Travel

US will end Covid-19 testing requirement for air travelers entering the country (effective this Sunday, June 12)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2023 6:47 am
39 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7467 posts
4051 upvotes
Montreal
Finally. That is all.
Sep 1, 2015
299 posts
109 upvotes
Yes! Had test for Tuesday for Wednesday business trip. Perfect timing.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2015
5098 posts
4402 upvotes
Toronto, ON
When will the ArriveCan and masks onboard nonsense end in Canada, that is more important to me.
This is still good news as much less friction at the airport leaving for USA. I can't help but feel bad for so many small pharmacies who were making money from antigen tests.
Banned
May 19, 2022
60 posts
124 upvotes
canoek wrote: When will the ArriveCan and masks onboard nonsense end in Canada, that is more important to me.
Exactly. Canada is now a clear outlier in the western world with its refusal to acknowledge Covid is no longer the same threat as it was previously.
canoek wrote: I can't help but feel bad for so many small pharmacies who were making money from antigen tests.
They would have known it was bound to end at some point. Bad business planning if they invested a lot into it.
Last edited by Redmask on Jun 10th, 2022 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed reported political content in post.
Aug 19, 2015
518 posts
385 upvotes
Ajax, ON
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7467 posts
4051 upvotes
Montreal
lol at the downvote, people in this sub really downvote for no reason.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10120 posts
10230 upvotes
Too bad Asia is still mostly closed or even if open..lots of hoops to jump through to get there
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2009
1913 posts
1221 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Madevilz wrote: lol at the downvote, people in this sub really downvote for no reason.
Yeah, I don't get it. Wherever somebody talks about less restrictions they get a downvote. It's like some people want COVID to get worse.

And goodness help us if somebody talks about not being vaxxed. They are going to be drowned in downvotes.

I feel that we really need to try to respect other people's opinions these days, but I'm sure I'll get blasted for this :)
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2009
1913 posts
1221 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
StatsGuy wrote: Too bad Asia is still mostly closed or even if open..lots of hoops to jump through to get there
Agreed. I need a plan to get Japanese citizenship so I can go there without a babysitter ;)
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12570 upvotes
Markham
But they still need vaccination proof, right?
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2017
1859 posts
2808 upvotes
Madevilz wrote: lol at the downvote, people in this sub really downvote for no reason.
maybe because the circus at Pearson Airport continues regardless of this news…
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Anything in the Travel sub-forum has been getting downvotes ever since the pandemic. The stigma against travel and travelers has been pretty prevalent since the onset of COVID.

Great news about the COVID testing for the US going though! Was always weird that they didn't care if you drove but cared if you flew when you consider that you're more likely to get COVID once inside the US than bring it in anyways.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2015
5098 posts
4402 upvotes
Toronto, ON
uber_shnitz wrote: Anything in the Travel sub-forum has been getting downvotes ever since the pandemic. The stigma against travel and travelers has been pretty prevalent since the onset of COVID.

Great news about the COVID testing for the US going though! Was always weird that they didn't care if you drove but cared if you flew when you consider that you're more likely to get COVID once inside the US than bring it in anyways.
It was a similar situation in Canada. Go back to when you were forced to check into a hotel in Canada, but you could get a cab from US to Canada.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2015
5098 posts
4402 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Pardon wrote:
When are the masks coming off in planes now?
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
canoek wrote: It was a similar situation in Canada. Go back to when you were forced to check into a hotel in Canada, but you could get a cab from US to Canada.
I mean, there's some level of rational thought (aka less exposure in your own car than in a public space like an airport/plane) but yeah it was mostly pandering to specific demographics or politics for economic reasons than actually about reducing spread.
I've said this probably 50 times already so I apologize but border closures and travel bans have been studied and proven ineffective in the long run in preventing the spread of a pandemic unless you're an island nation that is economically self-sufficient.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2015
5098 posts
4402 upvotes
Toronto, ON
uber_shnitz wrote: I mean, there's some level of rational thought (aka less exposure in your own car than in a public space like an airport/plane) but yeah it was mostly pandering to specific demographics or politics for economic reasons than actually about reducing spread.
I've said this probably 50 times already so I apologize but border closures and travel bans have been studied and proven ineffective in the long run in preventing the spread of a pandemic unless you're an island nation that is economically self-sufficient.
Not that rational in practice since people from Asia were flying into JFK [get Covid test at airport] -> BUF -> Cab to Toronto or SEA -> Cab to Vancouver. There were facebook groups dedicated to this scheme and cabbies who specialized in this transfer.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1968 posts
1573 upvotes
510 represen'
uber_shnitz wrote: I've said this probably 50 times already so I apologize but border closures and travel bans have been studied and proven ineffective in the long run in preventing the spread of a pandemic unless you're an island nation that is economically self-sufficient.
I mean Australia and New Zealand basically fit this definition and indeed tried the sealed border policy; look how well that turned out for both. /s
Last edited by arkane on Jun 10th, 2022 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)