Inspections Inc
Green Communities Canada
CoEfficient Building Science
I didn't want to lose connection so I randomly picked one, I hope whatever I chose is good. lol
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4093 posts
1109 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
The website is working now here are the items covered and the $ grant per item done.

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/eligible-grants ... ofit/23504

What I've read so far, I'm quite disappointed. In my case there's little if any incentive to proactively do anything whatsoever.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4093 posts
1109 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
WikkiWikki wrote: What he meant was, how can you have an original audit if its retroactive to Dec 2020. I just an HE furnace installed end of April. so thats in the time line, but I didnt get an energy audit
The only "HVAC" equipment I see listed are heat pumps. Heat pumps for heating your home and heat pumps for hot water. Nothing else is covered, no high efficiency furnaces, no high efficiency water heaters, no tankless water heaters. Very disappointing.
Last edited by fergy on May 27th, 2021 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3554 posts
2589 upvotes
Toronto
Hmmmm - maybe it's time to replace my 16 year old mid-efficiency furnace. But then again it's been rock solid reliable, hasn't needed any maintenance or service since it was installed and consumes less power during an outage if I switch to backup power.

And I'd have to replace my mid efficiency water heater too I expect as they share a chimney and it would be the wrong size for a single appliance. And I have hot water during a power outage.

So... maybe not :P Already replaced all the windows and doors and roof and there's no insulating my 1910 house.

Maybe I can get the $1000/kW to increase the capacity of my off-grid solar system at the cottage. That would cover most of the cost of another 1000w worth of solar panels on the roof.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2009
1109 posts
213 upvotes
Anyone aware if window caulking qualifies for air sealing? Thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2009
1109 posts
213 upvotes
The other item that works for me is solar panels, 1k rebate for each 1kw, anyone aware of the cost install cost for 5kw solar panels ? Thanks
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4093 posts
1109 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
torontotim wrote: Hmmmm - maybe it's time to replace my 16 year old mid-efficiency furnace. But then again it's been rock solid reliable, hasn't needed any maintenance or service since it was installed and consumes less power during an outage if I switch to backup power.

And I'd have to replace my mid efficiency water heater too I expect as they share a chimney and it would be the wrong size for a single appliance. And I have hot water during a power outage.

So... maybe not :P Already replaced all the windows and doors and roof and there's no insulating my 1910 house.

Maybe I can get the $1000/kW to increase the capacity of my off-grid solar system at the cottage. That would cover most of the cost of another 1000w worth of solar panels on the roof.
The program only covers your primary residence.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
21405 posts
2913 upvotes
Out west
fergy wrote: The only "HVAC" equipment I see listed are heat pumps. Heat pumps for heating you're home and heat pumps for hot water. Nothing else is covered, no high efficiency furnaces, no high efficiency water heaters, no tankless water heaters. Very disappointing.
Ita been down all day so didn't check. Hope they have something for roof insulation. No got in on the when Harper was in power and made money on it since I did it all myself
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
21405 posts
2913 upvotes
Out west
sonajatt wrote: Anyone aware if window caulking qualifies for air sealing? Thanks
It used to. Basically you get the blower door test done. Do all your stuff to seal it and then get it redone. Just keep réceipts for it all. Weather stripping caulking and the like
Jan 19, 2013
57 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
WikkiWikki wrote: What he meant was, how can you have an original audit if its retroactive to Dec 2020. I just an HE furnace installed end of April. so thats in the time line, but I didnt get an energy audit
Oh hah, yeah that's why I was wondering if we could double dip with Enbridge. I wouldn't have done an audit if I wasn't getting the Enbridge grant. So seems weird they would retroactively apply it and not allow stacking.
Jan 19, 2013
57 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
sonajatt wrote: Anyone aware if window caulking qualifies for air sealing? Thanks
During the audit they'll measure how leaky your house is, and then you have to meet a certain goal of reducing how leaky it is.

It's neat, the house will be under negative pressure so you can feel where all the drafts are coming from.
Jan 12, 2007
388 posts
214 upvotes
I've been putting off a top-up of blow in insulation for the attic.

Will this actually save me money or will I end up paying one of these authorized contractors more because they know I am applying for government grant money?
In addition we have to pay the upfront audit costs. How much does an average audit cost?
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3718 posts
5291 upvotes
Canada
What are y'alls application numbers? I got 575. It's rising fast my buddy got 942 a couple hours ago
Feb 28, 2021
79 posts
51 upvotes
Blubbs wrote: What are y'alls application numbers? I got 575. It's rising fast my buddy got 942 a couple hours ago
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
6633 posts
3449 upvotes
Global Village
seagle wrote: Does anyone have any suggestions on which organization to choose for the Energy Audit?
Canada Energy Audit Ltd.
ecoGEO Energy Inc.
Ecofitt Corporation
AmeriSpec of Canada
EnerTest Corporation
All Season Inspection Inc
Barrier Sciences Group
EnerSolution Inc
The Home Inspectors Group Inc.
Energuy Holdings Ltd
EnerQuality Corporation
BEST Energy and Sustainability Inc
Eco Advantage Energy Advisors Inc
NRGwise Consulting
Pro Home Building Inspections Inc
Green Communities Canada
CoEfficient Building Science
Does anyone have any feedback on any of these?

I don't understand how they expect folks to be familiar with any of these, not a user-friendly way of going about this choice.
All day I dream about sports

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)