Computers & Electronics

USB 3.0 powered 7 port hub, only 3 ports work.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2019 7:36 pm
[OP]
Jan 12, 2017
338 posts
112 upvotes

USB 3.0 powered 7 port hub, only 3 ports work.

Not so hot deal https://www.ebay.ca/itm/172787554326 Picked this up for ~$13 CDN 7 USB 3 ports, 4 are not usable, and the 3 that work are USB 2 order arrived in a month. Might still be worth a look; considering that the price has dropped through the floor with free shipping, includes the power supply and a cable. But if it's the seven ports that I need, this isn't what you want.

This Youtuber found out.

now:

US $3.99 What does this price mean?
You save:
US $0.88 (22% off)
Price:
US $3.11
Approximately C $4.13
Buy It Now -
12 replies
Aug 19, 2018
756 posts
695 upvotes
"You get what you pay for" applies very well here.

Honestly I'm surprised this is took so long to become known. I see this particular hub a lot and don't recall a lot of negativity around it. Maybe this is a fake one and some real one actual do work ?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1529 posts
997 upvotes
There is NO QC (quality control) by ebay resellers. It is either a HIT or a MISS.
Some ebay resellers do "bait and switch" and then made a partial refund by stating that they suffered losses.
Chasing for better results half a world away is too much time-consuming. For now, I can only blacklist such resellers from future purchases of greater value$.
LIVE LONG and suffer ...

:arrow: PEACE :arrowl:
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
4806 posts
736 upvotes
Montreal
I had one that looks exactly like the one in the picture. I paid something like $CAD10 when I bought it.

It actually worked quite well for me and I liked the idea of the on/off switches on each port. It was excellent for me for a long time but eventually the cable at the end of the hub became loose and it would lose the connection to the PC.
Phils
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3884 posts
789 upvotes
I have a 4 port version and works OK. Did you try to use the power plug came with it? I know some hubs with lots of ports do need power to work.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
4806 posts
736 upvotes
Montreal
The power plug was always connected. It's the connector from the hub to the computer that wouldn't stay in place.
Phils
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1150 posts
491 upvotes
GTA
I bought this 4 years ago that came with a power supply just so it can charge devices, it stopped powering them shortly after.

Anything from China whether if its Aliexpress, Wish, ebay, Amazon Marketplace, DealsExtreme are all going to have bad QC and that you have to consider that regardless if it was cheap or not.
You can buy a chinese branded USB charger for $50 that is a generic clone, which other sellers are selling for $5. The $5 might last forever while the $50 breaks in 1 week.

Being a person who regularly buys from China for cheap items for more than half a decade, there's not even a point to posting any deals from China in the hot deals section as the results are widely different.
Information Security Analyst
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Thread
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
8329 posts
1394 upvotes
Winnipeg
Its qc for its cost. I bought a usb ac 1200 adapter for I think it was 5 bucks off ebay. Did it work? yes but only If I held it in place in the usb port. The contacts were garbage
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1366 posts
223 upvotes
BC
What's with usb hubs? Never owned one, powered or otherwise, where all the Ports operated for any length. Think its because we all buy cheap and then complain about build quality.
Richmond: the only place where you need a sign that says no vehicle parking on the sidewalk, yet it’s still disobeyed
[OP]
Jan 12, 2017
338 posts
112 upvotes
I've got 4 external hard drives I want to hook up to my Nvidia Shield for entertainment purposes, would like a keyboard & mouse that in total occupies 5 ports, then another 2 just for pen drives or whatever. Anyone have a reliable multi-port USB 3 powered hub that didn't cost the earth?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6314 posts
4809 upvotes
North York
amazon. tons of them. you can probably buy a POWERED 10 port usb 3.0 for roughly $50 or less.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
8329 posts
1394 upvotes
Winnipeg
it depends. Mostly its the quality of ports. Then its the quality of psu. remember for usb 3 its .9 amps per port to meet rating. 7 ports? simple math would say 5v@6.3 amps min to be rated to support 7 usb 3 ports
amazon basics is usually pretty good. orico and even anker.