Shopping Discussion

US Costco require customers to wear face masks (Ontario and Quebec only-mandatory as of July 17)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2020 2:14 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9299 posts
10313 upvotes
Costco had a major COVID-19 outbreak in my hometown and covered it up, forcing employees who awaited test results to go back to work, who ended up spreading it to others. It was leaked to the media but to this day they refuse to acknowledge it.

My opinion of them is at an all time low.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2005
1474 posts
477 upvotes
Toronto
Bebo123 wrote: What?!?
Can you please ask your source how on earth are people going to eat Costco samples while wearing a mask? Was not well thought out by Costco. Neutral Face
They aren't offering samples as far as I know. They will also be providing masks apparently.
Feb 4, 2009
293 posts
203 upvotes
Whitby
When I was at Oshawa Costco this afternoon, they were announcing in the line that starting next week they will be requiring people to wear a face covering (mask, scarf, basically anything covering your mouth and nose)
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2007
1249 posts
349 upvotes
CanAm wrote: Seems kinda late for all that now
Yes about 3 months late. Many of the mask wearing Asian countries have flatten the curve and are slowly reopening now. Face covering works.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2007
1249 posts
349 upvotes
Bebo123 wrote: What?!?
Can you please ask your source how on earth are people going to eat Costco samples while wearing a mask? Was not well thought out by Costco. Neutral Face
We are in a serious global pandemic. Costco samples are not really a priority over public health.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
8085 posts
3868 upvotes
startoss wrote: Yes about 3 months late. Many of the mask wearing Asian countries have flatten the curve and are slowly reopening now. Face covering works.
Correlation does not equal causation. Also, our measures have flattened the curve as well.
Dec 25, 2010
1 posts
1 upvote
Do not agree with the new policy. I have my rights as an individual.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8251 posts
5752 upvotes
It's not too late for masks, why would you think that?
Sep 17, 2010
1 posts
1 upvote
NB
Very impressed with Costco and their Covid response. They were sanitizing carts weeks ago. We went yesterday after pausing a few weeks. We wire our masks and were impressed that all staff were eating masks. It is great that businesses are training people and setting a good example as not everyone follows the news or gets how dangerous and easily spread kovid 19 is.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1942 posts
1109 upvotes
pumpkinpies wrote: can you explain how a mask protects the non wearer while it doesnt protect the wearer ?
Because it mostly prevents your spittle, particularly the larger droplets, from going all over the place when you cough or breathe. They get mostly contained by the mask. So it reduces the amount that you end up coughing or breathing onto surfaces everywhere you go.

It does less good of a job of preventing you from breathing in the tiny droplets suspended in the air by someone else. Some protection, but not as much.

So when you wear a mask, it mostly protects me from being exposed to whatever you're exhaling. And when I wear a mask, it protects you. So if we all wear them, we're all protected -- not 100%, because the tiniest droplets still make it through the material -- but much more than if we all didn't wear any.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2009
3746 posts
1003 upvotes
Toronto
GreyingJay wrote: Because it mostly prevents your spittle, particularly the larger droplets, from going all over the place when you cough or breathe. They get mostly contained by the mask. So it reduces the amount that you end up coughing or breathing onto surfaces everywhere you go.

It does less good of a job of preventing you from breathing in the tiny droplets suspended in the air by someone else. Some protection, but not as much.

So when you wear a mask, it mostly protects me from being exposed to whatever you're exhaling. And when I wear a mask, it protects you. So if we all wear them, we're all protected -- not 100%, because the tiniest droplets still make it through the material -- but much more than if we all didn't wear any.
so they stop you from spreading the large droplets but not the small ones and they prevent me from breathing in large droplets but not the small ones - seems they are equally effective for both the wearer and non-wearer !!
Jun 3, 2011
108 posts
50 upvotes
Whitby
This is total BS.. the govt is eating this up.. another way to control the masses..
If to only have ur mouth and nose covered.. then having one of those belly dancer face covers should do the trick or any haloween mask..
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7843 posts
9202 upvotes
Vancouver
wandajr wrote: Do not agree with the new policy. I have my rights as an individual.
Thankfully, Costco also has the right to refuse service.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Great, was annoyed by shoppers ignoring distance. One time my heart went out to a frail senior patiently sitting on her walker in a quiet aisle while her family member shopped, assuming she couldn’t be left alone outside the store or home for whatever reason. 2 Ontario locations with positive employees, about time they got some additional protection against the public. Reddit posted some CDN locations already:

Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2007
1249 posts
349 upvotes
It just baffles me that people are still against wearing a face covering during this pandemic. This thing will be over way sooner if everyone do it. After that we can get on with our normal lives sooner.

Saw this on reddit

Person pee on me, I get wet with pee on me
If I wear pants, my pants get wet but I get less pee on me
If the peeing person wear pants, the pee stay on the person's pants. I get no pee on my pants.
Oct 6, 2006
115 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
When was the last time you were at Costco??? There hasn’t been samples for a long time.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19237 posts
17863 upvotes
GTA, ON
wandajr wrote: Do not agree with the new policy. I have my rights as an individual.
You have your rights as an individual, but what about the rights of society? Regardless though, Costco is a membership club and you agree to their terms when you become a member. So you can either wear a mask or give up your membership.

Wearing a surgical type mask isn't too bad. Try to breathe through your nose and keep talking to a minimum.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)