Credit Cards

USA Costco Anywhere Visa by Citi now accepted at Costco Canada

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2021 1:47 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Aug 15, 2009
307 posts
81 upvotes
North America

USA Costco Anywhere Visa by Citi now accepted at Costco Canada

Image

As of May 13th, 2019, Costco Canada warehouses now accept the American Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi for purchases. This is the only Visa credit card that Costco Canada will accept. I can confirm Visa PayWave (tap and go RFID) on the USA Costco Anywhere Visa works at the Canadian Costcos. The Capital One MasterCard (Costco Canada) has been accepted in American Costcos for some time.

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credi ... redit-card
4 replies
Member
Dec 12, 2016
343 posts
308 upvotes
bbbc wrote: Image

As of May 13th, 2019, Costco Canada warehouses now accept the American Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi for purchases. This is the only Visa credit card that Costco Canada will accept. I can confirm Visa PayWave (tap and go RFID) on the USA Costco Anywhere Visa works at the Canadian Costcos. The Capital One MasterCard (Costco Canada) has been accepted in American Costcos for some time.

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credi ... redit-card
This clearly goes against Visa’s own policy that instructs merchants that they are to accept all Visa branded cards and not ones from a specific program. Mind you, this is Costco we’re talking about who love to impose rules just for the sake of it.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
10163 posts
12144 upvotes
Vancouver
Here2day2 wrote: This clearly goes against Visa’s own policy that instructs merchants that they are to accept all Visa branded cards and not ones from a specific program. Mind you, this is Costco we’re talking about who love to impose rules just for the sake of it.
It was part of the deal that Costco made with Visa in the US and MC in Canada. Affiliated cards have to be accepted at Costcos in both countries, or no deal. Small price for Visa and MC to pay to get the Costco account.

And OP are you sure this is a new thing? I’m pretty sure this has been the case for a long time now.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Aug 15, 2009
307 posts
81 upvotes
North America
Kiraly wrote: And OP are you sure this is a new thing? I’m pretty sure this has been the case for a long time now.
Oh yeah, I'm sure. Canadians could use their Capital One Mastercard for well over a year at Costco USA clubs. Americans near the border were screwed using their Visa at Costco Canada until yesterday.

Top