• Oct 30th, 2019 3:03 am
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 24, 2015
34 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Upgrading Win7 to Win10, and then dual-booting [same license]

Does anyone here have experience dual booting Win10 on a Win7 machine - especially one that was upgraded with the Win7's license?
After the upgrade, does your Win7 license become invalid?
I want to do a clean install of Win10, but also retain Win7 for the many apps that I still use, including a lot of Steam games.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4665 posts
4718 upvotes
Vancouver
Yes, I'm doing that on this machine. No problem.
[OP]
Apr 24, 2015
34 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, ON
And have you been able to go through all the regular Windows 7 updates as well? At any point, has it said your license is invalid?
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4665 posts
4718 upvotes
Vancouver
Schnake wrote: And have you been able to go through all the regular Windows 7 updates as well? At any point, has it said your license is invalid?
Win7 updates work fine, no issues.

Win10 update is another matter, but nothing to do with the licence. It has gotten stuck on an older version. It constantly asks to update, then goes through a 3 hour cycle where it downloads the latest Win10 again, churns away for a couple of hours, throws an obscure error code that many people have seen but nobody has explained, then spends another hour backing out to the starting version. Microsoft says to throw it out and do a clean install - very helpful.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6329 posts
2831 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Scote64 wrote: Win10 update is another matter, but nothing to do with the licence. It has gotten stuck on an older version. It constantly asks to update, then goes through a 3 hour cycle where it downloads the latest Win10 again, churns away for a couple of hours, throws an obscure error code that many people have seen but nobody has explained, then spends another hour backing out to the starting version. Microsoft says to throw it out and do a clean install - very helpful.
To be fair, when I got my 2 Win 7 desktops out of storage (inactive for 4 years), getting them updated and patched to the latest version was a similar ordeal with lots of failed UGs. What I did was selecting a few UGs at a time nd eventually caught up with the backlog. Not sure if that is an option with Win 10.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Apr 24, 2015
34 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I finally did it! Installed a new SSD. Ran it through Win10 install that I downloaded to USB some years back - build 10586, I think. It immediately tried to update to the latest version. Failed! It got stuck at 99%, I rebooted, and then it would just boot to blank screen.
Downloaded latest build onto USB. Clean installed again. Worked perfectly this time! And also able to dual-boot back into Win7.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19597 posts
3596 upvotes
Toronto
Does Microsoft still do this with previous versions of Windows connected to the internet?

I'm thinking of bringing my old XP machine back from the dead to run some 16-bit stuff and I’m wondering how feasible it would be.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
Technically speaking? You're fine.
License wise? You're probably breaking it.

If you don't care about the license (ie if you're not a business that can get audited) you're good to go.