Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
12197 posts
1958 upvotes
Vancouver

Upgrade Xbox one?

Any reason(s) to upgrade Xbox one to Xbox S? I don't own a 4K tv.

Thanks
11 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2014
1345 posts
4139 upvotes
Toronto
trellaine201 wrote: Any reason(s) to upgrade Xbox one to Xbox S? I don't own a 4K tv.

Thanks
Other than having an internal power supply and being smaller than the original XBOX One, the only major difference between the XB1 S and the OG is that the S features a 4K Blu-Ray player.

If you don't have a 4K TV let alone 4K Blu-Rays, then it should be an easy pass. But that's not to say the XB1 S is not worth it, because it is for new owners to the XB1 or people who need a cheap 4K Blu-Ray player. The XB1 S should've been what Microsoft originally released as the XBOX One. The OG is a monstrosity in terms of aesthetic and design. It puts VCR's and even the original XBOX in a good light because of its size, and despite its size it doesn't even have an internal power supply.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
12197 posts
1958 upvotes
Vancouver
Hahaha so true about the ones design. It's brutal. I liked the 360 design better lol.

Thanks for the info. I'll pass on the S.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4607 posts
1515 upvotes
Toronto
Just wait... Even if you want to upgrade to the S, wait til Scorpio comes out late this year and decide... I'm sure they'll drop the S price by then.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2007
1376 posts
355 upvotes
GVRD
trellaine201 wrote: Any reason(s) to upgrade Xbox one to Xbox S? I don't own a 4K tv.

Thanks
No; don't bother unless the current xbox is ready to break
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1679 posts
330 upvotes
BC
If you get a good deal take it. Personally I much prefer the S over the bulkier One with the huge power brick. But that's just me. Its personal.
"If you ever doubted yourself, remember, the Stupidest Man on earth became President" Li Ka Shing
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1474 posts
356 upvotes
I took advantage of the great trade holiday offer at EB. Also don't have a 4K TV

I've noticed a very clear advantage in UI/menu speed. Far less sticky than it was the bulkier version. Otherwise, yeah... it's the same console.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1419 posts
473 upvotes
Upgrade? More like sidegrade. Absolutely not. Save your money and put it towards a scorpio where you'll actually notice a difference. Xbox is in desperate need of a hardware upgrade.

That being said. I love my One S. One benefit is how quiet it is. If it wasn't for the light in the front you can't even tell when it's on compared to the turbine engine in my 360.

My xbox one S is 10/10 for silence. In comparison my PS4 Pro is also pretty quiet 8.5/10
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
6815 posts
5270 upvotes
Toronto
I did the upgrade to Xbox One S when EBG had the trade-in deal. I don't have a 4k TV yet, but it was succession planning for my Scorpio upgrade.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
19809 posts
5915 upvotes
OT but things look great even upscaled on a 4K TV. My Samsung KU7000 has a great pic for games playing (though only port 1 has HDR Pro) and things like anime look really good on it. Watched Dragonball Super for the first time on it today and noticed that all the jaggies and other picture defects completely disappeared vs. my 1080p set. Looks like I'll be using the Samsung to watch that show from here on out. I already use it to play games from both the Xbox One S and PS4...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5281 posts
3762 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Wait for Scorpio. Chances are there'll be another trade in promo for it and that'll be the best time to switch.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6630 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
It was worth it around Xmas with the trade in promos .. but I wouldn't bother now.