• Dec 2nd, 2009 10:39 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 31, 2008
451 posts
59 upvotes

US purchases with CDN credit card a nogo

How do you buy from the US, Canadian credit card, US shipping address?

Tried to use my Amex, Visa, and MasterCard to purchase from an online US store, my Canadian billing address, and a ship-to-address in New York. But shipping address doesn't match billing address so order is refused.

Spoke to MasterCard and they said they can add my US shipping address to my bank card FOR ONE DAY ONLY and even then they couldn't be sure where my statement would get mailed???? A few days ago I requested a MasterCard in US funds, but they now say I can't have a US billing address with that card either.

How are people getting around this? Do other cards work? Do I need to drive to US and open a bank account? Do just some web sites use this address verification scheme?

(The store is willing to accept the card/order if I ship to Canada, but with the outrageous shipping/brokerage fees. Another solution suggested was setting up a three way conference call with the credit card agency. The merchant said it could take time, but they just put their phone on hold and wait for the bank :| )
11 replies
Aug 1, 2005
792 posts
64 upvotes
Many etailers have a bill to/ship to option for sending gifts to people.

If the website doesn't have a specific field for entering that, call them and ask. It isn't an unusual request, especially just before Christmas.
[OP]
May 31, 2008
451 posts
59 upvotes
HoleyMoley wrote: Many etailers have a bill to/ship to option for sending gifts to people.
Yes, but ... this retailer will ship to a different address IF AND ONLY IF (iff) you have done business with them before. This would not be the general case for my shopping.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
As you have discoved, some retailer will only ship to the billing address (reduces fraud).

In addition, some retailers either won't or aren't permitted to charge anything but US issued credit cards so it wouldn't matter if your CDN card had both a US billing and shipping address; it still wouldn't work.

The optimum solution is to get a US credit card. As discussed previously on RFD (do a search), Target and Bank of America are (or at least used to be) the place to go to get your US credit card. Note that this means you will have to have US shipping / mailing address. You will also have to make a trip stateside to set it up.

unless ... TD Bank apparently also used to have US based credit card as well. Another RFD search.
Jun 5, 2007
973 posts
205 upvotes
York
I bough a camera from BuyDig on Monday.
Here is what I did:
Canadian Paypal nogo
Canadian Visa with Canadian Addy nogo
So, I called RBC Visa and they added a US address as an "alternate address" to my CC.

My purchase with BuyDig went through without a hitch and was delivered by Fedex this morning in MI

-bMK
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2003
1991 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
I have a US dollar account with TD, could TD issue me an US dollar Credit Card? or secured card against my US dollar account?

If I have an US dollar Credit Card issued by a Canadian bank, could this solve the US shopping problem?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
elmst200 wrote: I have a US dollar account with TD, could TD issue me an US dollar Credit Card? or secured card against my US dollar account?

If I have an US dollar Credit Card issued by a Canadian bank, could this solve the US shopping problem?
It might ... you won't know until you try

Some retailers just won't ship out of the country so you need a US shipping address

I've run into a number of US retailers that won't ship to anything but the billing address and sometimes that billing address has to be in the US.

and twice in the last 5 years, I've run into a retailer who won't/can't charge anything but a US issued card.

You won't know until you try.
[OP]
May 31, 2008
451 posts
59 upvotes
elmst200 wrote: I have a US dollar account with TD, could TD issue me an US dollar Credit Card? or secured card against my US dollar account?

Maybe with TD, but a few days ago I requested a MasterCard in US funds, but they now say I can't have a US billing address with that card either.
[OP]
May 31, 2008
451 posts
59 upvotes
bilingualmk wrote: So, I called RBC Visa and they added a US address as an "alternate address" to my CC.
MasterCard Bank of Montreal would only change/add an address for one day. Will the RBC Visa address be added permanently? If so sounds like the way to go. Does anybody know if TD Visa is the same? (since I've already got one.)

Before someone say's "just call them", I've already found that local branches don't know much about cards, phoning MasterCard I'm put on hold while somebody gets a senior manager, etc. etc. Better if somebody just says "yeah, it can be done, I've done it and it works".
[OP]
May 31, 2008
451 posts
59 upvotes
wildpack wrote: Before someone say's "just call them".
They'd be right. TD won't answer questions about Visa alternate addresses over the internet - must call them on the phone. Might as well wait til Monday....

Monday update: Yes! TD Visa can add an alternate American address. The address is stored in a separate box that can be accessed manually. Transactions still not accepted online. Called store on the phone and they took order, American shipping address and Visa number and Canadian billing address. They are in the process of calling TD VISA (I gave then contact number on the back of my credit card). Store commented that they wished MasterCard would fix their computer system.

TD said an American funds credit card from Visa would work same way except that there would be no currency exchange charges.

Tuesday update: The TD Visa card worked!! One item shipped!

Another store accepted the credit card but phoned my to ask about the weird shipping address. I confirmed that it was a parcel receiving service and the "funny" number was my service registration number. They were fine with that.

While purchasing from another store, the Firefox browser said that the digicert certification was invalid and the store could be a scam. Internet Explorer was fine with the site. A little research showed that Firefox had problems with certificate processing. The store web masters blame the browser company, the browser blames the web master for not installing software correctly, and if that all fails, they blame the buyer saying that their firewalls aren't configured properly.
[OP]
May 31, 2008
451 posts
59 upvotes
Credit card processing (or lack of) appears to be a dirty little secret with the banks. The processing is poor and most stores choose to ignore a lot of the Address Verification System (AVS).

American Express doesn't even bother and prints the same verification code on everybody's card. :razz:

Amazon appears to accept just about any card. Sears.com won't take an order unless your shipping address conforms perfectly to known standards, i.e. no #'s, and then you can't even enter a Canadian billing address, etc. etc.
Guess which company is doing well? :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8433 posts
1222 upvotes
I usually type in my CDN billing address and change fields to match my US shipping address until the system lets me through.

So if only the ZIP code gives me an error, I change that. Usually a combination of the CDN/US address will get my order through.

Then in the comments field, I leave a msg for them to call me if there are any issues.

I've made purchases from various stores where this has worked, but obviously it doesn't always work.