• Jan 7th, 2023 11:20 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11514 posts
1487 upvotes
GVR

Usb-c “hub” with HDMI and pass thru power delivery

Looking for an affordable usb-c hub I can plug into my laptop or iPad to hook up to my tv. I suppose I’d want 4K 60hz at least if available? Seems almost all lost 30hz. Not sure if this is very noticeable with video content?

Ideally 100w power delivery pass through support (for laptop)
3 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26775 posts
24224 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Kaitlyn wrote: Looking for an affordable usb-c hub I can plug into my laptop or iPad to hook up to my tv. I suppose I’d want 4K 60hz at least if available? Seems almost all lost 30hz. Not sure if this is very noticeable with video content?

Ideally 100w power delivery pass through support (for laptop)
There are literally dozens of them at all price points. Spend some time on Amazon comparing features, reviews, prices, etc. You may be able to find something that does the job for less than the Anker (below.) In any case with Amazon you can return the hub if it doesn't work to your satisfaction.

Or visit review sites and choose one of their picks. For example, the NY Times' Wirecutter: The Best USB Hubs rates Anker USB C Hub, 555 USB-C Hub (8-in-1), with 100W Power Delivery, 4K 60Hz HDMI Port, 10Gbps USB C and 2 USB A Data Ports, Ethernet Port, microSD and SD Card Reader, for MacBook Pro and More for $100 as their best pick.

Also note their comment, "Plenty of USB-C hubs have a port selection similar to that of the Anker PowerExpand 8-in-1 USB-C PD 10Gbps Data Hub, but almost none of them support the 4K video signal at 60 Hz that more modern monitors are capable of." So if 60Hz refresh is important to you then this seems like a good bet.

P.S. Another option to consider if you're also looking for a new monitor is to get a model that has a USB-C built-in. They're not that much more expensive than similar models without a hub but they're guaranteed to work and they're also more convenient than a separate hub. The one I got even uses a common power supply to power both the monitor and the laptop.
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11514 posts
1487 upvotes
GVR
bylo wrote: There are literally dozens of them at all price points. Spend some time on Amazon comparing features, reviews, prices, etc. You may be able to find something that does the job for less than the Anker (below.) In any case with Amazon you can return the hub if it doesn't work to your satisfaction.

Or visit review sites and choose one of their picks. For example, the NY Times' Wirecutter: The Best USB Hubs rates Anker USB C Hub, 555 USB-C Hub (8-in-1), with 100W Power Delivery, 4K 60Hz HDMI Port, 10Gbps USB C and 2 USB A Data Ports, Ethernet Port, microSD and SD Card Reader, for MacBook Pro and More for $100 as their best pick.

Also note their comment, "Plenty of USB-C hubs have a port selection similar to that of the Anker PowerExpand 8-in-1 USB-C PD 10Gbps Data Hub, but almost none of them support the 4K video signal at 60 Hz that more modern monitors are capable of." So if 60Hz refresh is important to you then this seems like a good bet.

P.S. Another option to consider if you're also looking for a new monitor is to get a model that has a USB-C built-in. They're not that much more expensive than similar models without a hub but they're guaranteed to work and they're also more convenient than a separate hub. The one I got even uses a common power supply to power both the monitor and the laptop.
Thanks

To be honest I have no ones if I want/need it. I have a Vizio P65-F1 which is 4K but I think also a 120Hz panel? Wouldn’t 30Hz movies/streams look real bad on that?

If not then maybe any one that has 30hz is fine?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26775 posts
24224 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Kaitlyn wrote: To be honest I have no ones if I want/need it. I have a Vizio P65-F1 which is 4K but I think also a 120Hz panel? Wouldn’t 30Hz movies/streams look real bad on that?

If not then maybe any one that has 30hz is fine?
Don't know. It probably also depends on the specifications of the laptop or tablet you're using. AFAIK 60Hz is standard but higher refresh rates are possible if the video source, adapter, cable support and monitor all support it. See e.g. How to connect USB-C to HDMI 2.1?
veni, vidi, Visa