Use 4 stroke oil on 2 stroke equipment

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2019 10:07 pm
[OP]
Aug 1, 2016
96 posts
22 upvotes

Use 4 stroke oil on 2 stroke equipment

Will it do any damage to use 4 stroke oil mix with gas for 2 stroke trimmer/mower?
Some say 2 stroke oil designed to burn and lubricate better
Some say oil is oil, it’s sell gimmick, all oils come from the same factory, 2 stroke they just add color.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8586 posts
5438 upvotes
Kootenays
4 stroke oil comes in many different weights. I would never consider using it in a 2 stroke mix, but if you did, how would you guess the weight to use? I have a number of higher end Stihl and Husqvarna machines and will only use more expensive Stihl or Husky brand 50:1 oil. I do buy it by the litre ($12.75/L for Husqvarna), so there's a bit of a savings there.

Cole's Notes: It will work in an emergency, but burns dirtier, gums up and the oil separates in the fuel. Not worth it.
Last edited by smacd on Dec 4th, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1710 posts
909 upvotes
Toronto
Funny story from last week. Friend of mine's FIL is over for the weekend - 80 year old lifelong farmer and outdoorsman. He gets to teaching us chainsaw chain sharpening and the topic of oil comes up. He laughs and says he has only ever used old/used engine oil in his 2 stroke machines. Says "winter" and "summer" oils along with chain oil is bulls**t and he has never bought 2 stroke oil in his life. Opened my eyes. While I would never do it on a new Stihl, I will certainly not hesitate to use old oil in older machines from now on.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16029 posts
4867 upvotes
London
titeo1106 wrote: Will it do any damage to use 4 stroke oil mix with gas for 2 stroke trimmer/mower?
Some say 2 stroke oil designed to burn and lubricate better
Some say oil is oil, it’s sell gimmick, all oils come from the same factory, 2 stroke they just add color.
No - don’t do this

Two stroke oil is designed to be burnt and not leave deposits.

Regular motor oil will leave unburned oil and carbon deposits which will plug the exhaust port on a 2 stroke engine = dead motor - take it apart to scrape out the exhaust port
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9639 posts
5036 upvotes
Paris
hoponpop wrote: Funny story from last week. Friend of mine's FIL is over for the weekend - 80 year old lifelong farmer and outdoorsman. He gets to teaching us chainsaw chain sharpening and the topic of oil comes up. He laughs and says he has only ever used old/used engine oil in his 2 stroke machines. Says "winter" and "summer" oils along with chain oil is bulls**t and he has never bought 2 stroke oil in his life. Opened my eyes. While I would never do it on a new Stihl, I will certainly not hesitate to use old oil in older machines from now on.
This is reminiscent of the Second World War thinking though... Those old Jeeps and motor cycles were made to run on Octane levels of 45. Try putting that stuff into a modern car now and see how fast you smoke the engine.

I remember 15-20 years ago they said to put small engines away with a full fuel tank and stabilizer. Now they say to run them dry as the Ethanol will melt the fuel lines. Things change.
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1710 posts
909 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote: This is reminiscent of the Second World War thinking though... Those old Jeeps and motor cycles were made to run on Octane levels of 45. Try putting that stuff into a modern car now and see how fast you smoke the engine.

I remember 15-20 years ago they said to put small engines away with a full fuel tank and stabilizer. Now they say to run them dry as the Ethanol will melt the fuel lines. Things change.
I completely agree but a solid dude telling great stories surrounded by old tools, wood stove fire, drinking beer and working on engines put me into a bromance fog. He could have told me to jump in front of a bus and I would have done it in the moment.

If I had mentioned the word Ethanol, we probably would've bitch-slapped me.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9639 posts
5036 upvotes
Paris
hoponpop wrote: I completely agree but a solid dude telling great stories surrounded by old tools, wood stove fire, drinking beer and working on engines put me into a bromance fog. He could have told me to jump in front of a bus and I would have done it in the moment.

If I had mentioned the word Ethanol, we probably would've bitch-slapped me.
My Dad is 75 and used to do this stuff all the time in the 80s. Farm kid raised with nothing and went to school and got off the farm. Now he follows instructions after blowing up a chainsaw with his old school tricks.