• May 14th, 2020 9:24 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6058 posts
1047 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec

UPS Package Stuck? How can I call UPS?

Seems a package from Amazon shipped via UPS is somehow "stuck" in Ottawa.

Ottawa is the last UPS terminal before packages are delivered to me - delivery was originally scheduled by UPS for Tuesday. May 5, then on Tuesday night when it didn't arrive to Wednesday, May 6, now maybe 7th or 8th.

I get this when I check detailed tracking (latest info on top):
In Transit

05/07/2020 9:00 Ottawa, ON, Canada
Your package has been delayed due to events beyond our control. We're adjusting delivery plans as quickly as possible.

05/06/2020 9:00 Ottawa, ON, Canada
Your package has been delayed due to events beyond our control. We're adjusting delivery plans as quickly as possible.

05/05/2020 9:00 Ottawa, ON, Canada

05/02/2020 7:06 Ottawa, ON, Canada
Arrival Scan
Last time this happened where a package seems to be "stuck" at a location, it eventually ended up being lost completely.

I appreciate that these are not normal times, but giving me the same explanation, which is really none, three times in a row is not helpful.
Can't find a phone number for UPS to see if they can tell me what is going on and when to expect the package.

Anyone have a number - UPS's on line automated help is useless. Is there any point calling Amazon?
43 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2001
4271 posts
2490 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
Telephone Telephone Receiver

UPS is overloaded, there’s other threads out there.
😱
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2978 posts
954 upvotes
Ottawa
For me, I've found that recently, the Kanata facility tends to have a 4 - 7 business day delay once it arrives there.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
2956 posts
2883 upvotes
GTA
krs wrote: Seems a package from Amazon shipped via UPS is somehow "stuck" in Ottawa.

Ottawa is the last UPS terminal before packages are delivered to me - delivery was originally scheduled by UPS for Tuesday. May 5, then on Tuesday night when it didn't arrive to Wednesday, May 6, now maybe 7th or 8th.

Last time this happened where a package seems to be "stuck" at a location, it eventually ended up being lost completely.

I appreciate that these are not normal times, but giving me the same explanation, which is really none, three times in a row is not helpful.
Can't find a phone number for UPS to see if they can tell me what is going on and when to expect the package.

Anyone have a number - UPS's on line automated help is useless. Is there any point calling Amazon?
It's right on their website under Help and Support Centre.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6058 posts
1047 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Thanks - I missed it, I never scrolled down far enough.

Probably because I'm mad for UPS stringing me along with previous info on their website that it will be delivered on Tuesday and then changing that on Tuesday night when it was obvious it won't be Tuesday.
And a repeat of that on Wednesday etc.
May 17, 2007
142 posts
26 upvotes
This is the new norm for UPS.

Pretty much everything they deliver seems to be about a week delayed once the the packages are shipped. And then they just appear on my doorstep one day and I receive the "delivered" notification.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6058 posts
1047 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Akitakara wrote: For me, I've found that recently, the Kanata facility tends to have a 4 - 7 business day delay once it arrives there.
Thanks, that is most helpful
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15194 posts
12350 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Also in Eastern Ontario ...
And have had several parcels of late route thru Ottawa area
My experience is similar to what you are seeing ... same blurb (or mentions Covid sometimes)
Guess there’s a big backlog in Ottawa-NCR @ the UPS Depot(s)

I find things usually sit there 2, 3, 4 days
Before it finally gets onto a truck heading to me

And ya, the scans aren’t always recorded in a timely fashion either
Goes from stuck ... to sitting on my Doorstep
(No ... out for delivery phase)
Just shows up ... then the tracker says DELIVERED afterwards
Oct 15, 2012
342 posts
363 upvotes
Sudbury
Pray they don't send it back to Sender; I lost my Warehouse Deal item that left Calgary and went back and forth through Ontario and finally back to sender Amazon--and since Amazon has not answered emails in a month or more, I assume it's gone! :( Good luck! Most seem to have jumped onto the Covid-19 pandemic as the reason for any issues.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3369 posts
1983 upvotes
Edmonton
This is a godsend for UPS. They can now blame Covid for delivery delays and their crappy service although how it would affect delivery, I don’t know.

I have a package scheduled for delivery today but it was never scanned at my local depot and there is no “on truck for delivery” scan. Pretty sure I won’t see it today.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9209 posts
2992 upvotes
What is going on with UPS? They have missed 2 scheduled packages.
Discomfort is your friend
Jul 14, 2018
357 posts
402 upvotes
DMing UPS over Twitter has been helpful to resolve an issue I had with them a few weeks ago. They investigated and located a lost package quite quickly, and got back to me via phone.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6058 posts
1047 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
NinjaSaves wrote: They investigated and located a lost package quite quickly, and got back to me via phone.
At what point does one decide that the package may be lost and to contact them to see if they can find it?

I assume the longer one waits (after it is really lost rather than just delayed), the poorwr thw chances they can recover it.

It would help if UPS posted something like "Your package may be delayed up to 7 business days", instead of the meaningless "Your package has been delayed due to events beyond our control" over and over again.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3115 posts
1010 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
Generally, ... and I do mean generally ... I don't see how people phoning about a delayed item can be helpful. It just adds to costs and takes staff away from ... well ... delivering. In many cases, the delivery company does not know any more than we know from tracking. They certainly should not be dropping tools to hunt down a caller's package just to be able to tell them where it is.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
2956 posts
2883 upvotes
GTA
Marzipan wrote: Generally, ... and I do mean generally ... I don't see how people phoning about a delayed item can be helpful. It just adds to costs and takes staff away from ... well ... delivering. In many cases, the delivery company does not know any more than we know from tracking. They certainly should not be dropping tools to hunt down a caller's package just to be able to tell them where it is.
It's not a small local company, It's a large company with a customer service department and part of their job is to answer calls. So calls don't take staff away from other jobs.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6058 posts
1047 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Marzipan wrote: Generally, ... and I do mean generally ... I don't see how people phoning about a delayed item can be helpful. It just adds to costs and takes staff away from ... well ... delivering. In many cases, the delivery company does not know any more than we know from tracking. They certainly should not be dropping tools to hunt down a caller's package just to be able to tell them where it is.
In addition to what tew said.

If UPS wasn't so disorganized, people wouldn't think about calling them about delayed items.
In my case:

Guaranteed delivery provided by Amazon was Wednesday, May 6.
When I checked the tracking on the UPS website on Monday it showed delivery will be Tuesday, May 5th - Great! I rearranged my schedule to make sure someone was here to receive the package since I'm sure a signature will be required.
Tuesday comes and goes - after promising me Tuesday delivery all day, in the evening delivery is promised for Wednesday, May 6
I again rearrange my plans to have someone to receive the package
Same thing, wait all day, no package
Then on Amazon the delivery changes to state: Now expected 7 May-8 May
On UPS I get: Update - Please check back later for scheduled delivery.
And then under detail what I posted in my first post.

What that tells me that UPS is in total disarray - one would think they would know by their workload how many days the delay is expected to be, but obviously not.
They just string the customers along - one day at the time.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2018
1143 posts
775 upvotes
krs wrote: Seems a package from Amazon shipped via UPS is somehow "stuck" in Ottawa.

My package from home Depot is stock in Ottawa as well and have messages like in you're tracking for few days
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3115 posts
1010 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
krs wrote: In addition to what tew said.

If UPS wasn't so disorganized, people wouldn't think about calling them about delayed items.
In my case:

Guaranteed delivery provided by Amazon was Wednesday, May 6.
When I checked the tracking on the UPS website on Monday it showed delivery will be Tuesday, May 5th - Great! I rearranged my schedule to make sure someone was here to receive the package since I'm sure a signature will be required.
Tuesday comes and goes - after promising me Tuesday delivery all day, in the evening delivery is promised for Wednesday, May 6
I again rearrange my plans to have someone to receive the package
Same thing, wait all day, no package
Then on Amazon the delivery changes to state: Now expected 7 May-8 May
On UPS I get: Update - Please check back later for scheduled delivery.
And then under detail what I posted in my first post.

What that tells me that UPS is in total disarray - one would think they would know by their workload how many days the delay is expected to be, but obviously not.
They just string the customers along - one day at the time.
I bet there are issues with all carriers at this time, indeed, there are issues in normal times. That's the nature of running a profit driven enterprise in a competitive environment.

My inclination, if I were a decision-maker in a delivery company, would be to throttle back tracking information available to the public. The way it is now, Joe Blow, who has no experience in the industry, sits in his room declaring he knows more about the business than the courier.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1291 posts
535 upvotes
tell amazon, and let them follow up with UPS.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41919 posts
6608 upvotes
Also raising an issue with UPS and perhaps Old Navy. I guess both parties are to blame. I see that my Old Navy order has finally shipped after a month of placing the order for THREE shirts.

They are shipping via UPS and it has reached the Concord destination yesterday. Now the rescheduled delivery (YES RESCHEDULED) is now on Monday. I hope it arrives on Monday. UPSET that it is not arriving today, after waiting for a month of delivery!
Proud to be an Indian.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)