Computers & Electronics

Urgent - Need Help with i5 2500K System/Asus P8Z77 LV X

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2020 9:09 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42395 posts
6749 upvotes

Urgent - Need Help with i5 2500K System/Asus P8Z77 LV X

Help, PC not working. My custom RIG. Installed new 32GB DDR3 RAM that I just bought from Canada Computers and reinstalled my old GPU (560 Ti)

No display. I plugged in speakers, don't hear beeping sound. I plugged everything back in. Keyboard and mouse don't work either. Usually it should recognize and light up or something. Nothing.

Thoughts?

Usually if RAM or something is defective on the motherboard, it should beep no? Everything else works and there's a red solid light on motherboard. Not sure what this is. It has been a long time since I built this system back in 2011/2012. All I did was to use one of the Noctua NH D14 fan and remove it. Then I used that for a case fan. The large fan is still in the middle of the heat sink towers.

All connectors - SATA, fans, PSU were hooked back up. My GPU I don't think it has a slot for power unlike the older GPUs.

One thing to note is that I plugged my GPU into the Blue PCI-E 3.0 slot (blue). Before it was in the black slot for PCI -E 2.0. Could that be why? I don't think I need something else for my blue PCIE 3 slot to work.

Here's schematics of motherboard:

Image

Computer does not shut off. Usually when computer shuts off, it means the CPU/Motherboard can't detect the RAM? Correct:?
Blanka
57 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42395 posts
6749 upvotes
Putting in two of the RAM sticks is a tight fit due to the NOctua cooler. All RAM sticks are snapped in as I heard a click. Could it be defective RAM that canada computers sold me? Right now they're not taking refunds/returns/exchanges. No other location has this 32GB DDR3 RAM available. How can Canada Computers also test to see if the RAM is defective during COVID19?

Ugh COVID19 makes things difficult. Flips bird at Covid19
Blanka
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42395 posts
6749 upvotes
I am also not comfortable in removing the entire CPU Noctua cooler and the CPU itself to do various tests. I never built this PC, as I got it professionally done at the time. The red light on the motherboard is not flashing.

Okay I will take a video of the entire thing booting up.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3635 posts
1839 upvotes
Start simple by reversing out of the last change you made - if I understand correctly, you just swapped out the RAM so just put the old stuff back in to make sure you're only dealing with a RAM specific issue and not something else. Then, if the system behavior is back to normal check the manual for the mobo carefully. You may not have installed the RAM in a supported config. Some motherboards are very picky, not only wrt the RAM brand but whether it is single/dual/quad rank, timings, voltage, which slots are populated and even which ones are populated based on all the aforementioned.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3635 posts
1839 upvotes
txenglan wrote: Start simple by reversing out of the last change you made - if I understand correctly, you just swapped out the RAM so just put the old stuff back in to make sure you're only dealing with a RAM specific issue and not something else. Then, if the system behavior is back to normal check the manual for the mobo carefully. You may not have installed the RAM in a supported config. Some motherboards are very picky, not only wrt the RAM brand but whether it is single/dual/quad rank, timings, voltage, which slots are populated and even which ones are populated based on all the aforementioned.
Btw, some motherboards might beep with a RAM issue and some might not and even those that do might not always beep for all RAM issues.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42395 posts
6749 upvotes
Here’s the video of the red led solid.



I then pressed the MemOK button and the led started flashing slowly. Then the PC rebooted. Then it flashed quicker and it rebooted after some odd seconds. Then finally it rebooted one more time and the red led is gone. Did not reboot. I have to manually reboot it.

However still no display on monitor. Could it be that it’s trying to register again?

Here’s the video showing that no lights are displayed. Only one green. No red led.

Blanka
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42395 posts
6749 upvotes
txenglan wrote: Start simple by reversing out of the last change you made - if I understand correctly, you just swapped out the RAM so just put the old stuff back in to make sure you're only dealing with a RAM specific issue and not something else. Then, if the system behavior is back to normal check the manual for the mobo carefully. You may not have installed the RAM in a supported config. Some motherboards are very picky, not only wrt the RAM brand but whether it is single/dual/quad rank, timings, voltage, which slots are populated and even which ones are populated based on all the aforementioned.
How can I configure this properly without no bios or no display on monitor?
Blanka
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3635 posts
1839 upvotes
djemzine wrote: How can I configure this properly without no bios or no display on monitor?
Like I said, start by putting the old RAM back in then see if you can boot.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3635 posts
1839 upvotes
What is the exact model of the RAM you bought and which size DIMMs did you get? I'm looking at the manual for your motherboard right now.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42395 posts
6749 upvotes
txenglan wrote: Like I said, start by putting the old RAM back in then see if you can boot.
Got it. Then there should be a way to configure for it to allow 32GB?

Old ram was 16GB DDR3 1333mhz. 4x4GB kit. This is 32GB DDR3 1600mhz. 8x4Gb kit. Keep you posted.
Last edited by djemzine on Apr 15th, 2020 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blanka
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
17249 posts
3498 upvotes
Toronto
Remove all ram and power up to see what happens. I hope it beeps constantly. If it does, install a single sicko of ram and try.

Reset the BIOS? Try booting after removing all add in cards? Bios is up to date?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3635 posts
1839 upvotes
After you've confirmed you can still boot using the old RAM, take it all back out then only populate slot A2 with a single DIMM and see what happens. This is the recommended config for of you are only using a single DIMM. The next config is for two DIMMS at A2 and B2.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3635 posts
1839 upvotes
djemzine wrote: Got it. Then there should be a way to configure for it to allow 32GB?

Old ram was 16GB DDR3 1333mhz. 4x4GB kit. This is 32GB DDR3 1600mhz. 8x4Gb kit. Keep you posted.
As long as your RAM is compatible, you shouldn't need to configure anything UNLESS you changed timings and/or voltages in the bios previously. To be sure you didn't, you can boot using your old RAM then reset bios settings to safe settings before then putting the new RAM in.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3635 posts
1839 upvotes
Looking at the QVL for that motherboard, they didn't publish a verified 4x8gb config but that doesn't mean it won't work.

Also, take note of this. There's a button near where you see that led that's red. You can hold it down to have the board attempt to find a balance for the RAM that will allow it to work properly:

MemOK! switch
Installing DIMMs that are incompatible with the motherboard may cause system boot
failure, and the DRAM_LED near the MemOK! to switch lights continuously. Press
and hold the MemOK! switch until the DRAM_LED starts blinking to begin automatic
memory compatibility tuning for successful boot.
• Refer to section 2.2.7 Onboard LEDs for the exact location of the DRAM_LED.
• The DRAM_LED also lights when the DIMM is not properly installed. Turn off the
system and reinstall the DIMM before using the MemOK! function.
• The MemOK! switch does not function under Windows®
OS environment.
• During the tuning process, the system loads and tests failsafe memory settings. It
takes about 30 seconds for the system to test one set of failsafe settings. If the test
fails, the system reboots and test the next set of failsafe settings. The blinking speed
of the DRAM_LED increases, indicating different test processes.
• Due to memory tuning requirement, the system automatically reboots when each
timing set is tested. If the installed DIMMs still fail to boot after the whole tuning
process, the DRAM_LED lights continuously. Replace the DIMMs with ones
recommended in the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists) in this user manual or on
the ASUS website at www.asus.com.
• If you turn off the computer and replace DIMMs during the tuning process, the system
continues memory tuning after turning on the computer. To stop memory tuning, turn
off the computer and unplug the power cord for about 5–10 seconds.
• If your system fail to boot due to BIOS overclocking, press the MemOK! switch to boot
and load BIOS default settings. A message will appear during POST reminding you
that the BIOS has been restored to its default settings.
• We recommend that you download and update to the latest BIOS version from the
ASUS website at www.asus.com after using the MemOK! function.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 24, 2012
11543 posts
2542 upvotes
Montreal
The little red light in your first video is the "MemOK!" indicator. If it stays red, it means that the boot process is hanging when it tests the ram.

If your old ram still works, it's probably because the BIOS still forces the new ram to run at the old ram's specs.

To reset the BIOS, go to page 35 (of 144) of this PDF


Turn off the PSU, move the jumper into the "Clear RTC" position for 10 seconds, move it back to normal, then start the computer again.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42395 posts
6749 upvotes
txenglan wrote: Like I said, start by putting the old RAM back in then see if you can boot.
I stuck only 1 x 4GB old stick of RAM. This is DDR3 1333Mhz. See recent video uploaded.
txenglan wrote: What is the exact model of the RAM you bought and which size DIMMs did you get? I'm looking at the manual for your motherboard right now.
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=047564
audit13 wrote: Remove all ram and power up to see what happens. I hope it beeps constantly. If it does, install a single sicko of ram and try.

Reset the BIOS? Try booting after removing all add in cards? Bios is up to date?
See recent video uploaded. One stick of 4GB old RAM put back in. No display. No red LED on motherboard. As far as BIOS. I have the latest. I think it goes back far as 2015. Nothing newer than that. Did not reset BIOS nor CMOS yet.

txenglan wrote: After you've confirmed you can still boot using the old RAM, take it all back out then only populate slot A2 with a single DIMM and see what happens. This is the recommended config for of you are only using a single DIMM. The next config is for two DIMMS at A2 and B2.
Did not test back with all 4 RAM, but will re-try with single RAM in slot A2. Which slot is which? I.e. A2, B2, etc.?
txenglan wrote: Looking at the QVL for that motherboard, they didn't publish a verified 4x8gb config but that doesn't mean it won't work.

Also, take note of this. There's a button near where you see that led that's red. You can hold it down to have the board attempt to find a balance for the RAM that will allow it to work properly:

MemOK! switch
Installing DIMMs that are incompatible with the motherboard may cause system boot
failure, and the DRAM_LED near the MemOK! to switch lights continuously. Press
and hold the MemOK! switch until the DRAM_LED starts blinking to begin automatic
memory compatibility tuning for successful boot.
• Refer to section 2.2.7 Onboard LEDs for the exact location of the DRAM_LED.
• The DRAM_LED also lights when the DIMM is not properly installed. Turn off the
system and reinstall the DIMM before using the MemOK! function.
• The MemOK! switch does not function under Windows®
OS environment.
• During the tuning process, the system loads and tests failsafe memory settings. It
takes about 30 seconds for the system to test one set of failsafe settings. If the test
fails, the system reboots and test the next set of failsafe settings. The blinking speed
of the DRAM_LED increases, indicating different test processes.
• Due to memory tuning requirement, the system automatically reboots when each
timing set is tested. If the installed DIMMs still fail to boot after the whole tuning
process, the DRAM_LED lights continuously. Replace the DIMMs with ones
recommended in the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists) in this user manual or on
the ASUS website at www.asus.com.
• If you turn off the computer and replace DIMMs during the tuning process, the system
continues memory tuning after turning on the computer. To stop memory tuning, turn
off the computer and unplug the power cord for about 5–10 seconds.
• If your system fail to boot due to BIOS overclocking, press the MemOK! switch to boot
and load BIOS default settings. A message will appear during POST reminding you
that the BIOS has been restored to its default settings.
• We recommend that you download and update to the latest BIOS version from the
ASUS website at www.asus.com after using the MemOK! function.
All I did initially was to press and hold the MEMOkay button. The computer rebooted three times, and at which point the RED led started to blink slowly, then rapidly and until it went away. I will re-read this and follow the same steps.
alkizmo wrote: The little red light in your first video is the "MemOK!" indicator. If it stays red, it means that the boot process is hanging when it tests the ram.

If your old ram still works, it's probably because the BIOS still forces the new ram to run at the old ram's specs.

To reset the BIOS, go to page 35 (of 144) of this PDF


Turn off the PSU, move the jumper into the "Clear RTC" position for 10 seconds, move it back to normal, then start the computer again.
Okay will try this. Sorry, which is the jumper? The one from the PSU that is big? Or is it a switch?
Blanka
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3635 posts
1839 upvotes
djemzine wrote:
Looks to me like you have that one stick in B2 not A2. The slots as you move away from the cpu should be A1, A2 , B1 and B2. If using only one stick you should only be in A2 which is the second slot , moving away from the CPU.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 24, 2012
11543 posts
2542 upvotes
Montreal
djemzine wrote: Okay will try this. Sorry, which is the jumper? The one from the PSU that is big? Or is it a switch?
Look at the PDF I linked, page 35. It shows that the pin is located at the bottom middle-right side of the board.

It's a little plastic clip that slides on top of 2 metal pins. It is removed by pulling it up, don't lose it, it's very small :p
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42395 posts
6749 upvotes
So if the red LED goes away after using MEMOkay, what does that denote? The test didn't fail?
Blanka

Top