None
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14448 posts
12324 upvotes
Going to the Moon

US Unlocked.com

Uses a virtual reloadable prepaid credit card with a US billing address. Potentially a good solution for a small spend, or for those who can't be bothered to jump through hoops to get a US card to buy from certain merchants in the US.

Haven't tried the service yet, but certainly tempted to trying it.

Aside using their partner shipping services, there's also a fee to load the prepaid card. It's not a flat fee, but definitely substantial on smaller amounts.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1464 posts
1123 upvotes
Hamilton, ON

Didn't know there were 20 months in the year...
Feb 1, 2018
961 posts
1098 upvotes
Montréal
Seems expensive for what they offer. Check out the fees. Yeesh!

A US shipping address is cheap and easy to acquire. This could be useful for those rare merchants who also require a US billing address -- though in my experience, it's always worth picking up the phone and calling first, since many US e-tailers who can't process a Canadian credit card online are happy to do so manually over the phone. And, failing that, many will accept Paypal. Paying this much money for something you'd only occasionally need in rare circumstances seems like a waste.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14448 posts
12324 upvotes
Going to the Moon
seriesofcontradictions wrote: Seems expensive for what they offer. Check out the fees. Yeesh!

A US shipping address is cheap and easy to acquire. This could be useful for those rare merchants who also require a US billing address -- though in my experience, it's always worth picking up the phone and calling first, since many US e-tailers who can't process a Canadian credit card online are happy to do so manually over the phone. And, failing that, many will accept Paypal. Paying this much money for something you'd only occasionally need in rare circumstances seems like a waste.
+1

In many cases, buying from a more expensive merchant within Canada may work out cheaper than using their service. What they offer can be good for the odd merchant who selectively only sells to US market, and who filters CC numbers by banks to prevent non-US cards from paying.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Feb 1, 2018
961 posts
1098 upvotes
Montréal
Yeah, I think I've encountered this maybe twice in my life (and I shop in the US a *lot*). In those cases, having an American friend or relative who's willing to help you out is the best option, IMHO.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14448 posts
12324 upvotes
Going to the Moon
seriesofcontradictions wrote: Yeah, I think I've encountered this maybe twice in my life (and I shop in the US a *lot*). In those cases, having an American friend or relative who's willing to help you out is the best option, IMHO.
+1
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14448 posts
12324 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Kiraly wrote: What's the exchange rate when you load the card? I couldn't find that on their site. Red flag. I'm not touching this without knowing that.
The forex is factored into the payment options given to load the card. They give a top-up option in CAD and two others in USD.

Just sharing the option with RFD. This is by no means a "hot deal" and is definitely a premium tarif to shop with a US MasterCard.