Art and Photography

Upgrading to 50D and Why?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2009 8:50 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3179 posts
521 upvotes

Upgrading to 50D and Why?

Hey Guys,

I've been using my XSi since December and am considering a switch to the 50D (or 5D for that matter). I'm wondering if anyone has upgraded and what the results were in terms of functionality and quality. I'd like to hear their personal opinions, not what some reviewer has said about it.

The reason I want to stick with the 50D vs 5D is so I can continue to use the EFS lenses, but the 5D would require a huge investment in additional lenses.

Thoughts?

Neil
26 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2235 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
neltron3030 wrote: Hey Guys,

I've been using my XSi since December and am considering a switch to the 50D. I'm wondering if anyone has upgraded and what the results were in terms of functionality and quality. I'd like to hear their personal opinions, not what some reviewer has said about it.

The reason I want to stick with the 50D vs 5D is so I can continue to use the EFS lenses.

Thoughts?

Neil
50D imo is no better than the 40D....

the noise in the 50 is just as bad or worse than the 40. this from first hand experience. saying this i would suggest a 40 instead or wait for the 60D.

only advantage over the XSi are build, FPS, and button layout. depends on what you are shooting whether these added benefits will suit your needs.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
6189 posts
958 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone has any guess on 60D?

40D vs 50D has (virtually) same noise on 100% crop. But 50D is 15mpx and 40D is ~10mpx - so 50D is giving you better quality because of bigger size(depending on what you do). Is it justified for the cost? Not for too many people.

40/50D biggest advantage is FOCUS! If you ever test them in real life low-light situation you will find out how much better 40D is in focusing.

Just my 2c
GTA Housing: Supply is the only Metrics that Matters
Active Listings has been the limiting factor for past 10 years.... and will be for next 10
Hence I pull exclusive data from MLS and update GTA HOUSING SUPPLY - Daily!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 12, 2003
15082 posts
1490 upvotes
Markham
PrinceMS wrote: Anyone has any guess on 60D?

40D vs 50D has (virtually) same noise on 100% crop. But 50D is 15mpx and 40D is ~10mpx - so 50D is giving you better quality because of bigger size(depending on what you do). Is it justified for the cost? Not for too many people.

40/50D biggest advantage is FOCUS! If you ever test them in real life low-light situation you will find out how much better 40D is in focusing.

Just my 2c
how so? both the 50D and 40D use the same AF sensors according to this review
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
1693 posts
102 upvotes
It sounds like you have a good feel for the 1.6x crop format. Upgrading to the 50D (or waiting for the 60D) seems the logical step.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2235 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
5D is a different kind of camera. A lot of things change when you go to full frame. You might not notice it but if you have a good eye its hard to miss.

1. most obvious is the FF so no crop factor to take into account
2. dynamic range. i was blown away at how much detail it retains esp in the highlights!
3. noise. inherently there is less noise on FF vs crop cameras. this may be nul compared to the new crop sensor bodies but still clean up real nice at 1600iso
4. depth of field gets a lot shallower since you are using the entire frame rather than crop
5. you lose reach on the FF due to the lack of a crop sensor

if these are changes you want in your camera then by all means go for a 5D. make sure all of your glass is FF though.
Member
Dec 17, 2004
230 posts
54 upvotes
Vancouver
If I was the OP, I'd go for a used 40D. The main upgrades the 50D bring over the 40D are the improved LCD screen (especially useful if you're shooting with fast glass to see if you've nailed focus at shallow DOF) and micro-adjustment.

Looking at the OP's gear list, the only lens that might really benefit from the LCD and micro-adjustment is the nifty-50. That's also the only usable lens on the 5D. If cost isn't a concern, then the 5D would be the way to go, but it'd cost at least $3000 to replace some of those lenses/focal lengths and the body.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2235 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
Dailow wrote: If I was the OP, I'd go for a used 40D. The main upgrades the 50D bring over the 40D are the improved LCD screen (especially useful if you're shooting with fast glass to see if you've nailed focus at shallow DOF) and micro-adjustment.

Looking at the OP's gear list, the only lens that might really benefit from the LCD and micro-adjustment is the nifty-50. That's also the only usable lens on the 5D. If cost isn't a concern, then the 5D would be the way to go, but it'd cost at least $3000 to replace some of those lenses/focal lengths and the body.
^i 2nd this choice
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1484 upvotes
Pickering
ryan_lau100 wrote: 50D imo is no better than the 40D....

the noise in the 50 is just as bad or worse than the 40. this from first hand experience. saying this i would suggest a 40 instead or wait for the 60D.

only advantage over the XSi are build, FPS, and button layout. depends on what you are shooting whether these added benefits will suit your needs.
+1, and more...

The 50D does not have the same sharpness per pixel that the 40D has. The screen on the 50D is better, but most of the woes on the 40D screen come from when you zoom in past about 70%. The camera just stretches the image and it looks blurry. If the picture is sharp zoomed 70% of the way in, going another 30% is not going to reveal any difference.

The build of the 40/50D is more solid. The focus points are all horizontal and vertical sensing on the 40/50D while they are not on the XSI. The thumbwheel and joystick allow fast autofocus point selection and you could adjust the shutterspeed and aperture at the same time because of the two separate controls. The 40/50D has almost double the framerate. The RAW buffer is 17/16 on the 40/50D vs 6 for the XSI. The shutter lag is 59ms on the 40/50D vs 90 on the XSI.

As you can see the 40/50D specialize in speed and durability. I have a 40D and I am waiting for a 60D and 5dMk2 ( the way things are going, maybe it'll be a 5dMK3...). The pictures fom the 50D with a little more noise and a little less sharpness make me keep my 40D inspite of some features on the 50D I would like (AF fine tuning).

I also use an XTI which takes great pics and is nice to use... until I want to shoot fast.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1484 upvotes
Pickering
ShadowVlican wrote: how so? both the 50D and 40D use the same AF sensors according to this review
Nope, not even close. The 40/50D can focus using its crosshair peripheral points in very low light, while the Rebel series is fairly clueless under the same conditions.

Here is an article that shows you the difference.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revi ... eview.aspx

Scroll down to the picture of the AF layout and you can pick a few cameras for comparison by mousing over the names.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2235 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
AudiDude wrote: I have a 40D and I am waiting for a 60D and 5dMk2 ( the way things are going, maybe it'll be a 5dMK3...).
kinda OT but how long you planning on waiting? lol

the 5d2s are still OOS in a lot of places

60D i suspect is coming this fall or maybe beg of next yr. depending on what that has to offer i might opt for one of those or the 1d3/1d4
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 12, 2003
15082 posts
1490 upvotes
Markham
habsfan93 wrote: I think he's saying that the 40D/50D have an advantage on the XSi in terms of focus.
oic.. misunderstood what he was talking about... obviously i thought he was comparing the 40D and the 50D, whoops :cheesygri
AudiDude wrote: Nope, not even close. The 40/50D can focus using its crosshair peripheral points in very low light, while the Rebel series is fairly clueless under the same conditions.

Here is an article that shows you the difference.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revi ... eview.aspx

Scroll down to the picture of the AF layout and you can pick a few cameras for comparison by mousing over the names.
sorry, see above
ShadowVlican
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1484 upvotes
Pickering
ryan_lau100 wrote: kinda OT but how long you planning on waiting? lol

the 5d2s are still OOS in a lot of places

60D i suspect is coming this fall or maybe beg of next yr. depending on what that has to offer i might opt for one of those or the 1d3/1d4
I will wait a bit because of a few reasons.

1) I am sure the 50D will be revamped to the 60D before I will get a 5DMK2, so I will have something to tide me over until I see a 5dMK2/3.
2) I am wearing the money I had saved for my 5dMK2 on my wrist in the form of a watch and will soon be out of pocket even more for my Vegas trip and just got back from a Scottsdale trip 27 days ago. I had planned to get a 5dMK2 in Feb/Mar...

I am not particularly happy with the small AF point arrangement in the 5DMK2 and I am dissapointed in the 50D in regards to noise. If a 60D comes with better AF and less noise, I am interested. I can play with that for 6 months and then look to the 5DMK3 which should fix every complaint (I don't really care about the video issues). I like the fact that Nikon finally got off their ass and now force Canon to be competetive so I get more for the money.

So I want both cams. For the amount of money it costs for extenders that you would need to put on a 5DmkX if you wanted more zoom and to maintain the best optical quality with an extender, a crop body is a better solution as it covers all my Canon and Sigma lenses.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2235 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
AudiDude wrote: I will wait a bit because of a few reasons.

1) I am sure the 50D will be revamped to the 60D before I will get a 5DMK2, so I will have something to tide me over until I see a 5dMK2/3.
2) I am wearing the money I had saved for my 5dMK2 on my wrist in the form of a watch and will soon be out of pocket even more for my Vegas trip and just got back from a Scottsdale trip 27 days ago. I had planned to get a 5dMK2 in Feb/Mar...

I am not particularly happy with the small AF point arrangement in the 5DMK2 and I am dissapointed in the 50D in regards to noise. If a 60D comes with better AF and less noise, I am interested. I can play with that for 6 months and then look to the 5DMK3 which should fix every complaint (I don't really care about the video issues). I like the fact that Nikon finally got off their ass and now force Canon to be competetive so I get more for the money.

So I want both cams. For the amount of money it costs for extenders that you would need to put on a 5DmkX if you wanted more zoom and to maintain the best optical quality with an extender, a crop body is a better solution as it covers all my Canon and Sigma lenses.
Your argument is definitely sound in terms of waiting for the next 5D. If I could have waited I would have because of those EXACT issues with the 5D. I also had the 50D... for a week! Then returned it due to the lack of impressive features. As for the 5D2 AF for tracking its quite good! Tracked speed bikes and didn't miss a beat, however put it in a low light situation and you're as good as dead!

I'm hoping the AF in the 1D3 or 1D4 will satisfy my needs! Might need to settle with the 60D though depending on the money situation by then.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1484 upvotes
Pickering
ryan_lau100 wrote: Your argument is definitely sound in terms of waiting for the next 5D. If I could have waited I would have because of those EXACT issues with the 5D. I also had the 50D... for a week! Then returned it due to the lack of impressive features. As for the 5D2 AF for tracking its quite good! Tracked speed bikes and didn't miss a beat, however put it in a low light situation and you're as good as dead!

I'm hoping the AF in the 1D3 or 1D4 will satisfy my needs! Might need to settle with the 60D though depending on the money situation by then.
Supposedly Canon is working on new AF and may include a 1D2 or dumbed down 1d3 AF in the 60D. Rumours are an improved 15 megapixel sensor and new AF. Lots of birders who can't afford a 1dMK3 are using 40/50D so an improved 60D could be a hot seller. I don't have any issues with the 40D AF.

My concerns with the 5DMK2 is that when I am working without a tripod and time and wish to take an inspirational wide shot I like to flick the joystick to move the AF point to focus on a certain building to convey what I see. Now if the AF point is not far enough away from the centre point, the picture wont be the same unless I manual focus. I intend to get a 16-35 2.8, so that I can shoot at 2.8 and bring stronger focus to certain parts of the photo.

Obviously if the focus points are very close, no matter which one I pick I will be SOL. So now I am back to doing the same thing with the 20D use the centre point, focus and recompose. This is why I went 40D and skipped 30D.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2235 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
AudiDude wrote: Supposedly Canon is working on new AF and may include a 1D2 or dumbed down 1d3 AF in the 60D. Rumours are an improved 15 megapixel sensor and new AF. Lots of birders who can't afford a 1dMK3 are using 40/50D so an improved 60D could be a hot seller. I don't have any issues with the 40D AF.

My concerns with the 5DMK2 is that when I am working without a tripod and time and wish to take an inspirational wide shot I like to flick the joystick to move the AF point to focus on a certain building to convey what I see. Now if the AF point is not far enough away from the centre point, the picture wont be the same unless I manual focus. I intend to get a 16-35 2.8, so that I can shoot at 2.8 and bring stronger focus to certain parts of the photo.

Obviously if the focus points are very close, no matter which one I pick I will be SOL. So now I am back to doing the same thing with the 20D use the centre point, focus and recompose. This is why I went 40D and skipped 30D.
Yep!
its really dumb! they threw in the same focus points from a crop camera into a FF so the coverage is pretty weak and concentrated towards the center.

I wouldn't hold my breath with that 1d3AF in a XXd series camera. That would just eat into their 1D sales wayyyy too much. which is why they had to dum down the 5D AF so it wont compete with the 1ds3. with canon everything is done for a reason not because they cant.

i think a lot of people jumped onto the D700 who would have prob opted for the D3 if the D700 didnt exist. thats just my opinion though.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1484 upvotes
Pickering
ryan_lau100 wrote: Yep!
its really dumb! they threw in the same focus points from a crop camera into a FF so the coverage is pretty weak and concentrated towards the center.

I wouldn't hold my breath with that 1d3AF in a XXd series camera. That would just eat into their 1D sales wayyyy too much. which is why they had to dum down the 5D AF so it wont compete with the 1ds3. with canon everything is done for a reason not because they cant.

i think a lot of people jumped onto the D700 who would have prob opted for the D3 if the D700 didnt exist. thats just my opinion though.
Well, if they included the 1d2n AF, that would be good enough. Supposedly the next gen 1d4 will be better, so I could see them including it (1d2/2n AF) in the 60D, but not the 5dMK3 unless they really amped up the AF in the 1dsMK4 because that would really put the hurt on the 1dsX series if they did. I also see the FPS a limiting factor in not taking on the 1dmk3, the 1dmk4 FPS is rumoured to be even higher (as is the 60D, but I get enough FPS with the 40D anyway, even with the 20D).

Back to the OP, if you can get a 40D, get it, unless you desire a small size or have no need to have quick direct access to settings. A 50D is not going to take a bad picture, it is just disappointing that they felt that the purchasers of the camera were newbies and would be attracted to a higher pixel count and it cost us in the noise/sharpness section.
I would prefer a 50D with a self cleaning 20D sensor in it... or a 5DMK2 sensor.

Top