Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 13, 2016
505 posts
632 upvotes

US roaming plan

Hi all,

I'm traveling to Texas In the next two weeks and staying for a week. Was wondering what is my best option in terms of having Mobile service, should I get a t-mobile Sim card or should I use a fido data travel pack? Or what other options do I have?
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
6159 posts
2113 upvotes
Montreal
Depends on what services you need and whether or not your phone is unlocked. There are tons of threads on this topic in this forum with lots of great advice.
[OP]
Feb 13, 2016
505 posts
632 upvotes
I just need data, and my phone is unlocked.
Jan 19, 2006
495 posts
298 upvotes
BC
Simple Mobile prepaid $40 on eBay

I have bought these preloaded SIMs for $3 to $8USD. The plan is Simple Mobiles's $40 one month plan - unlimited calling/text including calls to other countries (have to dial an access number first) AND 4GB LTE data.

You must activate this SIM through your Ebay vendor and not directly with Simple Mobile. This activation can be a pain as the activation centre is open only M-F 9-5, Sat 9-1. Activation can take take up to 24hrs, but my experience was only 1-3 hrs. Be sure to advise what SIM size you need when you order.

"Congratulations!! Your sim is active with Simple Mobile now. phone number only sent via text message to your phone. Please insert the sim into your phone.

Please allow 2 to 24 business hours for sim activate. To check your phone number manually you can also press #686# from your phone, then press the call/send button.

You selected the Unlimited $ 40 monthly Plan which includes: Unlimited Phone Calls (Local & Long Distance); Unlimited Texting (Domestic and International); Unlimited Internet with first 4GB at LTE Speeds*; Voicemail Caller ID Call Waiting; Direct Dial 411 Info; International Long Distance Options. Simple Mobile Customer Service #: 1-877-878-7908"

I usually order these about ten days ahead of time to a pickup point such as my hotel so they will be on arrival.

Simple uses T-Mobile network which is meh for data (Edge) outside urban centres.

Have never tried Roam...