Health & Wellness

US will not reach herd immunity for Covid19, What does that mean for Canada?

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7758 posts
6975 upvotes
ROYinTO wrote: OTOH they cannot afford to become known as hot spot destinations. (Pun intended)
Cruise ships known for being floating petrie dishes will be likely be the first to set requirements. What they do will likely be influenced by the various countries setting standards for landings at their ports of call.
well people who don't believe/care about covid will still go as we've seen for past 9mths or however long mexico has been reopened despite crazy covid numbers out of there still. while those who do care are vaccinated so don't care. mexico and other carribean countries especially ones heavily dependent on tourism dollars will take the money and accept covid as a consequence.

it's unfortunate, as this will be conducive to potentially more VoC emerging
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7608 posts
1034 upvotes
Toronto, ON
StatsGuy wrote: is their hesitation due to the vaccines being developed so fast? i know lots of people who aren't antivax but also not getting the vaccine YET, they say will wait and see after other people go be guinea pigs first. granted these people i know are at very low risk of covid19 (Eg in a country with next to no community transmission and/or wfh and don't really interact with others)
The whole "guinea pig" argument makes no sense. At this point, any of the vaccines have been given to dramatically more humans than probably... most medications out there. I don't think person 300,000,001 can really say that they are being treated as a guinea pig.

That being said, the whole AZ debacle has, I think, fed that kind of thinking...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8755 posts
4373 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
My friends just south of the border (actually even a bit north of due east of me) tell me that quite a number of their neighbours in a pinkish area of a blue state refuse to be vaccinated though they've already contracted COVID (social gathering when there were orders not to). From what they observe, it is a politicised decision: Not-a-real-Republican-if-you-are-vaccinated sort of thing. My belief is that if numbers are ever crunched, I think there will be a strong correlation between how you vote(d in 2020) and whether you are fully vaccinated or not at all.

FWIW, a Vancouver Canucks hockey player - Jayce Hawryluk - has been diagnosed as having contracted COVID twice, a year apart. So much for immunity and how long it'll last.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
29100 posts
4787 upvotes
Montreal
thriftshopper wrote: My friends just south of the border (actually even a bit north of due east of me) tell me that quite a number of their neighbours in a pinkish area of a blue state refuse to be vaccinated though they've already contracted COVID (social gathering when there were orders not to). From what they observe, it is a politicised decision: Not-a-real-Republican-if-you-are-vaccinated sort of thing. My belief is that if numbers are ever crunched, I think there will be a strong correlation between how you vote(d in 2020) and whether you are fully vaccinated or not at all.

FWIW, a Vancouver Canucks hockey player - Jayce Hawryluk - has been diagnosed as having contracted COVID twice, a year apart. So much for immunity and how long it'll last.
That's how Republicans win the next election. Get their voters infected so that there is less them around to vote next year. Brilliant strategy.
Jul 5, 2003
787 posts
125 upvotes
Mississauga
Maybe the insurance companies will step in and might deny coverage to those who are not vaccinated. That should persuade a lot of people to get that vaccine.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8755 posts
4373 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Genia11 wrote: Maybe the insurance companies will step in and might deny coverage to those who are not vaccinated. That should persuade a lot of people to get that vaccine.
Huge numbers uninsured - equivalent of over half the population of Canada, and the number of over 65s (Medicare - ~60 million) and the poor on Medicaid (~75 million) - both unlikely to be kicked off, and you have some 40% of the U.S. population
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China