UPS wants me to pay brokerage fee AFTER I received my package

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2020 5:59 pm
[OP]
Sep 9, 2014
616 posts
486 upvotes
Montreal, QC
eclone wrote: EVGA has no idea what UPS' process is. UPS will always release the package and invoice you after. It's your duty to contact them you want to clear it yourself.

I'm sure you received a ship notification when the package was shipped. You knew it's a cross border shipment and should've contacted UPS on your intent right away.

Packages are only held if there's missing customs docs (ie commercial invoice). I can't even imagine the cost UPS would incur if they have to chase down every package where duty and taxes are marked for the Consignee
You make a valid point. But, what if I refuse package after seeing the outrageous brokerage fees and decide to return the sender?
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1800 posts
1018 upvotes
ericli007 wrote: You make a valid point. But, what if I refuse package after seeing the outrageous brokerage fees and decide to return the sender?
Unfortunately it would be too late for that.

You got very lucky to have a CSR waive those fees for you. We work with UPS preferred reps and even they require approvals for credit from their supers, which sometimes is a long drawn process.
[OP]
Sep 9, 2014
616 posts
486 upvotes
Montreal, QC
sponge5307 wrote: I have a could of things shipped by Febfix in March. Had to pay customs after I receive the package. Got a letter about it. But I totally forgot to pay (I see this thread). Nothing happened yet.
Cool, thanks for sharing your story. I didn't find any posts online about invoice AFTER receiving package, so I decided to start a thread on rfd.
May I know the total amount in CAD$ for your package and how much they were charging for customs? I'm sure UPS decided not to go after collecting agency because it may be too much hassle and not worthwhile. I'm sure they'll chase after you if you have a huge amount owing.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19556 posts
4164 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
ericli007 wrote: Cool, thanks for sharing your story. I didn't find any posts online about invoice AFTER receiving package, so I decided to start a thread on rfd.
Fedex does the same thing, where the deliver first and then mail you an invoice.
I went through this recently, but I was able to inform Fedex of the self-clearance after it cleared customs and before they delievered. And Fedex accepted my CBSA B15.

But they still sent me a bill in the mail... I had to contact the Fedex guy who processed my B15 to get this one cleared up and cancel that bill.

This process is getting more confusing now. I'll bet a lot of customers complained about "package ransom," so courier companies came up with an even more sneaky process of delivering first and mailing a bill later. Of course you don't always know in advance if they will do the package ransom, or mail your bill later. So it's hard to know whether you need to inform them before or after the delivery that you're self-clearning.
- Casual Gastronomist -
Dec 18, 2008
921 posts
61 upvotes
I seem to recall a letter from DHL like this a while back that I ignored. The package was delivered so it wasn't held ransom so I just ignored it. So far so good.

I just cleared a UPS shipment on Saturday, emailed the B15 to UPS on Monday and got the package Monday. Seemed quick for them to "process" by B15, so maybe they will send an invoice later. We'll see.
[OP]
Sep 9, 2014
616 posts
486 upvotes
Montreal, QC
hobbes778 wrote: I seem to recall a letter from DHL like this a while back that I ignored. The package was delivered so it wasn't held ransom so I just ignored it. So far so good.

I just cleared a UPS shipment on Saturday, emailed the B15 to UPS on Monday and got the package Monday. Seemed quick for them to "process" by B15, so maybe they will send an invoice later. We'll see.
That's for sharing. I guess you can decide to ignore invoice if you received the package already. Hmmmmmmmmm. I guess it's like playing with fire.
[OP]
Sep 9, 2014
616 posts
486 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Jucius Maximus wrote: Fedex does the same thing, where the deliver first and then mail you an invoice.
I went through this recently, but I was able to inform Fedex of the self-clearance after it cleared customs and before they delievered. And Fedex accepted my CBSA B15.

But they still sent me a bill in the mail... I had to contact the Fedex guy who processed my B15 to get this one cleared up and cancel that bill.

This process is getting more confusing now. I'll bet a lot of customers complained about "package ransom," so courier companies came up with an even more sneaky process of delivering first and mailing a bill later. Of course you don't always know in advance if they will do the package ransom, or mail your bill later. So it's hard to know whether you need to inform them before or after the delivery that you're self-clearning.
Thank you for sharing. I appreciate the feedback.

It seems like couriers are sending invoice after delivery hoping people won't contest the fee and simply pay the outrageous amount.
Apr 29, 2018
776 posts
423 upvotes
Fedex tried that with me for $20. Then they sent letters, even to collections. Just ignored.

Next time I got a package from Fedex, they emailed asking for authorization to clear customs. They also tacked on a bunch of fees on that invoice, which I had to call to get removed.
Oct 13, 2013
295 posts
151 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
I have the same situation. Just got the UPS bill in the mail today and due date is 2 days from now! Package is delivered a few weeks ago. The letter is really weird and doesn't point out a clear way to pay it! It does vaguely mention about a 5% late fee.

The whole thing is just weird, delivery guy didn't mention anything about the fee at time of delivery and no signature was required. Why are they asking you to pay their "brokerage" after the package is already delivered? What if I don't pay? Even if I don't want to pay I don't even know how to pay it. It is so weird. It just doesn't make sense. It should be notified to the receiver prior to delivery so the recevier can decide whether to accept it or not. I have rejected package due to this reason. Also, what if this bill gets lost in the mail and I never know about it?

What happened later when you guys simply ignored it? I am planning to ignore it. It is a small amount too only 14 dollars. $10 of which is their "brokerage" fee. Maybe they will just drop it and nothing will happen. Hopefully.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3108 posts
1811 upvotes
Legally you have the right to clear the item yourself. If you don't then you have to pay the fees.
Apr 29, 2018
776 posts
423 upvotes
cristianosham wrote: Legally you have the right to clear the item yourself. If you don't then you have to pay the fees.
Nope, how can a company charge a third-party without consent?
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1078 posts
827 upvotes
Calgary
The unethical pro life tip is to order stuff in a different/fake name, that way if they pass it on to collections if doesn’t matter Face With Tears Of Joy
[OP]
Sep 9, 2014
616 posts
486 upvotes
Montreal, QC
bowen1506 wrote: I have the same situation. Just got the UPS bill in the mail today and due date is 2 days from now! Package is delivered a few weeks ago. The letter is really weird and doesn't point out a clear way to pay it! It does vaguely mention about a 5% late fee.

The whole thing is just weird, delivery guy didn't mention anything about the fee at time of delivery and no signature was required. Why are they asking you to pay their "brokerage" after the package is already delivered? What if I don't pay? Even if I don't want to pay I don't even know how to pay it. It is so weird. It just doesn't make sense. It should be notified to the receiver prior to delivery so the recevier can decide whether to accept it or not. I have rejected package due to this reason. Also, what if this bill gets lost in the mail and I never know about it?

What happened later when you guys simply ignored it? I am planning to ignore it. It is a small amount too only 14 dollars. $10 of which is their "brokerage" fee. Maybe they will just drop it and nothing will happen. Hopefully.
The only way to pay is by phone. You give them your credit card information.
Personally, for $14 I can assure you UPS will not send your invoice to collection agency. Just the time itself is a pure waste of money for them. If I were you, I would simply ignore.

In my case, it was a bigger amount. Although some people in forums said I should pay, I'm not going to give in easily. Your argument were the same as mine (you dropped off the package and now you're sending invoice?).

If you want a peace of mind, just do what I did: Negotiate. Good luck!
[OP]
Sep 9, 2014
616 posts
486 upvotes
Montreal, QC
CanadianSpruce wrote: The unethical pro life tip is to order stuff in a different/fake name, that way if they pass it on to collections if doesn’t matter Face With Tears Of Joy
That's a good one! But the problem is that your billing information (name) has to match address (name). So it's quite hard to bypass this step when placing an order with your vendor/supplier.
[OP]
Sep 9, 2014
616 posts
486 upvotes
Montreal, QC
kramer1 wrote: Fedex tried that with me for $20. Then they sent letters, even to collections. Just ignored.

Next time I got a package from Fedex, they emailed asking for authorization to clear customs. They also tacked on a bunch of fees on that invoice, which I had to call to get removed.
Your story is incomplete.

1st package - you ignored all fees
2nd package - Fedex sent you invoice and you called to remove.... In the end, did you pay some fees? If so, which ones (do you remember?)

So in the end, for your second package, you could not simply just ignore them anymore since you were "blacklisted". Correct?