• Last Updated:
  • Oct 6th, 2018 1:57 am
[OP]
Jun 11, 2015
288 posts
237 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

USD ATM machines that link to USD accounts

Many Canadian banks have USD ATMs in Canadian branches.

In some cases, these accounts can link to your USD account at that bank and allow you to get fee-free USD. RBC appears to be this way.

In other cases, these accounts can only be used to withdraw money from a CAD account (after paying a hefty conversion fee). TD appears to be this way.

Does anyone have any experience about which banks and USD ATMs support withdrawals from USD accounts?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2484 posts
1480 upvotes
Winnipeg
CIBC allows USD withdrawals and deposits at many of their ATMs
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
1487 posts
790 upvotes
TORONTO
Many Scotia branches have a dedicated USD ATM for withdrawals from USD accounts.
Apr 23, 2017
788 posts
1273 upvotes
I know some RBC branch ATMS in Toronto give one the choice of getting USD directly from one's RBC (Canada) USD account, or to take the USD from one's RBC CDN account at a conversion rate. I have done both successfully. These RBC ATMs only give the option of getting USD twenty dollar bills though (no other denominations offered).

What I can't do is take out USD in the US from my Canada-based USD account using my RBC (blue colour) Canadian debit card. They only give the option of taking the USD from CDN accounts with a conversion fee. The workaround is the transfer USD from RBC Canadian USD accounts to RBC USA Bank USD account (no fee to do this online) then use the separate RBC USA debit card (the one with the CAN/US flags on it) to take out the USD from the US ATM in the USA.

Not sure why they don't just allow USD from RBC Canada USD account to be taken out directly in the USA. I have not yet attempted to take out USD in Canada from a RBC Canada ATM using a RBC USA Bank debit card (the CAN-US flag design one) , though I recall someone on here said it doesn't work and the only option the ATM gives is to take out CDN$ with a conversion fee (the USD option doesn't appear on the ATM screen).
May 16, 2017
702 posts
689 upvotes
HermanH wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 2:11 am

Not sure why they don't just allow USD from RBC Canada USD account to be taken out directly in the USA.
Primarily because the ONLY ATM access to that RBC Canada USD account is from an RBC ATM - there is no interac/non-RBC network access to USD (or any other currency denominated account).
Aug 2, 2018
94 posts
71 upvotes
At the moment, you cannot deposit USD cash/check into your USD account via ATM.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2484 posts
1480 upvotes
Winnipeg
goingaround1 wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 1:50 am
At the moment, you cannot deposit USD cash/check into your USD account via ATM.
With CIBC you can. (and scotia you can via the mobile app)
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
[OP]
Jun 11, 2015
288 posts
237 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Shawguy wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 9:23 am
Interesting. Is that for Canadian USD checks or US USD checks or both?
Aug 2, 2018
94 posts
71 upvotes
Shawguy wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 9:23 am
Thank you for the enlightment