• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2021 2:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2006
16230 posts
567 upvotes

USB C to 3.5MM Headphone Jack Adapter

I bought this Wirelss lav mic. I'm trying to use it to record audio with my Pixel 5.

I bought this but it didn't work

I then tried to buy this one. It also didn't work.

Am I buying the wrong ones? Which one should I be looking for?
2013 Contest Win Wishlist
  • Leafs Tickets / iPad / E-Reader / 46" HDTV / PS3 Gaming System / Cash / Guitar / Keurig
16 replies
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7222 posts
2256 upvotes
0 downvotes
Hi JayTee.

The problem is NOT the phone or adaptor or microphone. The actual problem is the headphone jack is both an input and output jack, it has mic and earphone connections on the same plug.
your trying to plug a microphone only plug into a port engineered or wired for both mic and speaker. you need some kind of adaptor, they sell it at Canada Computers, that splits the microphone and speaker signals into independent ports.
-OR-
another solution you can do is find a usb-c adaptor that has 2 jacks on it, one for a standalone mic and another for an ear phones
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2006
16230 posts
567 upvotes
Thanks for the informative reply.

So something like this would work then?

Edit: I don't know if i'm typing in the wrong search terms in Amazon, but that was the only one I could find.
Last edited by JayTee1 on Aug 13th, 2021 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Leafs Tickets / iPad / E-Reader / 46" HDTV / PS3 Gaming System / Cash / Guitar / Keurig
Dec 24, 2007
979 posts
1549 upvotes
^^most likely, or you can use your existing usb c adapter and a TTRS breakout cable
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2006
16230 posts
567 upvotes
TrueToy wrote: ^^most likely, or you can use your existing usb c adapter and a TTRS breakout cable
So use my existing usb c adapter with something like this?
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7222 posts
2256 upvotes
0 downvotes
JayTee1 wrote: So use my existing usb c adapter with something like this?
no, that is a combiner, you want to break them apart. the AkoaDa Headset Adapter Audio Mic Splitter USB C Male to 2 Female you posted should work but remember, you need a standard headset, if you plug in your iphone or android headset with built in mic, the mic wont work, just the headset
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Sep 29, 2011
216 posts
173 upvotes
Quebec
not sure about the mic part but I also own a pixel phone (2XL).
I tried many cheap USB-C adaptors and none of them worked.
The only ones working are the Google and Apple ones (with the Apple one having a lower output power)
Did you tried using your stock Google USB to 3.5mm adaptor?
Last edited by guillaume019 on Aug 13th, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2006
16230 posts
567 upvotes
guillaume019 wrote: not sure about the mic part but I also own a pixel phone (2XL).
I tried many cheap USB-C adaptors and none of them worked.
The only ones forking and the Google and Apple ones (with the Apple one having a lower output power)
Did you tried using your stock Google USB to 3.5mm adaptor?
Thought you gave me the solution! Just checked my box, I don't have a stock USB to 3.5mm adapter. I have a quick transfer adapter.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2006
16230 posts
567 upvotes
So I bought this

I thought this would 100% work, 'cause it's a TRRS to type-C, but it still didn't work.

What am I doing wrong?
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2030 posts
1097 upvotes
Oakville
The amazon pictures do not show where the headphone jack is, but it looks like that synco system has a dedicated mic jack (which would be a mono TS jack) that is separate from the headphone jack (which would be a stereo TRS jack), and it is not an integrated headphone with mic jack (which would use a TRRS jack, which has a couple of wiring standards to decide which wire is L, R, and Mic)?

From the picture, it also looks like they provide a TRRS to TRS cable, and a TRS to TRS cable.

Does the manual specify if the headphone jack supports a mic input, or only stereo output and/or does the mic input jack also support audio output.

If it is two separate jacks, similar to how computers have separate jacks for audio and mic, then you would need a proper breakout cable that correctly matches up the appropriate Left Audio Out, Right Audio Out, and Mic Input wires.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2006
16230 posts
567 upvotes
cba123 wrote: The amazon pictures do not show where the headphone jack is, but it looks like that synco system has a dedicated mic jack (which would be a mono TS jack) that is separate from the headphone jack (which would be a stereo TRS jack), and it is not an integrated headphone with mic jack (which would use a TRRS jack, which has a couple of wiring standards to decide which wire is L, R, and Mic)?

From the picture, it also looks like they provide a TRRS to TRS cable, and a TRS to TRS cable.

Does the manual specify if the headphone jack supports a mic input, or only stereo output and/or does the mic input jack also support audio output.

If it is two separate jacks, similar to how computers have separate jacks for audio and mic, then you would need a proper breakout cable that correctly matches up the appropriate Left Audio Out, Right Audio Out, and Mic Input wires.
It has two separate jacks as you suspected, one for audio and one for mic.

So would I need something like this then?
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
15184 posts
6246 upvotes
RFD
Wish these guys, Apple and Google, would just keep a 3.5mm audio jack. I hope you find what you're looking for OP.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2030 posts
1097 upvotes
Oakville
JayTee1 wrote: It has two separate jacks as you suspected, one for audio and one for mic.

So would I need something like this then?
In your case, you have a female TRRS jack (that combines audio and mic) coming out of the USB-C phone adapter, and you have two separate female jacks for audio and mic on the Synco system, so what you really need is a a male to male Y splitter cable.

I think the Y splitter that you linked to earlier, and GoodFellaz said was wrong, would work since it is combiner going in one direction, but is a splitter going in the other direction.
https://www.amazon.ca/UGREEN-Headphone- ... B073ZDDTH2

The only issue with that Y splitter is that it has a female TRRS jack on the one end, so you would need to have a TRRS male (audio plus mic) to TRRS male (audio plus mic) cable to connect it to the USB-C headphone/mic adapter (assuming that particular one you have really is a headphone/mic adapter and not just a headphone-only adapter). From the earlier pictures, it looks like the Synco system may came with a male TRRS to male TRRS cable that you could use (can't quite tell in the picture if both ends are TRRS or if one end is TRS).

If it not a TRRS to TRRS cable then you would also need this to connect the USB-C adapter to the Y splitter.
https://www.amazon.ca/UGREEN-Auxiliary- ... B08RB17ZY1

You could use this Y splitter, but it has two female jacks and you would need two male to male cables.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B073ZCWDZY

The other one you posted should work as well, but again, since it has two female jacks, you would need two male to male cables.
https://www.amazon.ca/Splitter-Headphon ... B091GFPHXN

Have you already tested the USB-C adapter with a regular set of headphones plus mic to see if it that adapter supports the mic.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7222 posts
2256 upvotes
0 downvotes
cba123 wrote:
The other one you posted should work as well, but again, since it has two female jacks, you would need two male to male cables.
https://www.amazon.ca/Splitter-Headphon ... B091GFPHXN

Have you already tested the USB-C adapter with a regular set of headphones plus mic to see if it that adapter supports the mic.
of course he would need a male to male cable, if u see the pic of his wireless mic it comes with one, one would go in there. the other male to male cable? is not needed because the other jack is a headphone jack, and only used if u want to listen to sound coming out of the android phone if u dont need to listen, then leave disconnected
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6953 posts
4685 upvotes
SW ON
JayTee1 wrote: What am I doing wrong?
Pretty much you need an equivalent of a sound card. USB is purely digital - it has nothing to do with sound. Those USB C to Headphone Jack "adapters" are DACs, digital-to-analog converters, kind of half of a sound card. But if you need to record from a microphone you need an ADC, analog to digital converter, the other half of a sound card. Because everybody uses phones to listen only, most of those adapters include only DACs and not ADCs. When choosing one you need to make sure they advertise capability to record sound. I don't know if such exist. I think your best bet would be a Bluetooth microphone. Or a wired headset know to work with your phone. I don't know if such exists.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1440 posts
769 upvotes
TORONTO
Look at the iRig2. Sounds like you're trying to record on your phone. I bought one to stream dj sets via Twitch and was planning on using my iphone as the camera/audio input. Never got around to it. But from what I understand, the irig2 and similar products can convert analog to digital for your phone.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7222 posts
2256 upvotes
0 downvotes

Can you guys see this picture? i posted about this a while back, this breaks out the single headphone jack into two independent jacks one for microphone and one for headphones.

why is everyone ignoring my perfectly good solution and pretending i do not exist?
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!