Personal Finance

Use Amazon Visa card like a prepaid card?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2016 9:57 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2008
1112 posts
297 upvotes
Montréal

Use Amazon Visa card like a prepaid card?

Hi,

I just got my Amazon Visa card that I've choose because of the no foreign transaction fee which will be useful for our one month travel in Germany. I want to know if I could use it like s prepaid card. I'll put money on it ( Canadian) and I will withdraw euros with it. Is it doable ?

Thanks !
6 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2008
1112 posts
297 upvotes
Montréal
192 pages, but thanks for the link, I just saw that there's some usefull info there.

So one person says yes and another one says no. Who is right ?

EDIT:it seems to be doable but a lot of hassle. My cash advance limit is (i guess) 1.2 k. So I wlll get only that amount to withdraw for the whole month ?
Dec 1, 2012
202 posts
32 upvotes
tostaky wrote: Hi,

I just got my Amazon Visa card that I've choose because of the no foreign transaction fee which will be useful for our one month travel in Germany. I want to know if I could use it like s prepaid card. I'll put money on it ( Canadian) and I will withdraw euros with it. Is it doable ?

Thanks !
Even without putting any money on the card, you can withdraw money from the card, subject to your credit limit and would incur cash advance fee and interest (where applicable). So the answer is yes.

Can you withdraw euros? Depends on where you are, in Germany, you withdraw through cash advance, you get Euros. If you are in Japan, you get yen. In USA,you get USD. In Canada, you get CAD.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21910 posts
2724 upvotes
tostaky wrote: 192 pages, but thanks for the link, I just saw that there's some usefull info there.

So one person says yes and another one says no. Who is right ?

EDIT:it seems to be doable but a lot of hassle. My cash advance limit is (i guess) 1.2 k. So I wlll get only that amount to withdraw for the whole month ?
Those questions were answered in the last few pages of the thread. You can also search the thread.
May 22, 2004
601 posts
160 upvotes
Montreal
Yes this will work. As other people said, it's up to your cash limit which is less than or equal to 20% of your credit limit. You will pay $5 per withdrawal. I just did this in South Korea and the conversion cost was about half of using my bank card.