Home & Garden

UPDATE $5,000 Canada Greener Homes Retrofits grant program now announced!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2021 4:29 pm
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
13362 posts
24902 upvotes
Watch prices of estimates go up literally through the roof .
Aug 4, 2019
332 posts
106 upvotes
ONTARIO
moneybagsdupe wrote: There's two audits, the initial one before the upgrades, and then the audit after the upgrades.

So I had some guy come and take pics, look in my basement and attic and do an air-seal test and provide a report. And then he'll come back and do it all again to confirm I did my upgrades.
How much did he charge for the first visit?
Did he give you a list of what items need to be updated?
Aug 4, 2019
332 posts
106 upvotes
ONTARIO
fergy wrote: I got through to the point where I could pick a company for the energy audit. Never heard of any of them and with the website down can't bring up details of the program itself. Disappointed Face

It seems like the whole nrcan.gc.ca website is down.

Edit: And so it is all down!

Government of Canada / Gouvernement du Canada

Error - Erreur
www.nrcan.gc.ca is experiencing very high traffic today. We apologize for the outage and hope to be back online soon.

www.rncan.gc.ca expérience un flux de trafic très important aujourd'hui. Nous nous excusons pour la panne occasionnée et nous espérons être de retour en ligne bientôt.
Trudeau reminds me of Obama. Both had websites crash when they announced new programs. Like Obamacare.
Last edited by Wildwestbob on May 27th, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 4, 2019
332 posts
106 upvotes
ONTARIO
fergy wrote: The only "HVAC" equipment I see listed are heat pumps. Heat pumps for heating your home and heat pumps for hot water. Nothing else is covered, no high efficiency furnaces, no high efficiency water heaters, no tankless water heaters. Very disappointing.
Yeah a real #^#^ program.
No high efficiency furnace upgrades. Just modest amount for some doors and windows.
Seems like a program to brag about during the election but most Canadians won't really take advantage of the program.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
22051 posts
3092 upvotes
Out west
Ill do it for the attic insulation, if its the same as last time, I can make money if I do the work myself.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2006
1225 posts
66 upvotes
thebluegoat wrote: 3267
Where on the page did you apply?

Also, any mention if you can tap into this program and the Enbridge one?
Oct 31, 2007
3511 posts
576 upvotes
I had planned for 4 x windows and front door replacement in late summer/early fall so this is timed nicely if it all works out. Hoping the first assessment doesn’t take too long to schedule the visit, guessing they will be getting hammered.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
22051 posts
3092 upvotes
Out west
thebluegoat wrote: 3267
Where do you see your application number. I filled it all out and said it was completed. But I have no info on application number
Jan 19, 2013
68 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
Wildwestbob wrote: How much did he charge for the first visit?
Did he give you a list of what items need to be updated?
First visit was $450, second visit $225. And I anticipate getting $550 back from Enbridge (~$125 out of pocket).

We got a 1 page summary of what we needed to do (consolidated Enbridge info). It's up to the homeowner what they want to do. Nothing in the report was prescriptive - but if we did elect to do something, it had to meet their measures of efficiency (i.e. he didn't tell us we HAD to do attic insulation, just that if we did it would have to get to R60).
Aug 4, 2019
332 posts
106 upvotes
ONTARIO
moneybagsdupe wrote: First visit was $450, second visit $225. And I anticipate getting $550 back from Enbridge (~$125 out of pocket).

We got a 1 page summary of what we needed to do (consolidated Enbridge info). It's up to the homeowner what they want to do. Nothing in the report was prescriptive - but if we did elect to do something, it had to meet their measures of efficiency (i.e. he didn't tell us we HAD to do attic insulation, just that if we did it would have to get to R60).
Ok thanks.
So basically anything you wanted to do was ok. The new plan shows things like door, windows and insulation. So you could just pick what you wanted?
Were there anything not available?
Feb 28, 2021
84 posts
57 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote: Where do you see your application number. I filled it all out and said it was completed. But I have no info on application number
I think I signed out and signed back in and it was on the home page. I accidentally closed it so never got to the point of uploading proof of residence but it said application was completed
Jan 19, 2013
68 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
Wildwestbob wrote: Ok thanks.
So basically anything you wanted to do was ok. The new plan shows things like door, windows and insulation. So you could just pick what you wanted?
Were there anything not available?
It was a one-pager similar to this (not sure how to attach my actual doc): https://advancedhvac.ca/wp-content/uplo ... 1-2020.pdf

We were replacing a boiler with a combi, and then decided to do the attic and also air sealing.

Going to try to get Federal grants where we can too, probably replace our doors with energy-star ones.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1961 posts
1770 upvotes
We all are damn fools into spending more our hard-earned $$ to qualify for "green" grant(s) and interest-free loans.
Heck! these 'freebies' are also our taxed $$ being hand-out left and right by JT's federal government.

Surely the qualified/approved so-called green contractors will take us to the cleaners once the scheme goes into effect.
Expect Jacked-up quotes (prices), lousy workmanship with "who cares" warranty on green products/services.
In the end, we all will be paying more taxes or rather our future generations will pick up the tabs with their blood and sweat.
My life ambition is ....
Live long enough to be as big nuisance to my posterity as they have been to me.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
3473 posts
1325 upvotes
Toronto
Enrolled but very disappointed with what's on offer. No furnace upgrades, not sure how much saved on a window or door. I already did the attic upgrade and ecobee under GreenOn.

Are we obliged to do any upgrades to get the refund for the audit?
Aug 4, 2019
332 posts
106 upvotes
ONTARIO
moneybagsdupe wrote: It was a one-pager similar to this (not sure how to attach my actual doc): https://advancedhvac.ca/wp-content/uplo ... 1-2020.pdf

We were replacing a boiler with a combi, and then decided to do the attic and also air sealing.

Going to try to get Federal grants where we can too, probably replace our doors with energy-star ones.
Thanks for the info.
So $250 for a one pager.
How long did the guy spend at home? Did you have to pay him right there?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2002
3412 posts
821 upvotes
GSD wrote: Enrolled but very disappointed with what's on offer. No furnace upgrades, not sure how much saved on a window or door. I already did the attic upgrade and ecobee under GreenOn.

Are we obliged to do any upgrades to get the refund for the audit?
You will not be reimbursed for the pre-retrofit evaluation unless you continue through the full Greener Homes Grant process.
I feel like contractors will just jack their prices up for this. Was that the case for the Enbridge rebates? I recall once calling a place about an audit under the Enbridge program and the rebate didn't cover the full price of the audit.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4216 posts
1182 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
WikkiWikki wrote: Ill do it for the attic insulation, if its the same as last time, I can make money if I do the work myself.
Generally speaking homes built after 1980 will have more than R25 in the attic and that means for this program they will only qualify for $250 if the entire attic is upgraded to at least R50.

Generally speaking if the home is built after 2006 it will not qualify. Too much existing insulation as the home must have an existing maximum of R35.

Homes built between 2001 and 2006 will be dicey and may or may not qualify. It depends on how much insulation was blown in by the individuals the day it was originally done. Typical code then was R32 (or possibly R35).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4216 posts
1182 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
goob3r wrote: I feel like contractors will just jack their prices up for this. Was that the case for the Enbridge rebates? I recall once calling a place about an audit under the Enbridge program and the rebate didn't cover the full price of the audit.
That's a concern I have too. The commodity prices could go up too. So then is there any real benefit to the program?