Update- Thailand approves tourism with 90day min stay and 14 day quarantine

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2020 9:08 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3561 posts
2823 upvotes
donttoewsmebro wrote: Thailand is relatively cheap but the ASQ may not be as cheap per-day as a cheap 4* hotel and local restaurant food would be. After one's ASQ is complete and you can go wherever in the country then of course pricing will be "normal" Thai prices. Of course, our dollar sucks so we don't have it nearly as good as Europeans/Americans when it comes to SEA travel.
Our dollar has done pretty well against USD and especially other SE currencies actually
Oct 31, 2012
387 posts
574 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote: Our dollar has done pretty well against USD and especially other SE currencies actually
I know, I meant in general when people say it's so cheap, it's not AS cheap for us Canadians is what I was getting at.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4528 posts
1980 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
The THB has been appreciating against the USD as well as CAD over the past few years and more money in the economy there means higher inflation. I've noticed the price of many things in Thailand (well Bangkok in particular) rise over the past 19-20 years more so in the past 10 or so (recovery from '97). Restaurant prices (catering to middle-class Bangkok residents) isn't too far from Canadian prices these days. A simple lunch at a supermarket food court in Bangkok and surrounds runs THB 100 these day. Was last in Bangkok May last year.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Oct 31, 2012
387 posts
574 upvotes
Toronto
thriftshopper wrote: The THB has been appreciating against the USD as well as CAD over the past few years and more money in the economy there means higher inflation. I've noticed the price of many things in Thailand (well Bangkok in particular) rise over the past 19-20 years more so in the past 10 or so (recovery from '97). Restaurant prices (catering to middle-class Bangkok residents) isn't too far from Canadian prices these days. A simple lunch at a supermarket food court in Bangkok and surrounds runs THB 100 these day. Was last in Bangkok May last year.
Agreed, Bangkok is getting up there, I spent Q4 in Thailand (mainly) and found even the 40 baht street food was moving up to 50 baht in some places (not a big difference to us but still a 25% increase). The locals are worried its all going to have to come crashing down when the government finally screws up its inflation practices. Even the atm fees have gotten higher in the last year. The NE is still cheap compared to the central and south of course.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3561 posts
2823 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: The THB has been appreciating against the USD as well as CAD over the past few years and more money in the economy there means higher inflation. I've noticed the price of many things in Thailand (well Bangkok in particular) rise over the past 19-20 years more so in the past 10 or so (recovery from '97). Restaurant prices (catering to middle-class Bangkok residents) isn't too far from Canadian prices these days. A simple lunch at a supermarket food court in Bangkok and surrounds runs THB 100 these day. Was last in Bangkok May last year.
Well as their wages and spending power rise, prices will go up. They're not as impoverished as before especially in Bangkok . Lots of rich Thais who have spending power and prices go up to reflect it

I mean it's good for the Thai people, just not as good for westerners looking for a poor country to visit for more value. But many other countries still for value, I much prefer Malaysia over Thailand anyways
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4528 posts
1980 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
StatsGuy wrote: I much prefer Malaysia over Thailand anyways
Shhh! Don't let the secret out! Fortunately the place scares away the Islamophobes.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3561 posts
2823 upvotes
Updated with new info for Thailand. looks like min stay is now 90 days vs earlier discussion of 30 days. 14 day quarantine is still required but no mention of negative tests so far
Oct 31, 2012
387 posts
574 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote: Updated with new info for Thailand. looks like min stay is now 90 days vs earlier discussion of 30 days. 14 day quarantine is still required but no mention of negative tests so far
Nice to see a quick turnaround! I believe the Tourism Authority of Thailand just put the bill forward less than 2 weeks ago.
Oct 31, 2012
387 posts
574 upvotes
Toronto
This news came out a few days ago so I thought I would update the page. Nice and simple as is everything in The Kingdom Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes. The application fee is going to be 10K baht plus 7% VAT, 2K baht for Embassy/Consulate fee, and then 2K baht for each 90-day renewal. All accommodations even after the 15 days ASQ have to be prepaid which makes last-minute domestic travel impossible. I am guessing so they know where to find you for tracing purposes.
Images
  • 8inm5e2ysho51.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
9308 posts
6911 upvotes
unless you are a remote worker or retired and can stay for a while, i cant see how anyone is going to thailand right now for a vacation
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8669 posts
3136 upvotes
Toronto
Sanyo wrote: unless you are a remote worker or retired and can stay for a while, i cant see how anyone is going to thailand right now for a vacation

Yes 90 days makes it challenging for most people. It is something for snowbirds to consider if they don't want to go to the US. There can still be many European seasonal workers going, because Thailand is still relatively cheap for them, and it's warm weather. We were surprised to meet quite a few such Europeans in Thailand last time.
Oct 31, 2012
387 posts
574 upvotes
Toronto
Arrgh wrote: Yes 90 days makes it challenging for most people. It is something for snowbirds to consider if they don't want to go to the US.
With only 1200 applicants of this visa allowed per month, it's going to be one hell of a lottery. As you said there are still many people in Canada alone that this may be advantageous for. I hope that I'm lucky enough to be processed in the first month or two when it rolls out but who knows how it will actually go.
Oct 31, 2012
387 posts
574 upvotes
Toronto
Nice! I'm hoping to stay at a Marriott brand hotel so I can earn points/nights (if/when I can get in). They seem to have decent deals for around 250 CAD/night for ASQ. Too bad it's as easy as 200 USD for IHG Platinum/ Intercontinental Ambassador otherwise this ASQ hotel could be useful for an IHG status bump or two.