Computers & Electronics

USB - C? Are you guys digging the USB-C on the new macs?

• Last Updated:
  • May 7th, 2018 3:41 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 23, 2017
34 posts
44 upvotes

USB - C? Are you guys digging the USB-C on the new macs?

Is the MacBook Air going to be obsolete ? Seems they are moving away from 3.0?
Thread Summary
NEW MACBOOKS
10 replies
Mar 29, 2015
229 posts
73 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I really like, it has made docking my laptop much easier with a single cable to connect USB devices, external hard drives, external monitors with eGPU's and a 2.1 sound bar. When I'm out I need to use 1 dongle, but it has HDMI, USB and power, plus I can use it on either side. The only thing I don't like is that iPhones don't have it yet and that means carrying another cable with me just in case.

The tech world is still in the transitioning phase between USB type-a and type-c. A few more years and everything should have type-c. The MacBook Air would only be obsolete due to the hardware inside not being updated, and even if it was updated to USB type-c it wouldn't change much. Everything you did before on older versions should still be possible, albeit a dongle or two.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19050 posts
2017 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Android phones seem to be doing it. My Mi A1 has it. All my other hardware are still in micro-usb.

As long as they are paired with regular USB 1.3, 2.0, 3.0 and then the new adapter, I don't care.
Jan 14, 2010
278 posts
49 upvotes
Ottawa
I've had it on my Nexus 6P, and now my Pixel XL, and my Asus C302 Chromebook has 2 USB-C ports for everything (including charging).

I definitely like it. The adapters are a bit of a short term pain, but the flexibility of those ports is what really has me sold on the tech. One plug and I can have power, HDMI out, and any reasonable number of USB devices.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18339 posts
4733 upvotes
Toronto
USB-C is OK, but the implementation on the MacBook Pros is better than on the MacBook 12". I have to carry around a USB-A to USB-C adapter with me though.

The MacBook 12" really needs two USB-C ports. It actually has two ports, but one of them is a headphone jack. If they are adamant they don't want more ports then they should remove the headphone jack and put in a 2nd USB-C port, and then sell a USB-C to 3.5" mm adapter for headphones.

I can deal with having just USB-C port, but it's still annoying since charging the laptop uses USB-C port. If you want to plug something in, either you need to unplug the power, or else buy a hub which has charging pass-through, but then you need to have the hub with you.

Luckily the battery life is long enough that I usually don't need to bother carrying around a charger. What I generally do is carry around a USB-C adapter for USB-A devices and that's it. I don't even bother carrying around the power adapter unless I'm travelling. I have an iPad 10 Watt adapter at work that I use to charge my headphones and iPad, but I can use that to charge my MacBook as well, as long as I have a USB-C cable for it.

The other thing is Apple needs to implement ThunderBolt 3 over USB-C on the MacBook. It's in the Pros, but not the non-Pro MacBook. That would allow more flexibility in terms of monitor support and hubs, among other things.

Interestingly, come 2019 we might get a quad-core Ice Lake MacBook with an updated USB-C with Thunderbolt 3 support. and 10 Gbps USB. (Right now it's 5 Gbps.)

Oh and it'd be nice if they made the iPhones USB-C. Let's get rid of Lightning cables.

---

As for the MacBook Air, I wouldn't be surprised if they discontinued it relatively soon. It's still using Broadwell, so it didn't get the multimedia upgrades all the other Mac laptops enjoy.

However, there is rumour of a 13" MacBook, and this could replace the 13" Air. It should also be noted that there are leaks for a new ARM A12 chip (coming in the next iPhone), built on a 7 nm process, which supposedly scores 5200/13000 in Geekbench 4.

https://m.weibo.cn/status/4236380060065313

That would make it faster than Intel's fastest Y series Core i7 fanless laptop/tablet chip, meaning it would be a good candidate to appear in a 13" MacBook. Also even an A11X, rumoured to be manufactured for the new iPad Pro on 7 nm, would also suffice.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8604 posts
3031 upvotes
mmx4000 wrote: I've had it on my Nexus 6P, and now my Pixel XL, and my Asus C302 Chromebook has 2 USB-C ports for everything (including charging).

I definitely like it. The adapters are a bit of a short term pain, but the flexibility of those ports is what really has me sold on the tech. One plug and I can have power, HDMI out, and any reasonable number of USB devices.
I didn't bother with the adapters. Just started to turn over my stock of cables to USB C. Still keep a few micros around for older stuff too though.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18339 posts
4733 upvotes
Toronto
Gutty96 wrote: I didn't bother with the adapters. Just started to turn over my stock of cables to USB C. Still keep a few micros around for older stuff too though.
This is still a problem with USB thumb drives, since everyone has USB-A.
Jan 14, 2010
278 posts
49 upvotes
Ottawa
EugW wrote: This is still a problem with USB thumb drives, since everyone has USB-A.
I keep 2-3 USB C to A adapters in my laptop bag. Cheap and solves that problem. In the 5 months I've had the laptop, I only used them twice so far. USB C thumb drives are only going to get more and more popular as the standard gets more common.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18339 posts
4733 upvotes
Toronto
mmx4000 wrote: I keep 2-3 USB C to A adapters in my laptop bag. Cheap and solves that problem. In the 5 months I've had the laptop, I only used them twice so far. USB C thumb drives are only going to get more and more popular as the standard gets more common.
That's what I do, although I just bought a USB-A to USB-C adapter that attaches to a keychain. It will keep company for my Lightning to 3.5 mm audio jack adapter, which I also have on the keychain.

Dammit Apple and your stupid dongles! ;)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8604 posts
3031 upvotes
EugW wrote: This is still a problem with USB thumb drives, since everyone has USB-A.
Ah, I never thought of those. I rarely use them any more.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18393 posts
2787 upvotes
Langley
I just like that it's reversable. Usually it took me 3 or 4 tries to get usb cables plugged in the right orientation.