• Dec 20th, 2019 11:27 am
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 24, 2009
396 posts
47 upvotes
Ottawa

UPS unreliable

I ordered some work related stuff online some time ago and it was shipped with UPS. Few days ago, I checked the status on UPS website and it was scheduled to be delivered Tuesday (two days ago). As it requires signature, I had to work from home on that day even though I prefer not to (because management really dislike the idea and they discourage people from doing so). On the scheduled delivery date around noon, I noticed that the status changed to "delayed" and "will be rescheduled". The status was still the same Wednesday morning, so I decided to head to work, but I was occasionally checking the status. Around 3pm, I received a text message from UPS that says delivery attempt failed because no one at home. I was surprised because I was still waiting for a new delivery date and wasn't expecting it to be delivered. When I came back home, I found a delivery notice with checkmark on "we will try again on the next weekday". So I had no choice but to work from home again for that day. I waited the whole day, but UPS didn't show up. I called UPS around 7pm and the agent basically said it's not guaranteed. I understand it's holiday season and all, but they should at least update the status , so that we could make sure somebody at home. And if they are leaving a notice with "we will try again tomorrow" message, make sure to follow through. Otherwise, they are basically wasting customer's time. That just infuriates me.
20 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
1402 posts
952 upvotes
Brampton
Agreed my pckgs end up in my neighbors house all the time. Even after many complaints.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1615 posts
357 upvotes
Vancouver
It is their busiest time of year after all so it’s understandable to have delays. Just don’t worry too much about it and see if you can get shipping fee refunded if you paid.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12995 upvotes
My Lenovo Y540 was scheduled for tomorrow. Then Monday. Then tomorrow again.
It was delivered today.

I can't really complain since it was early.

What kind of surprised me is that it went from China to Anchorage to Louisville then to Buffalo then Ontario, then to Vancouver.
I always thought there was a route from Louisville to Vancouver. I was surprised it went to Ontario first.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15428 posts
12625 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
death_hawk wrote: My Lenovo Y540 was scheduled for tomorrow. Then Monday. Then tomorrow again.
It was delivered today.

I can't really complain since it was early.

What kind of surprised me is that it went from China to Anchorage to Louisville then to Buffalo then Ontario, then to Vancouver.
I always thought there was a route from Louisville to Vancouver. I was surprised it went to Ontario first.
Lots of companies use Buffalo / Niagara ... then a Mississauga location as their Point of Entry / Clearing House ... and redistribution centre for items inbound to Canada

Now that we have much more availability to pkg tracking as Customers, it fascinating to watch the routes items take to get to us ... often crisscrossing North America more than once, like yours did.

Would be so much simpler if not everything seemingly was routed for the GTA ... but had optional clearing spots in Montreal for eastbound destinations and Vancouver for westbound destinations.

The craziness is when a Parcel departs California bound for B.C., and has to go to NY City first, so as to make the “other” NY connection in Buffalo, to end up in Mississauga, before heading back west across Canada to Vancouver. Seems ridiculous an almost 10,000 Kms journey ... when SAN Francisco to Vancouver is about 1500 Kms apart as the crow flies.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1029 posts
586 upvotes
London, On
If they do actually fly a Louisville to Vancouver flight, then it would just be a matter of exceeding capacity of that flight and routing other stuff through Hamilton and flying it from there, where they have more capacity. Just a crap shoot of what goes whichever way.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1795 posts
513 upvotes
Toronto
UPS is awesome. The worst ones for missing delivery targets are Purolator and Canada Post, thought I've noticed that they have improved this year.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1615 posts
357 upvotes
Vancouver
dassub wrote: UPS is awesome. The worst ones for missing delivery targets are Purolator and Canada Post, thought I've noticed that they have improved this year.
At least Canada Post will always deliver to your house.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
21715 posts
24840 upvotes
Toronto
We use UPS almost daily for work. FedEx less so

UPS has been excellent for us. Trackable delivery. Very quick investigations if something goes missing.

We've never had a lost item or significant delay with them so far. Shipping from downtown Toronto.
"I felt a great disturbance at KFC as if millions of chickens suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." RFD user stephroll
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12995 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Lots of companies use Buffalo / Niagara ... then a Mississauga location as their Point of Entry / Clearing House ... and redistribution centre for items inbound to Canada
Out of the major couriers, UPS is the only one.
I get DHL, FedEx, and Canada Post and all of them follow a "normal" route, typically direct from China to Vancouver. Occasionally China to Seattle then to Vancouver.
I know UPS likes routing everything through Louisville and the stop in Anchorage means it's already in the US which means it's going to Louisville guaranteed.
Now that we have much more availability to pkg tracking as Customers, it fascinating to watch the routes items take to get to us ... often crisscrossing North America more than once, like yours did.
Not that I like it when packages get delayed, but it's neat seeing the route they take sometimes.
I also like "interesting" things like the UPS train derailment tracking page.
Would be so much simpler if not everything seemingly was routed for the GTA ... but had optional clearing spots in Montreal for eastbound destinations and Vancouver for westbound destinations.
Most places usually get 2: Vancouver and GTA.
The craziness is when a Parcel departs California bound for B.C., and has to go to NY City first, so as to make the “other” NY connection in Buffalo, to end up in Mississauga, before heading back west across Canada to Vancouver. Seems ridiculous an almost 10,000 Kms journey ... when SAN Francisco to Vancouver is about 1500 Kms apart as the crow flies.
What's neater is that due to efficiency and the flights going no matter what, a package taking an 8500km detour is still faster than some with more regional hub rather than one giant one.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9475 posts
1802 upvotes
Toronto
With high Christmas volumes I doubt every package gets scanned after it's initial entry point into the system.
Therefore updates would not be forthcoming.
Best thing I figure at this time of year is have them hold the package at the depot, or an access point, once you get a hold of them.
Early in the morning before the trucks head onto the road is probably the best time for this.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15428 posts
12625 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
death_hawk wrote: Out of the major couriers, UPS is the only one.
Not just Couriers, I was also referring to Companies that have both a USA & Cdn presence.
The likes of Bed, Bath & Beyond etc ... everything coming into Canada comes thru the Buffalo / Niagara Crossing heading to their distribution centres ... which often are in Mississauga ... convenient to the 401 for the Quebec / Windsor Corridor ... but also YYG for Points further afield ... or distribution by Couriers.

I think LL Bean is another one using a similar system, last Parcel I ordered from them wasn’t in stock in Canada, so i could Track it on my “alternate” USA Order that went thru their Cdn Distribution in the GTA ... before being couriered out to me.

I get DHL, FedEx, and Canada Post and all of them follow a "normal" route, typically direct from China to Vancouver. Occasionally China to Seattle then to Vancouver.
I know UPS likes routing everything through Louisville and the stop in Anchorage means it's already in the US which means it's going to Louisville guaranteed.

Not that I like it when packages get delayed, but it's neat seeing the route they take sometimes.
I also like "interesting" things like the UPS train derailment tracking page.

Most places usually get 2: Vancouver and GTA.

What's neater is that due to efficiency and the flights going no matter what, a package taking an 8500km detour is still faster than some with more regional hub rather than one giant one.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1615 posts
357 upvotes
Vancouver
sprung wrote: We use UPS almost daily for work. FedEx less so

UPS has been excellent for us. Trackable delivery. Very quick investigations if something goes missing.

We've never had a lost item or significant delay with them so far. Shipping from downtown Toronto.
Interesting. UPS is probably a different story over in toronto but out here in the west they are honestly a disaster outside of any urban areas since they sub most of it out to Purolator which is even worse. I've lost count how many of my shipments UPS has lost (mostly always documents) and this year on two separate occasions they lost a shipment both times going to the same business address..

For business use I have personally found FedEx to be the most reliable for delivery and being on time and I've never had a lost package with them. FedEx also has more feeders and has a much larger area of coverage
Feb 3, 2012
274 posts
147 upvotes
T.O.
EndrewSmith wrote: I ordered some work related stuff online some time ago and it was shipped with UPS. Few days ago, I checked the status on UPS website and it was scheduled to be delivered Tuesday (two days ago). As it requires signature, I had to work from home on that day even though I prefer not to (because management really dislike the idea and they discourage people from doing so). On the scheduled delivery date around noon, I noticed that the status changed to "delayed" and "will be rescheduled". The status was still the same Wednesday morning, so I decided to head to work, but I was occasionally checking the status. Around 3pm, I received a text message from UPS that says delivery attempt failed because no one at home. I was surprised because I was still waiting for a new delivery date and wasn't expecting it to be delivered. When I came back home, I found a delivery notice with checkmark on "we will try again on the next weekday". So I had no choice but to work from home again for that day. I waited the whole day, but UPS didn't show up. I called UPS around 7pm and the agent basically said it's not guaranteed. I understand it's holiday season and all, but they should at least update the status , so that we could make sure somebody at home. And if they are leaving a notice with "we will try again tomorrow" message, make sure to follow through. Otherwise, they are basically wasting customer's time. That just infuriates me.
My UPS delivery was always during working hours and if it required a signature it would ended up at the main sorting depot out in the west end of the city. I hated driving all the way out there so after a while I decided to leave a note on the door for the UPS delivery person to drop off the parcel at the nearby UPS Store for me to pick up.
[OP]
Nov 24, 2009
396 posts
47 upvotes
Ottawa
sprung wrote: We use UPS almost daily for work. FedEx less so

Trackable service is not limited to UPS. Majority of shipping companies have that. And what's the point of trackable when they don't even bother to update the status in timely manner?
gh05t wrote: With high Christmas volumes I doubt every package gets scanned after it's initial entry point into the system.
Therefore updates would not be forthcoming.
Best thing I figure at this time of year is have them hold the package at the depot, or an access point, once you get a hold of them.
Early in the morning before the trucks head onto the road is probably the best time for this.
I get that, and I'm not complaining about the delay. What I'm saying is, just keep customer in the loop instead of leaving them in the dark. They not only failed to update the status, they didn't follow through the notice. This morning, I received a call from UPS manager and I was told my package is out for delivery and I should expect it before 6pm. It's already 7 and I don't think that's going to happen. This will be second failure two days in a row, and will be my last time using their service.
sputnik99112 wrote:
My UPS delivery was always during working hours and if it required a signature it would ended up at the main sorting depot out in the west end of the city. I hated driving all the way out there so after a while I decided to leave a note on the door for the UPS delivery person to drop off the parcel at the nearby UPS Store for me to pick up.
I'm planning to go pick up tomorrow even though it's far out in the boonies. I'm tired of UPS wasting my time.
Nov 2, 2013
31 posts
13 upvotes
what do you guys think about the border /import charges between the three or ups/dhl/FedEx?

I am trying to remember which one has the most hidden importing fees.
Thanked 0 times for 0 posts
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
6993 posts
1732 upvotes
Toronto
EndrewSmith wrote: I ordered some work related stuff online some time ago and it was shipped with UPS. Few days ago, I checked the status on UPS website and it was scheduled to be delivered Tuesday (two days ago). As it requires signature, I had to work from home on that day even though I prefer not to (because management really dislike the idea and they discourage people from doing so). On the scheduled delivery date around noon, I noticed that the status changed to "delayed" and "will be rescheduled". The status was still the same Wednesday morning, so I decided to head to work, but I was occasionally checking the status. Around 3pm, I received a text message from UPS that says delivery attempt failed because no one at home. I was surprised because I was still waiting for a new delivery date and wasn't expecting it to be delivered. When I came back home, I found a delivery notice with checkmark on "we will try again on the next weekday". So I had no choice but to work from home again for that day. I waited the whole day, but UPS didn't show up. I called UPS around 7pm and the agent basically said it's not guaranteed. I understand it's holiday season and all, but they should at least update the status , so that we could make sure somebody at home. And if they are leaving a notice with "we will try again tomorrow" message, make sure to follow through. Otherwise, they are basically wasting customer's time. That just infuriates me.
Are you living in a house or condo? For me, I lived in a house, I post a notice on the door, "Dear UPS Courier, if no one answer the door, pls leave the package / parcel by the door." I got everything so far nothing is missing whether it is UPS, Fedex or Purolator. If it is Canada Post, I received a notice to pick It up on the nearest post office to my house.
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
12104 posts
140642 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

I don't know, almost every single UPS package I get is always covered in dirt and it's gross. I remember one time, the driver just simply toss my package from the truck to my porch and drove off. I avoid buying businesses using UPS...

Ju Leon...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12995 upvotes
capitalism wrote: what do you guys think about the border /import charges between the three or ups/dhl/FedEx?

I am trying to remember which one has the most hidden importing fees.
DHL wins easily. $6 more than Canada post, you can pay it online, and they actually deliver.
FedEx is complicated and hidden. Also expensive. Phone (or at delivery) only.
UPS is clearly listed and they also bend you over.

If I could pick, DHL every single time.

EDIT: That includes against Canada Post.
[OP]
Nov 24, 2009
396 posts
47 upvotes
Ottawa
cgtlky wrote: Are you living in a house or condo? For me, I lived in a house, I post a notice on the door, "Dear UPS Courier, if no one answer the door, pls leave the package / parcel by the door." I got everything so far nothing is missing whether it is UPS, Fedex or Purolator. If it is Canada Post, I received a notice to pick It up on the nearest post office to my house.
If it weren't worth much money, i would have done that. But that's not the case. So, I called UPS again later that night (Friday) to hold my package at the warehouse. UPS agent once again promised me that I could come pick it up on Tuesday. When I asked her if I could pick up the next day because saturday was listed as open on UPS website, she denied that being the case and insisted their website being wrong. All in all, you can't even really trust UPS website for simple information like operating hours. She even said Monday wasn't possible because my package was already in delivery process and it would take time to put it back in onhold. After multiple phone calls and several broken promises, UPS once again decided to break their promise. On Monday, they decided to deliver and left my package at the door. I was relief that my package wasn't stolen and it was finally arrive. But I'm surprise how UPS delivery person sign off the package when I didn't give such instruction. What if it got stolen? Who would be liable for that? The fact that I specifically told the agent to hold the package, I could prove that there's no way I would have given such instruction. Very incompetent