Shopping Discussion

UPS delivery fee scam - But they have my name, phone number, and a legit UPS waybill number?!?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2021 11:13 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19290 posts
5372 upvotes
Toronto

UPS delivery fee scam - But they have my name, phone number, and a legit UPS waybill number?!?

I got a text today in January 2021 for a delivery in November 2020, which has a legit UPS waybill number, and my name, and obviously my telephone number. It's asking me to contact https://ups-ground.click/?&trck=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx where the last part represents the waybill number, so that I can supposedly pay a delivery fee.

I know it's a scam because of the formatting and spelling, and also because there is no extra fee on this item (which as mentioned I already got way back in November). Plus there is no contact info, just an internet link.

What concerns me is that this is a legit shipment from Apple using UPS. How the hell did they get all my information? It's all accurate.
12 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19290 posts
5372 upvotes
Toronto
This is the text. I blocked out my name and waybill number, but both are completely correct. And it was texted to my telephone number associated with that order.

ScamUPS.jpg
Jan 10, 2021
1 posts
1 upvote
I experienced the exact same scam, received a text with the same copy today for an Apple delivery in late November 2020. Even if they for some reason got hold of the email confirmation Apple sent me, which had the UPS tracking number, how did they get my phone number?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19290 posts
5372 upvotes
Toronto
alex2189 wrote: I experienced the exact same scam, received a text with the same copy today for an Apple delivery in late November 2020. Even if they for some reason got hold of the email confirmation Apple sent me, which had the UPS tracking number, how did they get my phone number?
I wonder if it's a UPS leak, because I have UPS My Choice with text updates turned on, so they have my number registered. Do you have UPS My Choice? Or did you give them your phone number.

I also have my number with Apple, so that's another potential source of the leak, esp. since for both of us, they were Apple orders.
Dec 18, 2020
9 posts
6 upvotes
This is most likely a leak from within UPS. Maybe even somebody at UPS feeding info to a scammer for money. There's almost zero chance this is from Apple's side.
Feb 18, 2012
823 posts
431 upvotes
Victoria
Was the original shipment from the US? Did you pay duty/taxes when you received it? This is what all the couriers are doing now, they send you a bill months later. Fedex has been doing it for years.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5769 posts
5267 upvotes
Horsey2345 wrote: Was the original shipment from the US? Did you pay duty/taxes when you received it? This is what all the couriers are doing now, they send you a bill months later. Fedex has been doing it for years.
Did you read the OP?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19290 posts
5372 upvotes
Toronto
Horsey2345 wrote: Was the original shipment from the US? Did you pay duty/taxes when you received it? This is what all the couriers are doing now, they send you a bill months later. Fedex has been doing it for years.
It’s an Apple shipment. Apple shipments never get charged anything extra regardless of where they are coming from. I’ve gotten shipments from Apple from the US and from China and there have never been additional fees.

However, this particular shipment came from Canada anyway.
Jan 31, 2006
89 posts
50 upvotes
EugW wrote: I got a text today in January 2021 for a delivery in November 2020, which has a legit UPS waybill number, and my name, and obviously my telephone number. It's asking me to contact https://ups-ground.click/?&trck=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx where the last part represents the waybill number, so that I can supposedly pay a delivery fee.

I know it's a scam because of the formatting and spelling, and also because there is no extra fee on this item (which as mentioned I already got way back in November). Plus there is no contact info, just an internet link.

What concerns me is that this is a legit shipment from Apple using UPS. How the hell did they get all my information? It's all accurate.

I got the exact same kind of text. It has my name, valid tracking # for an apple shipment (that ended up being lost and re-shipped).
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19290 posts
5372 upvotes
Toronto
I got a response back from UPS.

All they said is that it is not from UPS, that they are aware of it, and not to click on any links. I had asked if they knew were the source of the leak was from but not surprisingly, they didn't provide that information.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15025 posts
6428 upvotes
Ottawa
got the same sms but I deleted it right away. I didn't check the waybill number if it was my Apple shipment in the summer but I am registered for UPS MyChoice
Rich or poor, paying full price for anything is for suckers. Be an informed purchaser by searching RFD for the all-time-low price.