Investing

us companies to invest in for the next 10 - 15 years

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2020 11:25 pm
[OP]
Member
May 4, 2020
301 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto, On

us companies to invest in for the next 10 - 15 years

Hi
Which companies you would invest in for the next 10-15 years. Companies which are stable, secured, have growth potential, good management, worry free etc. I know there is no guarantee and things can be changed but for some good companies they would be able to survive crisis etc. I would consider Canadian companies as well provided that they have good growth potential. Thank you very much.
Last edited by lwlwlwlw on Dec 14th, 2020 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
18 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 16, 2015
3271 posts
2927 upvotes
Toronto
1015 years? Probably Skynet
To the moon
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 1, 2013
6198 posts
762 upvotes
lwlwlwlw wrote: Hi
Which companies you would invest in for the next 10-15 years. Companies which are stable, secured, have growth potential, good management, worry free etc. I know there is no guarantee and things can be changed but for some good companies they would be able to survive crisis etc. I would consider Canadian companies as well provided that they have good growth potential. Thank you very much.
I think you have answered your own question. For any individual company, there are indeed no guarantees about future performance for the next 10 to 15 year, and there is no consistent and reliable way to tell the "good companies" from the bad ones.

Invest in a low fee ETF.
[OP]
Member
May 4, 2020
301 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto, On
CheapScotch wrote: I think you have answered your own question. For any individual company, there are indeed no guarantees about future performance for the next 10 to 15 year, and there is no consistent and reliable way to tell the "good companies" from the bad ones.

Invest in a low fee ETF.
Thanks for your reply. I will do more search about ETF. I would appreciate if you can give me an example. Thanks again,
Sr. Member
May 28, 2012
522 posts
487 upvotes
ONT
It's probably easier to forecast the weather than the best companies many years from now. 40 years ago, from the Dow 30, I might have suggested GE, GM, Goodyear, Kodak and Sears.

Today, none of these is in the Dow 30.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2007
10654 posts
8651 upvotes
Winnipeg
invest in me.. I'll make you money..
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Member
Jan 4, 2017
366 posts
276 upvotes
Please, please do not go buying stocks that some random people on internet forums told you about. Seriously. You will NOT regret taking the time to inform yourself (at least a little bit) instead.

If your goal is to invest, and not to gamble, then you need to learn a specific, legitimate investing strategy, and execute it properly. You can do this by picking individual companies, but most people are not willing to commit the level of effort required to actually do it properly. If that does interest you, go check Rodbarc's thread and see whether you think being consistent with something like that for decades sounds likely for you. If not, you're likelier to under perform the market (or worse), in which case you're better off doing something more like the Canadian Couch Potato. In that case, see Germack's thread.

You will find that opinions on these things are highly polarized here. There's a lot of great info on both sides of the debate though.
[OP]
Member
May 4, 2020
301 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto, On
zcypher wrote: Please, please do not go buying stocks that some random people on internet forums told you about. Seriously. You will NOT regret taking the time to inform yourself (at least a little bit) instead.

If your goal is to invest, and not to gamble, then you need to learn a specific, legitimate investing strategy, and execute it properly. You can do this by picking individual companies, but most people are not willing to commit the level of effort required to actually do it properly. If that does interest you, go check Rodbarc's thread and see whether you think being consistent with something like that for decades sounds likely for you. If not, you're likelier to under perform the market (or worse), in which case you're better off doing something more like the Canadian Couch Potato. In that case, see Germack's thread.

You will find that opinions on these things are highly polarized here. There's a lot of great info on both sides of the debate though.
Thank you very much for your reply and help. Yes I want to invest not to gamble and I am willing to wait 10 - 15 years on my investment if the companies are doing good. I am willing to learn and doing myself by picking individuals companies. I know I need to read/researcher more etc but this is an excellent starting here in this form. Thank you so much again
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 5, 2008
1677 posts
1464 upvotes
Picking individual companies that are stable does require a reasonable portfolio size to begin so that you can be diversified. For smaller ports start with ETF's and learn and nibble some stocks. Odd lots aren't a big deal anymore but you still don't want to be buying 1 share of AMZN, 5 MSFT, 6 HD, 10 WMT, etc. If you work in a certain field look into those companies to start as you'll have a better understanding of their business.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12334 posts
11164 upvotes
you cant guarantee anything.

but the usual companies like proctor and gamble, coca cola, pepsi, johnson and johnson, brown foreman, etc.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2017
2451 posts
3330 upvotes
I'd probably just buy tse:vfv as I see it as hard to beat the us index. If your still looking to pick individual stocks then Amzn...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
6088 posts
813 upvotes
Toronto
Lot of big $ are betting we are going to have another correction between now and March - so don't go all in
GTA Housing: Supply is the only Metrics that Matters
Active Listings has been the limiting factor for past 10 years.... and will be for next 10
Hence I pull exclusive data from MLS and update GTA HOUSING SUPPLY - Daily!
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2425 posts
575 upvotes
Toronto
US stocks are so expensive now. The pickings on reasonably priced stocks are really slim. Hoping for a pullback some time to be able to buy at reasonable valuations.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12334 posts
11164 upvotes
PrinceMS wrote: Lot of big $ are betting we are going to have another correction between now and March - so don't go all in
yep..if people think we will shake off all the issues of whats happening just because of a vaccine got another thing coming...clearly the market is living on govt stim...if the govt doesnt give (i do think they will somehow get some deal done but it wont be what the market hopes) this market is TANKED

Which shows you this market is only going up by govt support...it has no support otherwise...its a fake rally as i call it
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
6088 posts
813 upvotes
Toronto
porticoman2 wrote:
their market listed ETF looks promising, especially the holdings

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/ARKK?p= ... c=fin-srch
I recently found Auntie Cathy (she is much older and wiser than me lol). But she is posed for good time. In bad times, people goto value stock - like coca cola (and enbridge?). Possibly AMZN? So I just dont know if its good to hold it now when future is just so unknown (to me - inflation? deflation? stagnation? boom? bust? crash..... No idea). Can you enlighten?
Sanyo wrote: yep..if people think we will shake off all the issues of whats happening just because of a vaccine got another thing coming...clearly the market is living on govt stim...if the govt doesnt give (i do think they will somehow get some deal done but it wont be what the market hopes) this market is TANKED

Which shows you this market is only going up by govt support...it has no support otherwise...its a fake rally as i call it
I had that view, 3 months ago. I have learned, "stonks market" is not a representation of economy. At most simplest (hence inaccurate) terms: Its the future prospects.
- Tech has carried the rally so far
- Now value stocks are carrying it some

Nothing lasts forever. Continue Tech boom (if it continues) will not be as great as we had it - guaranteed.
Travel / Oil stocks for sure will rally a bit (since everone cooped inside and want to get out).

Other than that - I can't tell you what will happen. Don't bet on complete wipeout, you don't go against the governments.
GTA Housing: Supply is the only Metrics that Matters
Active Listings has been the limiting factor for past 10 years.... and will be for next 10
Hence I pull exclusive data from MLS and update GTA HOUSING SUPPLY - Daily!

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)