Computers & Electronics

UPS installed on Modem & Router, but still can't connect to internet during power failure.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2022 10:20 am
Aug 26, 2007
48 posts
50 upvotes
Peel Region

UPS installed on Modem & Router, but still can't connect to internet during power failure.

During a power failure, my router and modem are powered by a UPS, but I still fail to get internet connectivity. I assume the reason is simply that the cable network's local node serving my area also loses power, but I'd like to hear another take or find if this happens to others.

I have a UPS setup for my PC. In 2021, I setup a UPS just for my modem and router. The intention was to avoid temporary internet connectivity losses while working from home should a brief power failure occur (such as during a meeting or while in the middle of something important). To test, when the house has power, I can unplug the modem & router's UPS from the wall. The UPS kicks in and I can still get online.

The problem occurs during an actual power failure. For both power failures since I setup the UPS, the modem and router remain powered on, and I can connect to the router, but there was no signal coming in and I lose internet connectivity.

ISP: Teksavvy
Type: Cable 75Mbps unlimited (they use Rogers' infrastructure for the cable)

As I mentioned above, I assume the reason I don't get any signal when the local power goes out is that cable is part of a communications network, and the "last mile" of the connection to my local service area has also lost power. I appreciate any insights or experiences with this situation.
12 replies
Feb 9, 2008
409 posts
332 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
You're probably right, unless there's also a switch or something between the modem and your router that's not on UPS.
The modem should also have status LED that shows connectivity, which you can check during a power outage.

I recall I still had internet access when the power went out when I was using Shaw's cable internet, so I find it weird Rogers doesn't have backup power.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2020
1403 posts
1684 upvotes
You will need to have a connection via a different last mile provider to maintain connectivity when Rogers infrastructure goes down. You could either switch to another provider entirely or have a backup connection that you use only when Rogers goes down.

The providers are generally unwilling to divulge reliability information, however, so you will need to sign up for other services and see what (if anything) stays up during a power outage. VDSL over copper should be more robust than cable. Fibre is a crapshoot. Cellular should hold up at least for a few hours, but outages may result in bad network congestion as everyone else connects to the cellular network.

If you opt for a backup connection, note that seamless failover of services that rely on continuous TCP connections (e.g. RDP, SSH, and most VPNs) won't be possible. When your main connection drops, you will need to reconnect. Web-based services should cope without disruption.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
TekSavvy has nothing to do with it, it's Rogers. Judging by multiple reports here and on DSLReports.com it's a hit or miss. In some areas cable internet doesn't go down with power outages, in some does. The same with phones lines (V/DSL) but the phone line is more likely to stay up. Probably cell internet would be the most reliable.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
8453 posts
6938 upvotes
Easy enough to simulate a loss of power on your end - unplug ups from the wall outlet and look at modem lights. It shouldnt even change.
Feb 23, 2004
928 posts
220 upvotes
Richmond
Depends on where you are. A couple years ago when I was with Teksavvy my connection did NOT go down with the power. Now that I'm with Novus (a regional FTTB provider) it does go down.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1826 posts
1876 upvotes
Just use your cell as a hotspot if your power goes out during the day and you can’t connect through your router. And honestly, how many times has your power gone out during the day in the last 10 years? Mine maybe once in 10 years. So why even worry about it?
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2699 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
Are you in a new build or a house built in the last 5 years maybe? In my new build, Rogers comes into the house via fibre into a media converter to coax. That requires a separate power as well so I have a UPS for that as well.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7843 posts
9202 upvotes
Vancouver
Things that need power:

1) CATV hybrid fiber-coaxial network. An optical node converts downstream optical signal to an electrical signal going through the coaxial cable. That node requires power.

2) Trunk and distribution amplifiers to split the coaxial cable signal at the neighborhood level.

In general, there are self-contained backup batteries for these devices, but whether they are maintained by Rogers and work during a power outage is another story.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
ProductGuy wrote: Just use your cell as a hotspot if your power goes out during the day and you can’t connect through your router. And honestly, how many times has your power gone out during the day in the last 10 years? Mine maybe once in 10 years. So why even worry about it?
A person whose power went out once in ten years wouldn't ask this question. The experience is recent based on the OP. You must be in good spot. My power went out numerous times in the past 10 years
Jul 15, 2003
911 posts
637 upvotes
Ottawa
Check to make sure you don't have an amplifier at the point where the cable enters your house... if the power goes out then that will block any signal to your cable modem.

In my case I ran an extension cord from the UPS powering my cable modem to the amplifier and I get a good 30 minutes of wifi during an outage. My next step is to get a bigger UPS to run the network longer.
Aug 26, 2007
48 posts
50 upvotes
Peel Region
Appreciate the help everyone.

I checked the cable wire coming into the house, and it does not connect to an amplifier or go through any other devices (before reaching the modem). The cable is not split, either. Also, the house and area I am in is over 40 years old, not a new subdivision. I'm glad I checked the cable for other devices, and I can verify that isn't the problem either.

As well, thanks for the good information regarding city-wide network infrastructure. "Hit or miss" seems to apply for any service's local network connectivity during a power outage.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18021 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
Unless you have Rogers home phone with some form of power backup, you will have connectivity loss when the power goes down. This is why Bell phone lines shine even in power outages. I remember years ago when we had a Big Blackout, my DSL modem connected to my UPS, I was able to web browse as the signal was still up.