Shopping Discussion

US Costco require customers to wear face masks (Ontario and Quebec only-mandatory as of July 17)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2020 2:14 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
mabba18 wrote: Costco Canada has now fixed the heading on their Corona virus page to make it clear that masks are a Recommendation not a Requirement.
Stores at my location are handing out masks for those that aren't wearing one, but they're not enforcing it.
I witnessed many shoppers (SJW types) flat out refuse it and one even made a big scene on how it's some sort of a doctor conspiracy.
May 26, 2020
69 posts
36 upvotes
Does anyone have any comfortable mask recommendations? (not talking heavy duty masks)
Apr 29, 2020
19 posts
36 upvotes
I was in the Oshawa Costco this morn. They were handing out face masks if you wished to wear one. I asked the lady about them being mandatory and she told me that they are following the provinces direction so they are only suggesting not demanding that you wear one.
Banned
May 20, 2020
464 posts
310 upvotes
City of Toronto
BeachWalkerSWFL wrote: I was in the Oshawa Costco this morn. They were handing out face masks if you wished to wear one. I asked the lady about them being mandatory and she told me that they are following the provinces direction so they are only suggesting not demanding that you wear one.
Costco can still make wearing masks mandatory according to Doug Ford.

Ontario won't make it mandatory for people to wear face masks in indoor establishments
Ford said that while he believes that requiring customers to wear face masks as part of a safety policy is a good idea, that decision should ultimately be up to retailers.
“We want to work with the retailers. We don’t want to force anyone to do anything,” he told reporters.
Apr 29, 2020
19 posts
36 upvotes
9thGenCivicSi wrote: Costco can still make wearing masks mandatory according to Doug Ford.

Ontario won't make it mandatory for people to wear face masks in indoor establishments
Neither Costco nor any other business need Doug Ford's permission to impose any restrictions on what they choose to decide what is required of the public to enter their private business, regardless of COVID. I just posted what their current policy is and what they expect it to be for the near future. All that you did was repeat what I posted in different words.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
BeachWalkerSWFL wrote: Neither Costco nor any other business need Doug Ford's permission to impose any restrictions on what they choose to decide what is required of the public to enter their private business, regardless of COVID. I just posted what their current policy is and what they expect it to be for the near future. All that you did was repeat what I posted in different words.
Seems like you guys are both just repeating each other in different words. Point is moot anyway as no retailer that I know of (or care to go to) is stupid enough to try to make such a policy [here], so doesn't matter what they can/can't make mandatory or who needs whose permission; none of them are doing it, not the stores and not the province.

In US they have other problems like much higher rates of contagion, far more cases, way more population, etc. Masks are still nonsense but they make people feel warm and fuzzy inside and drive the economy through more mask sales lol. Anywayyyy....
NorthYorkEd wrote: distancing > masks
/thread
Apr 29, 2020
19 posts
36 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Seems like you guys are both just repeating each other in different words. Point is moot anyway as no retailer that I know of (or care to go to) is stupid enough to try to make such a policy [here], so doesn't matter what they can/can't make mandatory or who needs whose permission; none of them are doing it, not the stores and not the province.

In US they have other problems like much higher rates of contagion, far more cases, way more population, etc. Masks are still nonsense but they make people feel warm and fuzzy inside and drive the economy through more mask sales lol. Anywayyyy....

/thread
First of all, I haven't repeated anybody. I posted the original post on what the Oshawa Costco is doing based on what I experienced today.

And regarding your comment about nobody making mask wearing mandatory in this part of the world, the TTC is making masks mandatory so there goes your theory. And regardless of whether or not any business would want to make them or any other condition mandatory, my comment that they don't need the govt permission to do so is still true.

And once you convince all the doctors and nurses to stop wearing their masks in the hospitals during surgery and other procedures I'll then accept your theory that they are nonsense, that all they do is make people feel warm & fuzzy inside.
Apr 29, 2020
19 posts
36 upvotes
Durham Region has just announced that masks will be mandatory at all inside public spaces beginning this Friday.
Deal Guru
Sep 19, 2006
11664 posts
6565 upvotes
Toronto
Effective Saturday, July 18, 2020

Ontario and Quebec only:

All members, guests and employees must wear face coverings. Members without face coverings will not be permitted inside the warehouse. This does not apply to children under the age of 2 in Ontario, and children under the age of 12 in Quebec, or to individuals who are unable to wear a mask or face covering due to a medical condition.

https://www.costco.ca/coronavirus-response.html
Last edited by Pochacco on Jul 15th, 2020 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7847 posts
9210 upvotes
Vancouver
Pochacco wrote: Effective Saturday, July 18, 2020

Ontario and Quebec only:

All members, guests and employees must wear face coverings. Members without face coverings will not be permitted inside the warehouse. This does not apply to children under the age of 2 in Ontario, and children under the age of 12 in Quebec, or to individuals who are unable to wear a mask or face covering due to a medical condition.

https://www.costco.ca/coronavirus-response.html
Makes sense, epicenter province customers should be made to wear masks, especially now that Costco is swimming in mask inventory with enough for each member.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2015
7296 posts
71700 upvotes
Meant to update this on Friday. Now mandatory for Ontario and Quebec only.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19240 posts
17869 upvotes
GTA, ON
hill15 wrote: Meant to update this on Friday. Now mandatory for Ontario and Quebec only.
As it should be.

Most municipalities in the urban areas (where most of their locations are) have instituted mandatory indoor masks, so the company might as well making it across the board mandatory for all their warehouses. The USA division pretty much did this as well.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Langley has 2 lines now. Those with masks and another for no masks. They're still handing them out for free.
JACKIE26 wrote: So whether or not you 'believe' masks are effective just put them or any other face covering on, for the employees to give them some piece of mind.

If that doesn't convince you maybe the prospect of being denied service will.
Don't get me wrong. I support your argument.
But good luck convincing someone that already treated retail/service staff like they're beneath them to give any sort of respect.
Spineless management doesn't help either.

tew wrote: It's just common sense. The father away you are from someone who is sick the less likely you are to catch what they have. It doesn't mean you won't get sick but it's a lot less likely to happen.

I'd rather be 6ft away, but lets face it, we're "not in a pandemic" any more based on how close people are standing to me. I should develop a cough.

But I'm sure it's just warm and fuzzy.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2004
2171 posts
1017 upvotes
Toronto
Glad to hear and I hope the employees enforce them at the entrance. Last time I went to Costco Oshawa & Ajax, it was a free-for-all - like COVID never happened. Hardly anyone was wearing a mask nor following any social distancing measures nor any line-ups required to get inside the store. The employee at the entrance said out loud, "if you don't want to wear a mask, just walk in...there are no line-ups". When it's time to pay, "just pick a line, you don't need to social distance".

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)