• Jul 12th, 2012 1:35 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 27, 2010
294 posts
38 upvotes

Updating resume after first major job

I'm working on updating my resume so I can start searching for new positions and opportunities.
The question I have is what do I keep on my resume?
The resume I used to get this job included my summer position throughout university and two part time positions I had during the school year. It also included my extra-cirricular work and achievements which were two Vice President positions in a school engineering society and a provincial student engineering society.

Do I keep these old positions and education on the new resume or just focus on the position I've had for the past 6 months?
2 replies
Dec 8, 2010
23 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
You're going to hate this but, it really depends on the specific jobs you apply to since you have to tailor your resume for each posting. With that being said, I would say definitely keep the extracurricular achievements as employers like well rounded candidates. The part time and summer experience I think depends if they are relevant to the industry/field where you're applying for more jobs.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4535 posts
989 upvotes
Richmond Hill
If the sections you want to take out demonstrates skills and expertise already covered by your first job, then take it out.
Otherwise, those sections will add another dimension to your resume and display skills and behaviours not described by your first job.