UPS brokerage bill

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2010 1:31 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2007
1884 posts
124 upvotes
Calgary
Ordered $1500 worth of stuff from B&H and chose UPS World Saver. They arrived in one day and didn't even charge me GST (no duties of course). How does that happen?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
darklord700 wrote: Ordered $1500 worth of stuff from B&H and chose UPS World Saver. They arrived in one day and didn't even charge me GST (no duties of course). How does that happen?

UPS must have missed out in billing you $200 or so for HST.
Maybe customs misread the waybill and thought that B&H had already collected this from you as part of their Worldwide Express Saver shipping option.

They may catch up to it and try and bill you later.

You win some, you lose some ...

UPDATE: You could have opted for B&H's new Purolator taxes prepaid service: http://www.photoprice.ca/article/bh-che ... g-tax-duty
Sep 14, 2008
138 posts
5 upvotes
I always ask that they put gift on the custom tag with 0.$$ value - therefore no duties paid.
Ive always done this with one company, course it was on $50 worth of product.ep
And some countries are exempt from duties and fees - and are cheaper then buying in Canada :evil:
Nov 6, 2005
450 posts
14 upvotes
Vancouver
darklord700 wrote: Ordered $1500 worth of stuff from B&H and chose UPS World Saver. They arrived in one day and didn't even charge me GST (no duties of course). How does that happen?

You don't get charged for camera equipment if I recall.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
Unless your a busines, Fkcu UPS! Scoundrels, rip off artists, whatever you want to call them. I make sure I contact any seller/store to make sure they don't use UPS. And if your not home etc have fun picking up your item miles away. In YVR , majority of people live in the dt core. Have fun driving to the airport to pick your item up , oh and have fun waiting in line to get your item. Service there is horrendous!
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
2930 posts
621 upvotes
Ajax
I refuse to use UPS due to this ridiculous charge. Onced burned twice shy. Sorry about your purchase.
Oct 7, 2007
633 posts
207 upvotes
Markham
You can do the brokerage yourself. Just get the tracking number then call in and tell them you're doing brokerage yourself.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2712 posts
1058 upvotes
subagear wrote: You don't get charged for camera equipment if I recall.

No duty....but it should be taxed.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2799 posts
259 upvotes
Vancouver
mrmccowcow wrote: You can do the brokerage yourself. Just get the tracking number then call in and tell them you're doing brokerage yourself.

Tell who? UPS? How does this work?

The last time I got a ridiculous brokerage bill, I said send it back, and then ended up dropping it off at my door a few days later for with no brokerage fee. Anyone else do this?