Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2079 posts
2278 upvotes
Toronto

USB Receptacles

Want to upgrade my current older gen dual USB receptacles as well as put more in my daughters condo. Number one has to be a good reliable brand, thinking of sticking with leviton. The leviton 2 port regular usb has 3.6Amps....is there another reliable brand that has more?

Question is to go with 2 regular USB ports or to go with 1 regular USB with the 2nd port being a USB-C. Sort of gives you some future proofing as many devices are shipping with usb-c in future, regular usb has been the standard forever but USB-C does seem to be picking up steam across all electronics not just tablets.

Guess we can go 2 USB-C but then all my current gadgets would need new charging cables, that ain't going to happen.

Thoughts everyone, what would you deploy/redeploy in your house.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1577 posts
828 upvotes
Toronto
Recommend going both USB C for future proofing with power delivery like this one:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/levito ... 1001609121

Many devices can take advantage of the faster charging.

Buy a couple usb C to A adapters like this so you can keep using your old cables and eventually upgrade your cables as you get new devices.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07XYTHCXV/ref ... ZH92JXTQEC
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7194 posts
2229 upvotes
0 downvotes
I was thinking about getting usb outlets, but then I said to my self, why go thru all the hastle of opening the outlet and ripping it out and wiring in a new outlet with usb plugs, only for the standard to change in a few years anyways right?
I can simply buy a wall tap that plugs into the socket, it will give me 4 outlets and 4 usb ports, and i dont need to do any electrical work, and it looks nice., this is the solution i will go with.
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Mar 31, 2013
273 posts
1030 upvotes
Courtenay, BC
GoodFellaz wrote: I was thinking about getting usb outlets, but then I said to my self, why go thru all the hastle of opening the outlet and ripping it out and wiring in a new outlet with usb plugs, only for the standard to change in a few years anyways right?
I can simply buy a wall tap that plugs into the socket, it will give me 4 outlets and 4 usb ports, and i dont need to do any electrical work, and it looks nice., this is the solution i will go with.
This! , the way I look at it, it is just one more piece of equipment to fail......same reason why I shy away from light fixtures with built in leds vs removable bulbs. I'd rather change a light bulb vs a whole fixture and all the work that may go with the replacement ( drywall patching, painting etc)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2079 posts
2278 upvotes
Toronto
Putting in a new receptacle is easy enough, 10 minutes and my house will look better without all those charging blocks sticking out imho. I have usb receptacles now and would not do without them, only doing an upgrade to get more in line with future proofing as many devices have transferred over.

Thank you BST I forgot about utilizing usbc to USB in cases where we had an old cable to use....and transfer over to new usbc cables over a few months. The best of both options.

The 2 usb is the least expensive receptacles to buy, followed by the 1 usb/1usbc receptacle and highest priced the 2 usbc receptacle.

After reading BST response I believe putting in now the 2 HSBC makes the most sense, with a couple of USB-C to USB gender benders for miscellaneous cables/needs.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1577 posts
828 upvotes
Toronto
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: Putting in a new receptacle is easy enough, 10 minutes and my house will look better without all those charging blocks sticking out imho. I have usb receptacles now and would not do without them, only doing an upgrade to get more in line with future proofing as many devices have transferred over.

Thank you BST I forgot about utilizing usbc to USB in cases where we had an old cable to use....and transfer over to new usbc cables over a few months. The best of both options.

The 2 usb is the least expensive receptacles to buy, followed by the 1 usb/1usbc receptacle and highest priced the 2 usbc receptacle.

After reading BST response I believe putting in now the 2 HSBC makes the most sense, with a couple of USB-C to USB gender benders for miscellaneous cables/needs.
Glad you are going with the 2 USB-C receptacle option with a couple of USB-C->A adapters! To be honest I just keep that dongle attached to my USB-A to Micro cable because that's the only cable I don't have directly to USB C.

Agreed - would not go with a separate power brick. Built-in looks miles better than having a power brick always attached to an outlet. This is especially true for kitchen receptacles.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11946 posts
7118 upvotes
Paris
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: Putting in a new receptacle is easy enough, 10 minutes and my house will look better without all those charging blocks sticking out imho. I have usb receptacles now and would not do without them, only doing an upgrade to get more in line with future proofing as many devices have transferred over.

By putting in 2 USB-C and then adapting to USB-A arent you just doing the same thing as a normal outlet with adapters to USB-A?
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7469 posts
4091 upvotes
Debtario
GoodFellaz wrote: I was thinking about getting usb outlets, but then I said to my self, why go thru all the hastle of opening the outlet and ripping it out and wiring in a new outlet with usb plugs, only for the standard to change in a few years anyways right?
EXACTLY my thoughts.

More often than not with any device combining USB outlets with regular outlets, I find that something gets plugged in and blocks access to the USB outlets - usually ac adapters and such.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Jan 7, 2006
720 posts
439 upvotes
Toronto
Pre pandemic when there were places to go, usb recepticals were great... I could leave all my chargers packed in a travel bag.

I had older usb A outlets where I normally would charge, swapped a few to USB C when I got a USB C phone . Also added USB A behind the tv to drive Chromecast without a wall wart (before they were built into TV's) and a led string. Even used one for a crappy Wyze cam at one point.

The convenience is worth it imo.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2015 posts
1085 upvotes
Oakville
bst wrote: Built-in looks miles better than having a power brick always attached to an outlet. This is especially true for kitchen receptacles.
The kitchen counter is the only place that may make sense to use these, but you can't install them if your kitchen outlets are 15amp split receptacles. If your kitchen uses 20amp receptacles, then you should get and install the 20amp version and not the 15amp version. While a 15amp receptacle on a 20amp circuit is allowed by code (20amp receptacle on 15amp circuit is not allowed), you are really limiting the available power that your kitchen outlets were designed to handle.

For floor level outlets, I don't see any reason to use these, as the outlets are usually hidden behind furniture that you are placing your devices on anyways, unless you are the type that puts a shelf above their outlet to place their devices on.

I would rather get a tabletop USB charging station (with worldwide voltage input) that I can use at home and can take with me when I travel. https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/be ... -stations/ for examples of what I mean.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2079 posts
2278 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote: By putting in 2 USB-C and then adapting to USB-A arent you just doing the same thing as a normal outlet with adapters to USB-A?
The adapters in this case are tiny, no where near using a plug in AC adapter.

This gets me everything set for the years ahead as USB-C is the standard for the next while. The small adapter is just for legacy charging cables hanging around, plan is however to replace all legacy cables in time to USB-C...with the most often used ones first.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11946 posts
7118 upvotes
Paris
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: The adapters in this case are tiny, no where near using a plug in AC adapter.

This gets me everything set for the years ahead as USB-C is the standard for the next while. The small adapter is just for legacy charging cables hanging around, plan is however to replace all legacy cables in time to USB-C...with the most often used ones first.
The problem I see with USB-C will be the same as with USB-A. You will end up needing higher voltage over time.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2079 posts
2278 upvotes
Toronto
USB-A had to have been around for 10 years now so i got the use out of my current receptacle, changing over to USB-C will then give me another 10 years and will again be a pretty good investment converting the one or two locations that are most frequently used. Gotta take the jump some time and now is as good as any, just want to make sure which way to jump. After reading all these posts definitely seems like the USB-C is the way to jump as you are jumping forward not backward.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7194 posts
2229 upvotes
0 downvotes

Your correct that by REPLACING your existing outlet with a outlet with usb ports, you benefit by getting 2 usb outlets in addition to your existing duplex outlets, which is a good thing for you. I look at it differently, i know its easy to swap an outlet, but i find that 2 electrical sockets are not enough to begin with especially in a bedroom near a night table, man I have so many devices to plug in to my outlet, CPAP/APAP, Bed Lamp, Amazon Echo, cellphone charger, piano, radio power cable,

If I installed usb c outlet, I would still not solve other issue of having not enough plugs ,so i thoght to just buy a 4 or more port wall tap with usb c plugs and plug it in, then i can plug my lamp, cpap, piano, and another device, then i can use the usb-c ports to connect to my phone charger, watch charger or alexa.

you dont even ueed usb c to usb A, adaptors, if your alexa uses usb micro, you can get usb C to usb micro cable and use that from the tap or outlet to your alexa and avoid using dongles or adaptors.
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2079 posts
2278 upvotes
Toronto
A tight fit but installed and working well. Thanks to all for their input.

20210821_152814.jpg