• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2019 11:35 am
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 23, 2019
28 posts
4 upvotes

USD account with debit card?

Hi, I am looking for an USD account which I can apply in Canada with debit card so that I can make purchase and withdraw in states, deposit USD checks, send USD to another USA bank account, etc. Could anyone give me some suggestions? Thank you so much.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
3669 posts
1891 upvotes
Gotham
You can apply and obtain a Royal Bank (Georgia) bank account from Canada. i did that. TD might have the same setup.

A US bank account at a US institution is better imo as many are no-fee. I don't think you will be able to apply in Canada for these. It's best just to drive cross the border and get it done.

Check out this thread, cross-border-us-banking-credit-cards-me ... ad-943374/
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2126 posts
2043 upvotes
Vancouver
Like @batcave said, it's better to get a USD account at a U.S. bank. Lots of issues with trying to use a USD account at a Canadian bank for U.S. functions.

BMO Harris is another option. No problem to open an account from Canada, and they will send you a debit Mastercard on request.

But you don't have to limit yourself to U.S. subsidiaries of Canadian banks. There's actually little advantage in doing so, as they often operate independently with few links between them. Canadian staff are often clueless about the U.S. subsidiaries, so contact the U.S. side directly.
Dec 1, 2016
802 posts
714 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: Like @batcave said, it's better to get a USD account at a U.S. bank. Lots of issues with trying to use a USD account at a Canadian bank for U.S. functions.

BMO Harris is another option. No problem to open an account from Canada, and they will send you a debit Mastercard on request.

But you don't have to limit yourself to U.S. subsidiaries of Canadian banks. There's actually little advantage in doing so, as they often operate independently with few links between them. Canadian staff are often clueless about the U.S. subsidiaries, so contact the U.S. side directly.
I did this on a recent trip. Dont waste your time with BMO here, contact BMO Harris directly. They will go through the process over the phone with you (30-45 minutes). Once that is set up use sb like transferwise to transfer money into this account. I do not recommend using BMO's direct transfer )from you Canadian USD account into BMO Harris). Once you have money in the account you can use the debit card to pay directly. If you need cash then i would not use the none BMO ATM's, instead go to walmart and do cashback ($100 at the time). Some states dont have BMO ATM's so Walmart cashback is your best option as there is no fee :)
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2126 posts
2043 upvotes
Vancouver
Bubblegum86 wrote: If you need cash then i would not use the none BMO ATM's, instead go to walmart and do cashback ($100 at the time). Some states dont have BMO ATM's so Walmart cashback is your best option as there is no fee :)
Thanks for that tip. So no fee from BMO Harris either for using Walmart cashback?
Dec 1, 2016
802 posts
714 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: Thanks for that tip. So no fee from BMO Harris either for using Walmart cashback?
That is correct.