Shopping Discussion

UPS Trying to rip off AGAIN

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2019 2:34 pm
Feb 18, 2012
972 posts
621 upvotes
Victoria
pafy6285 wrote: That's applicable to travelers, not packages that are mailed.
And it’s wrong!
Jun 28, 2014
550 posts
688 upvotes
Ajax, ON
pafy6285 wrote: Just quickly checking https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publication ... 4-eng.html, it seems OP is right with regards that the exemptions is 'per' gift item not exceeding $60 (guideline #4). Seems that is clear as per the guidelines.
I have had items shipped here from family numerous times but first I had contacted customs/immigration to find out all the info which is exactly what you have pointed out.
Last edited by Jazzee01 on Nov 3rd, 2019 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 28, 2014
550 posts
688 upvotes
Ajax, ON
pafy6285 wrote: That's applicable to travelers, not packages that are mailed.
I was responding to Horsey2345 about driving across the border, not mailing
Feb 18, 2012
972 posts
621 upvotes
Victoria
Jazzee01 wrote: I was responding to Horsey2345 about driving across the border, not mailing
You should probably call them back and get the correct information about driving across the border!
Jun 28, 2014
550 posts
688 upvotes
Ajax, ON
Horsey2345 wrote: You should probably call them back and get the correct information about driving across the border!
LOL
Feb 18, 2012
972 posts
621 upvotes
Victoria
Jazzee01 wrote: LOL
Ok, you just keep thinking that each you bring back has to be under $60 lol
Jun 28, 2014
550 posts
688 upvotes
Ajax, ON
Horsey2345 wrote: Ok, you just keep thinking that each you bring back has to be under $60 lol
After you stated "Try that reasoning the next time you drive over the border!"

The thread is about mailing via UPS from the UK not driving across the border.
Feb 18, 2012
972 posts
621 upvotes
Victoria
Jazzee01 wrote: After you stated "Try that reasoning the next time you drive over the border!"

The thread is about mailing via UPS from the UK not driving across the border.
Is that your way of admitting your wrong?
Oct 22, 2013
46 posts
2 upvotes
4. To be eligible for free importation, no gift can be more than CAN$60, regardless of the number of joint recipients (for example, a wedding gift for a couple). If more than one gift is shipped in a container, each gift valued at not more than CAN$60 can be free under tariff item No. 9816.00.00. Each gift in the container has to be clearly identified as one gift. This applies regardless of whether one or more donors or recipients are involved.
Seems you can have thousand dollar free import packages as long as all the items are gifts that are less than $60.
Last edited by Scy123 on Nov 3rd, 2019 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3116 posts
2251 upvotes
Canadia
Private courier companies will charge handling fees in addition to any tax or duty owed. Don't ship by UPS, FedEx or DHL unless you're in a wild rush.

Use Royal Mail/Canada Post. It will take longer, but their handling charge is only $10, and quite often they deliver packages without collecting any fees at all.
Oct 22, 2013
46 posts
2 upvotes
Yup, I purposely use Canada Post when ording something I can expect to have import fees. 9 years and have not had a single instance I had to pay extra. Don't remember importing anything over $500 though.
Feb 18, 2012
972 posts
621 upvotes
Victoria
retrothing wrote: Private courier companies will charge handling fees in addition to any tax or duty owed. Don't ship by UPS, FedEx or DHL unless you're in a wild rush.

Use Royal Mail/Canada Post. It will take longer, but their handling charge is only $10, and quite often they deliver packages without collecting any fees at all.
Canada Post has cracked down on charging tax and duty lately and you can’t self clear with them.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Jazzee01 wrote:
You have no clue! You can drive over the border with multiple items after being out of Canada over 48 hrs. Each item being under $60 up to a total value of $800. Try calling customs/immigration and asking, you will learn a few things. You can bring nothing if returning under 24hrs
Pot kettle black.
After 48 hours you can bring anything (be it 1 item at $800 or 800 items at $1) duty free be it gift or not as long as it's not for commercial purposes.
If you're gone for less than 24 hours you get $0 for a duty free allowance but you're free to bring anything back. You just have to pay taxes on it.
Scy123 wrote: Seems you can have thousand dollar free import packages as long as all the items are gifts that are less than $60.
I think I might have read the OP wrong where the items themselves are actually under $60 instead of just declaring them under $60.
But yes, if the items are actually valued under $60, there is no limit to the number in a package. Obviously this should be unique items under $60 because no one is going to give a 40 pack of let's say identical bluetooth speakers or something.
That would pretty obviously NOT be a gift.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Dec 24, 2011
749 posts
1607 upvotes
East, Canada
The Canterbury Tail wrote: UK postage is one of the cheapest in the world. I ship from the UK all the time, and the postal system is much cheaper than couriers. And you don't get dinged like you do using the random duty generator companies like UPS and FedEx. In fact in the UK you have to go really out of the way to even manage to find a courier for the average resident, it's not a very common way of shipping things in the UK.
You’re wrong. UK postal rates have skyrocketed in the past decade. There are separate cutoff points for weight which increase things dramatically - anything over 2kg for example. It used to be cheap. It’s not anymore.

Also there are tons of courier options in the UK. It’s hugely competitive compared to Canada or the US. If you return a purchase from a UK store such as Asos they give you a return label with about nine different prepaid return options. Companies like Hermes have changed the courier business in the UK and for shopping on sites like Amazon in most places they do same day delivery or even same morning or afternoon in majors cities like Glasgow, Birmingham and London.

Édit: but yes, it’s always best to use the Royal Mail to ship items to Canada to avoid surcharges. Duties will still apply if needed.
Amex Platinum, Amex Cobalt, Amex Bonvoy and Amex Bonvoy Business card holder
British Airways American Express (UK)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)