None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5770 posts
3741 upvotes
West Vancouver

UPS- One delivery attempt

So i ordered a 10-20$ item and it was shipped via UPS.

After a single delivery attempt (which was 2-3 days off their crappy estimated delivery date), it was sent ''FOR MY CONVENIENCE'' (yeah right) to a local store for pickup.

Problem:
-I was expecting 3 attempts (as usual...)

-Store is 5km away

-Spending 15 min on this is not worth it to me (clearly it does not worth it for them either)

What happened to the 3 attempts ?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1669 posts
417 upvotes
Vancouver
And did you ask UPS to make another attempt?
May 21, 2013
833 posts
377 upvotes
Montreal
Their policies might have changed with the number of delivery attempts and sending more of their items to be stored at depos for local pick up. I think they are trying to copy Canada Posts model, also this is save a ***** ton of money on gas.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5770 posts
3741 upvotes
West Vancouver
They dropped it to a local business for me to pick up after a single attempt.

Pretty bad practice, people pay for goods to be delivered to them and they are forced to take their money and time to go pick it at a random local business.

I won't be spending my time getting it. Paid to get it delivered and they wont do it.
Apr 13, 2010
560 posts
299 upvotes
Napanee, ON
Give them a call. I can't remember which carrier, but we've convinced one of them make an extra delivery attempt. That was years ago though.

5km away isn't bad though. Purolator always only tries once and tells us to go pick it up 30km away. We ended up getting a No Signature Required sticker for Purolator to avoid that.
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5770 posts
3741 upvotes
West Vancouver
cybersaga wrote: Give them a call. I can't remember which carrier, but we've convinced one of them make an extra delivery attempt. That was years ago though.

5km away isn't bad though. Purolator always only tries once and tells us to go pick it up 30km away. We ended up getting a No Signature Required sticker for Purolator to avoid that.
Yes i'll call them.

To return to sender or do what they have been paid for, delivering it to me.

I'll post the results.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29374 posts
14876 upvotes
I've never understood the 3 delivery attempts, especially in residential areas. I'm sure they burn more fuel than they collect on some of the smaller packages.
Then again... I've been delivering to business addresses where there's always someone 9-5 so I've never missed a delivery.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
4421 posts
1887 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
Coz4k wrote: So i ordered a 10-20$ item and it was shipped via UPS.

After a single delivery attempt (which was 2-3 days off their crappy estimated delivery date), it was sent ''FOR MY CONVENIENCE'' (yeah right) to a local store for pickup.

Problem:
-I was expecting 3 attempts (as usual...)

-Store is 5km away

-Spending 15 min on this is not worth it to me (clearly it does not worth it for them either)

What happened to the 3 attempts ?
5k? Really? You're complaining about that?

My 'local' UPS pickup location is about 65km away. All packages are sent there after zero delivery attempts, for some reason. I no longer order from stores that ship via UPS.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
3227 posts
906 upvotes
Alberta
Coz4k wrote: Yes i'll call them.

To return to sender or do what they have been paid for, delivering it to me.

I'll post the results.
Man, you need to settle down. You sound like a total chore.

Part of being a mature adult is being right and being reasonable about it.

Call them and I bet dollars to donuts they'll make another delivery attempt. Done. Be nice on the phone.
Jul 4, 2015
793 posts
196 upvotes
Stouffville
Did you pay for shipping or was the item free shipping? I'm wondering if they have a new policy now for inexpensive ($10-20) items with free shipping where they attempt it once, and that's it. Seems pretty reasonable to me if that's the case.
Sep 14, 2008
167 posts
111 upvotes
Richmond Hill
My UPS guy left it on our front porch. I'd probably prefer the 5km drive to pick it up over the chance that someone takes my parcel from my front porch.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
3227 posts
906 upvotes
Alberta
fyremist wrote: My UPS guy left it on our front porch. I'd probably prefer the 5km drive to pick it up over the chance that someone takes my parcel from my front porch.
See, and I prefer it left on the porch. It's too bad - Purolator, Fedex and Canpar let you choose whether you want safe drop or not. UPS does not, it's entirely driver discretion.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1008 posts
398 upvotes
Newmarket, Ontario
Ive never gotten more than 1 delivery attempt before it goes to the UPS store for pick up, the same for all companies in my experience. Personally it worked best for me because I'm at work during the day so any other delivery attempt would be the same result.

3 attempts seems like a waste of money for UPS, the time and gas cant possibly be worth it.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2013
1615 posts
2291 upvotes
Its better that way. 3 delivery attempts was *****. If im not there on monday at 2 pm, im not going to be there on tuesday at the same time.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1023 posts
591 upvotes
Somewhere between Mi…
I don't mind getting it from the depot. At least I would feel better than my goods being bumped around in the back of a truck or temperature/condensation issues from storing them in the truck for a few nights in winter. I would rather that than the way it used to be with them sneaking up to the door and leaving the stickers on the door without ringing the bell or knocking, even evading the best watch dog in the world.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
3203 posts
883 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
Russell wrote: 5k? Really? You're complaining about that?

My 'local' UPS pickup location is about 65km away. All packages are sent there after zero delivery attempts, for some reason. I no longer order from stores that ship via UPS.
You are in the minority and 5km is still inconvenient even if it's not far.
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac