• Jul 6th, 2020 7:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
14460 posts
3565 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

US Small Caps and Penny Stocks. Trading Under $5/Share

Inspired by the Canadian Small Caps and Penny Stocks thread, I thought I'd create a thread to discuss US stocks. Same as before, let's keep it civilized and try to make some money! Remember, if it's good enough to screenshot and share to your investor buddies, then it's good enough to sell.

There's some info over at Reddit's RobinHood Penny Stocks that I've been using to make decisions on my trades. Stocktwits is another. There's a lot of garbage posts and circle jerks on both sites but occasionally, you'll find some good info in there. For example:

OCGN is presenting at a conference on February 17 so there may be a run up similar to the run up for ONTX over the past few days.
16 replies
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
14460 posts
3565 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
NIO Announces Additional US$100 Million Private Placements of Short-term Convertible Notes

NIO is pulling back right now due to this news. Currently trading at $3.77 which is the lowest it's been in the past month. Lowest it's been since start of 2020 is around $3.45. WKHS is also holding around $3.50. I got out yesterday and looking for an entry point. No news yet as to why WKHS ran up.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
14460 posts
3565 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Chinese electric carmaker NIO surges 30% as it confirms talks for more than $1.4 billion in funding

Was waiting for NIO to drop down to $3.70 after its run up 2 weeks ago, and once again it's up pre-market because of this news. If it gets the funding, it'll be huge for the company. They already sell electric cars in China and it's cars are actually affordable compared to Tesla.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
14460 posts
3565 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
WKHS is now under $2 due to the market dropping. They are going to produce up to 400 trucks this year and are likely to win the USPS contract where they will build new mail trucks to replace USPS aging truck. Generally speaking, this stock trades above $3. Good time to get in. My average is $2.60 and unfortunately I do not have the cash to buy more as its tied up in other stocks that are in the red.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2007
2409 posts
220 upvotes
geokilla wrote: WKHS is now under $2 due to the market dropping. They are going to produce up to 400 trucks this year and are likely to win the USPS contract where they will build new mail trucks to replace USPS aging truck. Generally speaking, this stock trades above $3. Good time to get in. My average is $2.60 and unfortunately I do not have the cash to buy more as its tied up in other stocks that are in the red.
Lol. Love how you keep this thread going all by yourself.

Nice job with WKHS
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
14460 posts
3565 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
ItechJester wrote: Lol. Love how you keep this thread going all by yourself.

Nice job with WKHS
Sadly I sold them after Q1 earnings when it dropped and the USPS contract got delayed. They also had huge going concern issues which was only resolved earlier this week with their $70m cash they got. The stock's been going up for the past month riding off of hype and some random analysts throwing a random price target. Their 10% equity with Lordstown Motors is going to be very nice in the future but as of this moment, I don't understand why the stock went from $2.50 to $22 in a month. Lordstown Motors isn't producing their EV pickup truck until next year at the earliest, and Workhorse commercial truck just passed safety but not yet in production I believe. They went from undervalued to overvalued, but I think I'm just analyzing the price wrong due to COVID.

I could've made so much bank if I held onto WKHS... Astonished Face

NIO doubled its market cap in the past month and I don't think they're going to go away. China won't let it fail and they're delivering way more EVs than last year. Even though the stock is overpriced, you might wanna get in for earnings.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2007
5856 posts
1324 upvotes
Winnipeg
geokilla wrote: Sadly I sold them after Q1 earnings when it dropped and the USPS contract got delayed. They also had huge going concern issues which was only resolved earlier this week with their $70m cash they got. The stock's been going up for the past month riding off of hype and some random analysts throwing a random price target. Their 10% equity with Lordstown Motors is going to be very nice in the future but as of this moment, I don't understand why the stock went from $2.50 to $22 in a month. Lordstown Motors isn't producing their EV pickup truck until next year at the earliest, and Workhorse commercial truck just passed safety but not yet in production I believe. They went from undervalued to overvalued, but I think I'm just analyzing the price wrong due to COVID.

I could've made so much bank if I held onto WKHS... Astonished Face

NIO doubled its market cap in the past month and I don't think they're going to go away. China won't let it fail and they're delivering way more EVs than last year. Even though the stock is overpriced, you might wanna get in for earnings.
Better than me.. i bought at $8.55.. and sold it at 9.50.. I felt embarrassed to invest in that company after that video conference..

Should bring your knowledge to my thread. - official-penny-stock-day-trade-short-term-2380738/
I'm heavily invested in MVIS right now.
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2007
2409 posts
220 upvotes
geokilla wrote:
ahhh. Shame about WKHS. Live and learn I hope.

NIO - I'm always weary of these tropes. The chinese government doesn't care enough to prop up a failing company. Their only goal would be to have a good chinese EV company, which there are many candidates. I doubt they care which one emerges as the top. I wouldn't put too much trust in the government "propping up" NIO. With that said, I think NIO is the most compelling china EV company, and most likely to succeed.
Dec 31, 2015
727 posts
170 upvotes
I haven't been on RFD for a while and haven't really been paying attention, but wow that list you posted in Feb all have had crazy gains. Good job. You seem to pick more winners than losers. Now if only I could find a 10 bagger this year, that would be nice lol
Sep 8, 2013
79 posts
33 upvotes
Windsor
Anyone else holding GNUS? My average is $3.66. I am hoping pre-market starts with some volume and pushes this up. Would love to exit half on open and the rest during Andy's conference call.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2007
5856 posts
1324 upvotes
Winnipeg
nathand wrote: Anyone else holding GNUS? My average is $3.66. I am hoping pre-market starts with some volume and pushes this up. Would love to exit half on open and the rest during Andy's conference call.
You're a brave soul. Good luck :)
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Aug 9, 2018
65 posts
37 upvotes
nathand wrote: Anyone else holding GNUS? My average is $3.66. I am hoping pre-market starts with some volume and pushes this up. Would love to exit half on open and the rest during Andy's conference call.
Sold my outstanding GNUS shares at $3.25 (break even for me) and happy to be done with it honestly.

Now if only CJJD can get pumped a bit. Still holding that one at a small loss ($1.61 average)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
14460 posts
3565 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I'll probably buy into CJJD soon. Support seems to be $1.40. Actually wanted to buy back in today but price went up so I'll hold out for a bit and see how it moves.

Don't bother with ZOM though. All they do are offerings and the float is ridiculous. EV stocks are hype right now. I regret selling SOLO on Friday for $3.30.
Sep 8, 2013
79 posts
33 upvotes
Windsor
RockstarLeo wrote: Sold my outstanding GNUS shares at $3.25 (break even for me) and happy to be done with it honestly.

Now if only CJJD can get pumped a bit. Still holding that one at a small loss ($1.61 average)
Lucky, im with WS and wanted to sell a bit above my average to cover the exchange rate. Should have sold. PM was nuts going from +15% to -% by open. Guess ill hold until they disappoint investors again.