Home & Garden

UPDATE $5,000 Canada Greener Homes Retrofits grant program now announced!

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2023 3:22 pm
Jan 23, 2008
130 posts
33 upvotes
BC
I applied 4 months ago for the program and still no change in status from "Registration Completed". I even called the assistance line and they have no clue, just said to keep waiting.
At this rate won't get anything done....
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
Im giving up, the stuff I want to do will have to wait until the spring again. Maybe then they might have their shit in gear.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2017
1020 posts
790 upvotes
Can someone tell me how much are they charging for the audit ? The insulation guy to insulate my attic said to use his guy to ensure I get the grant and he will fill it out properly.. but he's charging $840 after tax

Also when I applied for the application I went with energy werx corp in London, can I use someone else ? He said I can as long as I have the AP number.. is this true ?
Has ANYONE got the money back from the government? Or is it still a mess ?
If someone can tell me their experience and if what I am doing is right

I applied for the application and now it says registeration complete ( what does that mean? I can go ahead and book an audit ?)
  1. Then I will call the insulation guy for him to setup an appointment for the audit guy to come ..
  2. he will audit
  3. Then insulation guy will do his work.. I pay him
  4. Then I pay the audit guy to submit my papers to the program
  5. And I wait for my check
Dec 16, 2006
81 posts
8 upvotes
Same situation here, applied more than 4 months now. No change in status and called the assistance line which they don’t provide any assistance. My friend applied around the same time and got approved, I am like wtf??
Nov 30, 2007
384 posts
293 upvotes
I just moved into a home and my family HVAC guy recommended an auditor that completed the application for me. The audit was $678. I ended up needing new insulation blown in my attic and my furnace replaced (it's 35+ years old) and my auditor estimated $1,850 back. All in all I will pay around $2,300 for a new furnace and insulation provided I actually get the rebate back... not bad.
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
Not sure if this helps anyone, Home Depot has 10% off AtticCat bags of insulation right now, and if you get 10 bags you get the blower rental for free.
Feb 9, 2009
568 posts
86 upvotes
N/A
I'm moving to a new home soon and wanted to apply to this before I move in. However, in the application, it asks for property bill number which I don't have yet. I'm assuming this grant is for people who have lived in a home for a year or more?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7174 posts
217 upvotes
Nepean
pkpower wrote: I'm moving to a new home soon and wanted to apply to this before I move in. However, in the application, it asks for property bill number which I don't have yet. I'm assuming this grant is for people who have lived in a home for a year or more?
Who is eligible?
Eligible homeowners in Canada regardless of where they live, can participate in the initiative. Only one homeowner per home can register. You will be required to:

provide proof of ownership with your property tax bill number (this number can be found on your municipal property documents)
demonstrate the property is your primary residence through either a drivers licence or government issued ID (with address)
You should be able to call your city to find out?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 27, 2006
5969 posts
2754 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
pkpower wrote: I'm moving to a new home soon and wanted to apply to this before I move in. However, in the application, it asks for property bill number which I don't have yet. I'm assuming this grant is for people who have lived in a home for a year or more?
If you mean a newly constructed home, it must be occupied for at least 6 months.
Feb 9, 2009
568 posts
86 upvotes
N/A
It's not newly constructed. Completion is in a couple of months and I want to start on the application early.
Oct 12, 2005
483 posts
294 upvotes
Toronto
applied in July, got an email in September about picking another auditor ( it gave 2 reasons - confirm auditor and/or pick another because it doesn't service the area), did that still waiting for a call/email to get the audit scheduled. Anyone have recommendations of a good auditor in GTHA ? feel like the majority of these companies that work with government are just checklist entities that don't really do anything useful other than push paper. This whole program/process by NRCAN appears to a be complete failure and a waste of time.
2788 upvotes
Does $125-250 seem pretty small an amount per window? When we got some of our windows done they cost much more than this. Is the program only meant to reimburse part of the cost of retrofits?
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
fergy wrote: The Brits had a similar Green Home program to this that imploded into chaos and ultimately canceled with very little of the actual funds doled out and work/goals accomplished.
https://grist.org/buildings/how-britain ... ery-wrong/
yeah government program is just a mess, if they are so keen on promoting greener home retrofit, why not just make building material tax exempt and renovation work on residential houses tax exempt? easier to administer and give public more confidence in it working as intended.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
Dunderhead wrote: Does $125-250 seem pretty small an amount per window? When we got some of our windows done they cost much more than this. Is the program only meant to reimburse part of the cost of retrofits?
that is low perhaps the program is there to assist but not fully pay it off.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
3150 posts
7726 upvotes
Ontario
I'm in Ontario (Simcoe Region). I recently bought a 20 year old home. Window IGUs are failing, so I plan to be replacing all the windows soon. I've also talked to my neighbours, and many of them have been upgrading their attic insulation as well.

I guess I will have to contact an energy auditor, and see if anything else makes sense? Maybe front and back doors...
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1707 posts
592 upvotes
GTA
I originally started my application and indicated a different energy Audit service organization than the one I used. I contacted the rebate program and they told me to email them the new energy audit company I was using and they would update my application. That was nearly 2 weeks ago. My energy auditor has submitted the reports to the application number I gave him but nothing is showing up. Any ideas or suggestions?
Aug 11, 2011
837 posts
1425 upvotes
Toronto
pkpower wrote: It's not newly constructed. Completion is in a couple of months and I want to start on the application early.
Yes you can I did this. Ask your realtor where you can find the property roll number - I forget what the document was called. You'll also need drivers lisense with new address on it but you can upload that after you start the applocatiin.
Feb 9, 2009
568 posts
86 upvotes
N/A
MikeTO2 wrote: Yes you can I did this. Ask your realtor where you can find the property roll number - I forget what the document was called. You'll also need drivers lisense with new address on it but you can upload that after you start the applocatiin.
Thank you!
Feb 5, 2019
43 posts
49 upvotes
Applied June 9th and finally got the acceptance email today.