Update- Thailand approves tourism with 90day min stay and 14 day quarantine

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2020 9:08 am
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10132 posts
10242 upvotes

Update- Thailand approves tourism with 90day min stay and 14 day quarantine

So Thailand is saying they're looking to open up in October but with 14 day quarantine and minimum of 30 day visits

https://www.traveloffpath.com/thailand- ... y-30-days/

Yuthasak Supasorn, governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT)
Yuthasak Supasorn told Reuters that foreign tourists will be committed to stay in Thailand for at least 30 days, which they must fly directly into Phuket. Shorter trips will not be permitted.

The first 14 days of their minimum 30 day vacation will be in quarantine at their hotel, which will include their private hotel room, common areas of the hotel’s property, and in some cases beach access.
Sept 15 update

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... rist-visas
The cabinet on Tuesday agreed to allow in foreign tourists who agree to 14-day quarantine and stay for at least 90 days, to help the flagging economy.
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said after the cabinet meeting that the government would issue special tourist visas for long-stay visitors. The most important condition would be a 14-day quarantine.
Last edited by StatsGuy on Sep 16th, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
30 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
StatsGuy wrote: So Thailand is saying they're looking to open up in October but with 14 day quarantine and minimum of 30 day visits
If you are quoting someone and trying to get some information on travel and bans, at least you should quote the government or official website and not a personal blogging site... This way you will get the real info and not a seo content...
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1425 posts
640 upvotes
so that's 14 days quarantine in Thailand, and you have to stay another 16 days, then when you get back to Canada you have to quarantine AGAIN for another 2 weeks.

so 4 out of the 6 weeks you have is going to be quarantine time? sounds like an absolute blast of a vacation, notwithstanding the fact that most people can't get 6 weeks off at once or even have 6 weeks of vacation time to take every year.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10132 posts
10242 upvotes
dazz wrote: If you are quoting someone and trying to get some information on travel and bans, at least you should quote the government or official website and not a personal blogging site... This way you will get the real info and not a seo content...
Quote is from governor of tourism and they will start with Phuket first and see how it goes (minimum 30 day stay and 14 day quarantine
Yuthasak Supasorn, governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT)

Also from Minister of tourism
Thailand’s Minister of Tourism Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn has set the date of October 1 for a new pilot program which will start with the island of Phuket. If successful – if tourists actually come and there isn’t a new spike in Covid-19 cases – the project will be expanded to include other destinations.
Last edited by StatsGuy on Aug 26th, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3663 posts
1174 upvotes
Mars
thai needs tourists dollars that bad? but who's gonna be that crazy about thailand, i mean why anyone wants to spend tons of money on quarantine. a smarter policy would be free quarantine and testing with 3 months stay requirement, if positive, however, med expense will be on you. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Jul 21, 2006
617 posts
212 upvotes
They need a batter official website where this is discussed. The official tourism site doesn't discuss the 30 days. Makes it very difficult to plan anything. I have been booked months ago for December, but have no idea if it should all just be cancelled as it just isn't clear enough. I won't extend to 30 days. Even if people could afford a 30 day hotel stay, for most people its the 30 days away from work that would be the issue.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10132 posts
10242 upvotes
dpolites wrote: They need a batter official website where this is discussed. The official tourism site doesn't discuss the 30 days. Makes it very difficult to plan anything. I have been booked months ago for December, but have no idea if it should all just be cancelled as it just isn't clear enough. I won't extend to 30 days. Even if people could afford a 30 day hotel stay, for most people its the 30 days away from work that would be the issue.
Doesn't really help you as anything they say now can change at anytime as we've seen with the Bahamas Bali, Thailand, Europe and other places backtracking on earlier "reopening" plans

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/thai ... index.html
During a public forum held late last week, Thailand's Minister of Tourism Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn said the country is aiming to allow foreign tourists to enter the country through a program dubbed "Safe and Sealed

In the beginning, tourists will be permitted to fly into Phuket -- Thailand's largest island -- and will need to quarantine in a designated resort for 14 days.
Phiphat cited popular Patong Beach as an example of an area where this could work. Special one-kilometer zones consisting of three-to-four resorts could be set up there, allowing quarantined tourists to spend time on the beach -- so long as they stay in their designated area.
Travelers will need to get tested for Covid-19 at the beginning and end of their quarantine period. Then, they will be free to travel on the island.
But the minister says tourists who wish to travel beyond Phuket will have to stay in quarantine for an additional seven days and will have a third Covid-19 test at the end of that 21-day quarantine period.
Hotel staff who work in these designated zones will not be permitted to leave without first going into quarantine and will be tested regularly for Covid-19 as well to prevent the spread of the virus.

Apr 12, 2009
466 posts
115 upvotes
Do they have all inclusive hotels there and are they expensive?

With tons of people working from home if you get a good deal to stay for a month, even while working, this could be very attractive for people from colder countries.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
2211 posts
4308 upvotes
Berczy Park
Baigle wrote: Do they have all inclusive hotels there and are they expensive?

With tons of people working from home if you get a good deal to stay for a month, even while working, this could be very attractive for people from colder countries.
I've seen the prices for the ASQ (Alternative State Quarantine). For example, at Le Meridien Bangkok they are currently charging 90K baht (3800 CAD) for 15 days. 5000 CAD Baht for a suite but only 1 person, an extra 1500 CAD for your SO. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are taken care of. 24-hour room service with a 20% discount, gym time, etc. I know Conrad and Movenpick are also available. When/if they open the "Phuket Model" to whatever region(s) they allow it for, they won't all be higher-end hotels as they have thousands applying to be one of these ASQ hotels so maybe some will be an all-inclusive type deal.
Aug 21, 2019
830 posts
609 upvotes
BC
Doesn't sound like much of a reopen if we need to quarantine. Might be okay for long term travelers but this isn't for most of us.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2017
5182 posts
3058 upvotes
Most Canadians only have 2 weeks of vacation time, we ain't Europe lol
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5186 posts
1829 upvotes
Mississauga
MyNameWasTaken wrote: Most Canadians only have 2 weeks of vacation time, we ain't Europe lol
You have two weeks vacation? You need a new job.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
We met several Europeans in Thailand last time, saying they like to take a few months of vacation in Thailand during their winter time. It is relatively cheap for them.

If your work allow you to work remotely and you don't mind the quarantine, Thailand is relatively inexpensive.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
2211 posts
4308 upvotes
Berczy Park
Arrgh wrote: We met several Europeans in Thailand last time, saying they like to take a few months of vacation in Thailand during their winter time. It is relatively cheap for them.

If your work allow you to work remotely and you don't mind the quarantine, Thailand is relatively inexpensive.
Thailand is relatively cheap but the ASQ may not be as cheap per-day as a cheap 4* hotel and local restaurant food would be. After one's ASQ is complete and you can go wherever in the country then of course pricing will be "normal" Thai prices. Of course, our dollar sucks so we don't have it nearly as good as Europeans/Americans when it comes to SEA travel.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10132 posts
10242 upvotes
donttoewsmebro wrote: Thailand is relatively cheap but the ASQ may not be as cheap per-day as a cheap 4* hotel and local restaurant food would be. After one's ASQ is complete and you can go wherever in the country then of course pricing will be "normal" Thai prices. Of course, our dollar sucks so we don't have it nearly as good as Europeans/Americans when it comes to SEA travel.
Our dollar has done pretty well against USD and especially other SE currencies actually
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
2211 posts
4308 upvotes
Berczy Park
StatsGuy wrote: Our dollar has done pretty well against USD and especially other SE currencies actually
I know, I meant in general when people say it's so cheap, it's not AS cheap for us Canadians is what I was getting at.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10215 posts
5529 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
The THB has been appreciating against the USD as well as CAD over the past few years and more money in the economy there means higher inflation. I've noticed the price of many things in Thailand (well Bangkok in particular) rise over the past 19-20 years more so in the past 10 or so (recovery from '97). Restaurant prices (catering to middle-class Bangkok residents) isn't too far from Canadian prices these days. A simple lunch at a supermarket food court in Bangkok and surrounds runs THB 100 these day. Was last in Bangkok May last year.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
2211 posts
4308 upvotes
Berczy Park
thriftshopper wrote: The THB has been appreciating against the USD as well as CAD over the past few years and more money in the economy there means higher inflation. I've noticed the price of many things in Thailand (well Bangkok in particular) rise over the past 19-20 years more so in the past 10 or so (recovery from '97). Restaurant prices (catering to middle-class Bangkok residents) isn't too far from Canadian prices these days. A simple lunch at a supermarket food court in Bangkok and surrounds runs THB 100 these day. Was last in Bangkok May last year.
Agreed, Bangkok is getting up there, I spent Q4 in Thailand (mainly) and found even the 40 baht street food was moving up to 50 baht in some places (not a big difference to us but still a 25% increase). The locals are worried its all going to have to come crashing down when the government finally screws up its inflation practices. Even the atm fees have gotten higher in the last year. The NE is still cheap compared to the central and south of course.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10132 posts
10242 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: The THB has been appreciating against the USD as well as CAD over the past few years and more money in the economy there means higher inflation. I've noticed the price of many things in Thailand (well Bangkok in particular) rise over the past 19-20 years more so in the past 10 or so (recovery from '97). Restaurant prices (catering to middle-class Bangkok residents) isn't too far from Canadian prices these days. A simple lunch at a supermarket food court in Bangkok and surrounds runs THB 100 these day. Was last in Bangkok May last year.
Well as their wages and spending power rise, prices will go up. They're not as impoverished as before especially in Bangkok . Lots of rich Thais who have spending power and prices go up to reflect it

I mean it's good for the Thai people, just not as good for westerners looking for a poor country to visit for more value. But many other countries still for value, I much prefer Malaysia over Thailand anyways

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)