• Apr 29th, 2013 2:01 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
2347 posts
374 upvotes
Toronto

Updating my resume: MYSQL vs. Project Management

So here is the situation. I currently have a job but would like to update my resume/education and are thinking of studying one of the following (and eventually getting a certificate for it)

-MYSQL Database (either just as a DB associate or management)

Or

-Project Management (Comptiaa Project+ certificate)

Which one do you guys think would be more valuable in today's job market? I haven't worked on either one, but had some exposure to both of them in academia and there is no one that I enjoy over the other (although Project Management has a slight advantage)

Which one would help for future job prospects or just to enhance my resume.

Currently, I am working in a job that is both Business+IT .

Thank you
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day
1 reply
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4994 posts
1515 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Woodbridge905 wrote: So here is the situation. I currently have a job but would like to update my resume/education and are thinking of studying one of the following (and eventually getting a certificate for it)

-MYSQL Database (either just as a DB associate or management)

Or

-Project Management (Comptiaa Project+ certificate)

Which one do you guys think would be more valuable in today's job market? I haven't worked on either one, but had some exposure to both of them in academia and there is no one that I enjoy over the other (although Project Management has a slight advantage)

Which one would help for future job prospects or just to enhance my resume.

Currently, I am working in a job that is both Business+IT .

Thank you
Project mgmt.

MYSQL cert would only give you credentials for MYSQL. Most db jobs look for multiple db exposure (such as Oracle, DB2, MSSQL). By having MYSQL cert on your resume, they may assume that you don't have experience in any other dbs, which is a minus.

If you really want to go down the DB path, I'd suggest getting at least Oracle cert.