• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2018 10:25 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1684 posts
76 upvotes
Thanks. I should have mentioned that the primary use would be to avoid PayPal deposit fees from the US.
Aug 26, 2008
462 posts
40 upvotes
Vancouver
Kaz wrote:
Jun 18th, 2013 12:42 pm
I browsed this thread last night and just need clarification for my situation.
I need an account to have deposits made from th e US in order to minimize the deposit fees.
I bank with RBC and it seems their US Personal Account would work. Americans could deposit into the account with no fees, depending on payment method. I could then transfer the money into my regular RBC and pay 1 conversion charge.

My main goal is to minimize PayPal fees.

Is my understanding correct?

Thanks.
Might not need to go to the trouble of opening an RBC account on the other side of the border but a US account at your local RBC. Check this thread:
how-withdrawing-usd-paypal-account-avoi ... on-973455/
I buy: US Starter Shares with DRIPs
I sell: Bitcoin
Apr 3, 2007
511 posts
7 upvotes
Mississauga
Anyone able to get a Discover It Card being a Canadian (no SSN) but with a TDUS account?

This rewards card would really fit our purchases well.
Van G
Nov 23, 2010
486 posts
42 upvotes
Montreal
I just got off the phone with RBC US. I applied for the RBC US Visa Black Rewards Signature. I got ACCEPTED for a High Limit. The whole call took around 20 Minutes. You do NOT need an SSN. You SIN is Enough!

RBC's call centre for US and Canada is either in Montreal, PQ or in Moncton, NB. So you'll be talking to a Fellow Canadian who has full access to all your RBC accounts. And Best of all, you get an ANSWER on the Same Call.

It's unbelievable the Pain I went through with TDUS to open the Chequing account, to get the Visa Debit Card and to apply for the Visa Credit Card. Something is Profoundly Wrong at TD...

For those interested in reading about my Horrible Story with TD, start reading from this page: u-s-based-td-bank-account-now-available ... 257782/28/
Apr 7, 2004
279 posts
2 upvotes
When paying your RBC USA Visa do you have to transfer funds to your [CDN] US savings account before you transfer to your US Chequing account or can you transfer right from your CDN RBC chequing to your USA chequing account?
Nov 12, 2009
144 posts
1 upvote
Just opened US access account at RBC branch. Do you guys know how long it will take before I receive a debit card and all?

Are there any circumstances when RBC Georgia will reject to open an account for you?
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1937 posts
169 upvotes
North Vancouver
Can you deposit cash through US BOA ATM? any limit for it?

I was thinking to get BOA cheque account and TD US CC, then deposit cash through Blaine,WA US BOA ATM, then pay TD US CC through BOA online
DrAcX wrote:
Apr 27th, 2012 1:01 am
My Experience with BoA

I decided to give the BoA route a go, and here is a log in business days.

Day 1

I went down to Blaine to get things rolling for obtaining a checking account and CC. Wait was about 5 min for a bank associate to free up. Seems like I arrived at a good time, as just a few minutes after three more people showed up, all wanting to open accounts, and while I was talking with the associate, several more showed up. The application process was fairly straightforward and I went with the eBanking checking account and Cash Rewards CC. Just needed to answer some questions and the associate helped me fill in whatever was necessary as well as explain the terms and conditions and answer any questions I had. Note that the checking account can be opened with a [CA] address, but the CC required a [US] address. The associate also helped me setup online banking for my checking account (the paperless statements option required me to login myself later on as it cannot be done through the bank’s computers due to privacy reasons).

The whole process took about 20min and I walked away with a welcome package full of brochures and info for my new account as well as a temporary debit card. I was then helped by the branch manager who walked me through placing my initial deposit into the ATM.

When I got home, I logged into online banking to switch to paperless statements.

Finally, I also setup a transaction on XE trade to transfer funds from my [CA] chequing account to my new [US] checking account.

Day 4

Received confirmation that funds have been withdrawn from my [CA] chequing account.

Day 5

Received confirmation that funds have been deposited into my [US] checking account.

Day 8

Received a letter at my [US] address saying my CC application has been approved.

Day 10

Received my CC in the mail at my [US] address, which I immediately activated. I then went into my online banking to switch the CC to e-statements.

And there you have it. Within just 10 business days, I was able to apply for and setup a [US] checking account, [US] CC, online banking, and fund my accounts! I am especially impressed with the speed of the whole CC application and approval process. So far my experience with BoA has been great.
Aug 26, 2008
462 posts
40 upvotes
Vancouver
ecgz88 wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2013 11:34 pm
Can you deposit cash through US BOA ATM? any limit for it?

I was thinking to get BOA cheque account and TD US CC, then deposit cash through Blaine,WA US BOA ATM, then pay TD US CC through BOA online
No idea about ATM limits, but sounds like you're around Vancouver? Another option is Banner/Sterling Bank in Point Roberts, which can be slightly easier traffic-wise (unless you're closer to Blaine).
Nov 23, 2010
486 posts
42 upvotes
Montreal
ecgz88 wrote:
Jun 18th, 2013 2:38 am
Can you apply (US-based) RBC Credit Card only and pay cash in RBC Canada branch to pay off credit card bill?

how the RBC US do credit check? I check the application form and they need SSN

try to order through HP.COM, such a pain accept US issued credit card only ! :twisted:
Call RBC US CC line @ 1-800-769-2553 and ask about the payments methods.

You do not need an SSN. Your SIN will do, but they will still ask if you if have an SSN just in case.
Sep 10, 2002
296 posts
8 upvotes
Vancouver
Just curious if anyone was successful applying for a BofA CC online?
I opened a bank account with them several years ago and decided I would like to add a CC. Called up the branch where I opened the account and they said they don't take applications over the phone. Just trying to avoid going into a branch.
Aug 26, 2008
462 posts
40 upvotes
Vancouver
KillaB wrote:
Jun 25th, 2013 11:59 am
Just curious if anyone was successful applying for a BofA CC online?
I opened a bank account with them several years ago and decided I would like to add a CC. Called up the branch where I opened the account and they said they don't take applications over the phone. Just trying to avoid going into a branch.
I was told the same - ended up going into a branch to apply.
Aug 26, 2008
462 posts
40 upvotes
Vancouver
emiabe wrote:
May 27th, 2013 11:47 am
1. With TD, it looks like he has to open the US-based checking account first. He cannot get the credit card only. Am I right?
Nope - I was able to get the TD Cash Rewards VISA without a TD US-based account by completing and faxing in an application form. I had to call in and specifically ask where that form was on the website and state I was a Canadian though.
emiabe wrote:
2. With RBC, it looks like even worse. He has to open CAD accounts on top of that. Am I right?
I just got approved for the RBC card over the phone. One of the things they asked me was if I had a RBC-based US account. I said not yet. They asked are you sure you would want to get this card, because you can't pay it unless you have a true US bank account? I replied I had a BOA account already and would be able to pay off this card and this seemed to sway them.

I was then asked if I had an existing RBC Canada Client (Debit) Card, which I did, and had to give them the digits.

So in my experience it's either helpful/vital to:
a) tell them you have an existing US-based bank account
b) have an existing relationship with RBC Canada.
emiabe wrote:
3. In terms of setting up with TD, applicants have to phone, which he hates to do. How about RBC? (online application or branch in Canada application available?)
I had to phone to find the form for TD, but beyond that, only needed to fax the completed form in.

With RBC, you can call in, or go through your branch. Depending on your banker, they might say that an RBC US-based account is vital and may not apply for the card unless you also get the account.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1937 posts
169 upvotes
North Vancouver
I heard TD US card fax application take 1 month to recived, is that true?

Thinking of getting RBC Black Singature card, since it is Visa Sinagature card it come with some benefit, the only problem is I won't spend much and redeem RBC rewards seems like lots of hassle, not like TD straight cash back

BOA CC need address for US, I only have receiving company address for package only, so need have someone rent mailbox in US

mmadness wrote:
Jun 25th, 2013 12:31 pm
Nope - I was able to get the TD Cash Rewards VISA without a TD US-based account by completing and faxing in an application form. I had to call in and specifically ask where that form was on the website and state I was a Canadian though.

Aug 26, 2008
462 posts
40 upvotes
Vancouver
ecgz88 wrote:
Jun 25th, 2013 6:42 pm
I heard TD US card fax application take 1 month to recived, is that true?

Thinking of getting RBC Black Singature card, since it is Visa Sinagature card it come with some benefit, the only problem is I won't spend much and redeem RBC rewards seems like lots of hassle, not like TD straight cash back

BOA CC need address for US, I only have receiving company address for package only, so need have someone rent mailbox in US
TD US took about 2-3 weeks, can't remember exactly.

Just use a cross-border US address that receives packages. There are usually a few services just across the border that charge $3-6 per package. Usually for lettermail they charge the same rate. No need to rent a box once you switch to eStatements.
Nov 12, 2009
144 posts
1 upvote
Just got approved for an RBC US card.

Do you guys know how long it will take to receive the forms. I am supposed to sign and send them back and then receive the card? Did you guys have to go through this.?

More importantly they pulled my EQ. Do you guys know if they report to canadian credit agencies?

Thanks

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)